• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Our scouting network

what, watching the likes of Lineker, Gascoigne, Nayim, Anderton, Sheringham, Barmby, Klinsmann, Popescu, Ginola ???? it wasnt all bad you know, my GHod how id love to see a Ginola or Klinsmann light up the Lane at the moment :(

Did you just list all the best attacking players of a decade in the same sentence?

I'm sure if we do that for the last 10 seasons there's a decent list of players in there too...

We got rid of them all in summer 2012 and never replaced them. As well as Broomfield, we sacked Peter Senior and a few others too.

Remember there was a story a few weeks ago about a Baldini-Sherwood power struggle over this appointment: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tottenham-boss-tim-sherwood-power-2989784

It looks like Levy has just overruled both of them and appointed his man.

How do you draw that conclusion when we have no idea who either wanted or even if there was a disagreement in the first place?

The Express today said it was an executive decision by Levy to appoint his old mate.

Oh well, if the Express said it...
you've just won the argument hands down.
I guess he'll be bringing Madeleine McCann with him as well as the truth about who really killed Princess Diana. While starting work on a day that breaks all known weather records.

Did you just list all the best attacking players of a decade in the same sentence?

I'm sure if we do that for the last 10 seasons there's a decent list of players in there too...

im just pointing out that its crazy to write off the 90's as some sort of miserable wilderness...........we witnessed those players i mentioned as well as won the FA cup when it truly was a major competition and also the League Cup. All im saying is that it wasnt all bad, far from it

im just pointing out that its crazy to write off the 90's as some sort of miserable wilderness...........we witnessed those players i mentioned as well as won the FA cup when it truly was a major competition and also the League Cup. All im saying is that it wasnt all bad, far from it

Post fa cup win 90s Spurs will be remembered for a lot of things but as a fan, the one thing that sticks in my mind first and foremost was that we were always about to turn the corner - just a couple of players here and there....sadly the 00s are remembered for exactly the same feeling.... The 10s is the third century of being almost good for one reason or another and therefore that optimism and hope for the next season and the next season and the season after that is diminishing...purely because we've all been here before

Everyone looks for excuses when they under perform.

How many top clubs just leave transfers to the manager and chairman?

Look I'm not saying the structure doesn't work full stop and I get that managers need people to share the workload, but it just seems to me that it causes problems AT SPURS. The DoF should be working on behalf of the manager, he shouldn't be just giving him players the manager doesn't work and be told to work with it.

Is it ********, how many good players are there in Brazil if we have a scout in that region how come we did not pick up more. Not saying he is a bad scout how would I know who he recommends to the fabled Director of Football or Levy.

Who was the ex spurs player out in Spain who told us we should have taken Michu?? im pretty sure I read someone recommended Ledwonsiki (i know i spelt that wrong but you know who i mean)

[TWEET]327151266994200578[/TWEET]

[TWEET]327151526055391232[/TWEET]

If what you're saying is true....then there's no need for a DOF and Baldini can leave with immediate effect. My understanding was that a DOF's job was to identify targets, and depending on his relationship with the manager...he would discuss these targets with the manager (which i feel did happen with AVB)...and then ask the chairman if it's feasible before going out there and negotiating with the players club.

Now you're saying different i hope even more he goes. We can simply do a better job getting a very good Chief scout and having confidence in him to target the right players with the manager.

So you had a problem with the DoF setup the way you thought it worked, but if it works the way you think a chief scout could do the job you have even more of a problem with it?

It's not the name on the title, it's the quality of the man. Who do you think we can simply get as a chief scout that will be better at that than Baldini?

A chief scout is different to a DOF. A DOF oversees the development of the entire club, including youth levels, youth recruitment, academy, future player strategy, deal breaking.

I think for a serious top flight club, the role of DOF is essential these days, to take the pressure off the head coach and leave him for managing the first team day-to-day, with coaching and drilling the players.

Difference between a chief scout and DOF is key too. Baldini isn't just someone that spots and assesses players, infact, that isn't even his role. His role is to mediate between the board and football management side of things, provide advice and support to both and co-ordinate efforts. He is also a deal breaker and does what a scout can't do - find out about player availability.

OK, a chief scout might say X is a great player, but Baldini and his contact book will find out how long his contract is, what his release clause is and what his wage demands are.

A chief scout is different to a DOF. A DOF oversees the development of the entire club, including youth levels, youth recruitment, academy, future player strategy, deal breaking.

I think for a serious top flight club, the role of DOF is essential these days, to take the pressure off the head coach and leave him for managing the first team day-to-day, with coaching and drilling the players.

Difference between a chief scout and DOF is key too. Baldini isn't just someone that spots and assesses players, infact, that isn't even his role. His role is to mediate between the board and football management side of things, provide advice and support to both and co-ordinate efforts. He is also a deal breaker and does what a scout can't do - find out about player availability.

OK, a chief scout might say X is a great player, but Baldini and his contact book will find out how long his contract is, what his release clause is and what his wage demands are.

I think the problem here (and the reason why this argument will ever die) is that no one is this board knows exactly what a DoF does. Even when asked about it Tim Sherwood couldn't really explain it (yes, I know, I know, can barely speak english, macaron blah blah blah blah) and hes worked at the club for years. So how anyone who has absolutely no knowledge of the ins and outs of the club can claim to is beyond me.

It is difficult to deny that at Spurs specifically this has caused problems over the years, pretty much every time a manager is sacked the press jump on the 'his signings weren't his signings' band wagon. The most successful times in our recent history have been without one. I don't know whether we are better with one or without one, but Levy seems to think we are.

I think the problem here (and the reason why this argument will ever die) is that no one is this board knows exactly what a DoF does. Even when asked about it Tim Sherwood couldn't really explain it (yes, I know, I know, can barely speak english, macaron blah blah blah blah) and hes worked at the club for years. So how anyone who has absolutely no knowledge of the ins and outs of the club can claim to is beyond me.

It is difficult to deny that at Spurs specifically this has caused problems over the years, pretty much every time a manager is sacked the press jump on the 'his signings weren't his signings' band wagon. The most successful times in our recent history have been without one. I don't know whether we are better with one or without one, but Levy seems to think we are.

Levy wants one there and ultimately it is his decision to make. We are led to believe he sees the role as a link between the boardroom and the training ground, overseeing and implementing an infrastructure at the club, that should one person be taken out, then everything can carry on in the same way.

Works well abroad, perhaps because of less press scrutiny? Perhaps because it is merely a system they have lived with for a long time, whereas English football finds the notion quite unsettling as they don't know who to blame when things go wrong. Is it the manager's fault? the DoF? The chairman?

Levy wants one there and ultimately it is his decision to make. We are led to believe he sees the role as a link between the boardroom and the training ground, overseeing and implementing an infrastructure at the club, that should one person be taken out, then everything can carry on in the same way.

Works well abroad, perhaps because of less press scrutiny? Perhaps because it is merely a system they have lived with for a long time, whereas English football finds the notion quite unsettling as they don't know who to blame when things go wrong. Is it the manager's fault? the DoF? The chairman?

One problem is this overwhelming need to apportion blame. Most clubs in the PL now have some kind of DoF, but you rarely hear about them. Someone is needed to deal with contracts, negotiations, tapping up and jetting around the world smooching with other DoFs, agents and whatnot. A mental shift is needed, managers are not the be-all and end-all of a club and that are just as easily replaced as players if things aren't working. You want your coach to coach. There's no way he can do that to the best of his ability AND keep up with every emerging player around the world.

Back