• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Our scouting network

A chief scout is different to a DOF. A DOF oversees the development of the entire club, including youth levels, youth recruitment, academy, future player strategy, deal breaking.

I think for a serious top flight club, the role of DOF is essential these days, to take the pressure off the head coach and leave him for managing the first team day-to-day, with coaching and drilling the players.

Difference between a chief scout and DOF is key too. Baldini isn't just someone that spots and assesses players, infact, that isn't even his role. His role is to mediate between the board and football management side of things, provide advice and support to both and co-ordinate efforts. He is also a deal breaker and does what a scout can't do - find out about player availability.

OK, a chief scout might say X is a great player, but Baldini and his contact book will find out how long his contract is, what his release clause is and what his wage demands are.

Surely this is all relative to each club as to what the role entails. It might be that Baldini is just a Chief scout/In charge of football knowledge/networking. But to make the job sound better he is a director of football. How many Job titles in life have executive/director in them but are anything but!

Surely this is all relative to each club as to what the role entails. It might be that Baldini is just a Chief scout/In charge of football knowledge/networking. But to make the job sound better he is a director of football. How many Job titles in life have executive/director in them but are anything but!

But we have both - our chief scout works underneath our DoF. He heads one of the DoF's departments, as does the head of our academy (McDermott), our head of medical services (Diesel) and our head coach (Poch).

its a committee with Levy at the helm i guess.
baldini plays a part but i guess its got to do more with the actual deals themselves, probably with established players and clubs
scouts as the title describe go far and wide to search out the unknowns

but these are just the "supply side" of the value chain

first team coach and youth coach - i wonder who comes up with the way we play, which will have direct inputs into the briefs for the scouts.

also player development and transition from youth to senior sides (i speculate that sherwood could not see AVB eye to eye on this regard - leading to both their dramatic exits)...who makes the call?

there is always going to be a bias for the person who spotted or signed the talent, so much tougher if there are so many people involved. I wonder if the whole set up is too advanced for a champions league chasing side.

Its hard to get all of that working together and 2bf, no club has managed it perfectly, there are still horror stories like Barcelona letting Fabregas go for peanuts then buying him back later for £25m, but I think having a DOF, committee system ensures there are enough safety nets to ensure that overall, nothing should go completely tits up at the club, despite how our fans might feel if we have a dissapointing season.

Levy wants one there and ultimately it is his decision to make. We are led to believe he sees the role as a link between the boardroom and the training ground, overseeing and implementing an infrastructure at the club, that should one person be taken out, then everything can carry on in the same way.

Works well abroad, perhaps because of less press scrutiny? Perhaps because it is merely a system they have lived with for a long time, whereas English football finds the notion quite unsettling as they don't know who to blame when things go wrong. Is it the manager's fault? the DoF? The chairman?

Does it actually work well abroad though, or is it just the standard model that clubs abroad adopt for various reasons? In the same way that the standard model in England over the years was one man in charge.

also player development and transition from youth to senior sides (i speculate that sherwood could not see AVB eye to eye on this regard - leading to both their dramatic exits)...who makes the call?

I've seen it written tha AVB never attended a single U21 game, if true that means that either he had no intension of there being any progression or that he trusted Tim and his input.

I've seen it written tha AVB never attended a single U21 game, if true that means that either he had no intension of there being any progression or that he trusted Tim and his input.

Well considering Tim knew nothing about the players in the first team (other than the ones exiled to the U21), it seems there was definitely an issue of some kind going on re creating continuity.

Does it actually work well abroad though, or is it just the standard model that clubs abroad adopt for various reasons? In the same way that the standard model in England over the years was one man in charge.

I'm not that wise on its relative success across Europe, but my understanding is that the model with a DoF has been in place across Europe for some time, and only in the last decade been used in England. Adjusting to a continental style has often been a problem in English football.

Its hard to get all of that working together and 2bf, no club has managed it perfectly, there are still horror stories like Barcelona letting Fabregas go for peanuts then buying him back later for £25m, but I think having a DOF, committee system ensures there are enough safety nets to ensure that overall, nothing should go completely tits up at the club, despite how our fans might feel if we have a dissapointing season.
Barcelona didn't let him go. Under Spanish law players can't sign professional contracts until they are 18.

haha not saying that its easy to spot winners, but for sherwood to have missed BOTH suarez and sterling just a few years ago just doesn't do him any favours.

We were certainly in for him when he left QPR and again when he was struggling to settle in Liverpool.

How was not getting Suarez down to Sherwood? I thought it was Harry's decision?

We were certainly in for him when he left QPR and again when he was struggling to settle in Liverpool.
How was not getting Suarez down to Sherwood? I thought it was Harry's decision?

Ruud Gullit has revealed that Tim Sherwood turned down the chance to sign Luis Suarez when the striker was at Ajax.
Sherwood’s Tottenham will come up against Suarez, now one of the most feared forwards in world football, when they play title challengers Liverpool on Sunday.
But, according to Gullit, Sherwood went on a scouting mission to see the Uruguayan in Holland before he moved to Merseyside and spurned the opportunity to buy him.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ng-Luis-Suarez-Spurs-reveals-Ruud-Gullit.html

Daniel Levy will tear up Tottenham scouting plans after squandering £86m from sale of Gareth Bale

Daniel Levy deeply unhappy with the performance of the team this season
Tottenham chairman still backing head coach Mauricio Pochettino
Spurs squandered vast sums on Paulinho, Nacer Chadli, Roberto Soldado, Etienne Capoue, Vlad Chiriches, Erik Lamela and Christian Eriksen

Daniel Levy will begin a major restructuring of Tottenham’s scouting and recruitment procedures after their poor start to the Barclays Premier League season.

The Spurs chairman is planning the overhaul to help manager Mauricio Pochettino’s short-and long-term transfer activity.

Although Levy is deeply unhappy with the performance of the team under their new head coach, the Argentine has the chairman’s full support.

Instead Levy is planning a shake-up to ensure the proper procedures are in place to scout and recruit talent after spending the £86million from Gareth Bale’s sale last summer.

The club’s head of analysis Jonathan Beaker has already left the club and has moved to Australia, but Levy has plans to restructure his scouting policy in the coming weeks.

Spurs are still recovering from that chaotic spending spree last summer and Levy wants to make sure there is a system of accountability in place after last season’s blame game.

Tottenham are widely recognised as the most political club in the Premier League and the fingers were being pointed after last season’s depressing results.

Their director of football administration, Darren Eales, who was hugely supportive of staff at their new training ground, is serving his notice period. His departure for MLS side Atlanta, announced last month, is unrelated to his work at Spurs. He is leaving for personal reasons and is expected to complete the move to the United States in the next couple of weeks.

Levy wants to bring people in to assist Pochettino before the transfer window opens in January. Sporting director Franco Baldini is expected to play a key role in future plans, but Levy is driving the project.

He was disappointed by the club’s failure to push on last season under Andre Villas-Boas after he sold Bale to Real Madrid for a world record fee.

Instead they squandered vast sums on Paulinho, Nacer Chadli, Roberto Soldado, Etienne Capoue, Vlad Chiriches, Erik Lamela and Christian Eriksen.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...tml?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Daniel Levy will tear up Tottenham scouting plans after squandering £86m from sale of Gareth Bale

Daniel Levy deeply unhappy with the performance of the team this season
Tottenham chairman still backing head coach Mauricio Pochettino
Spurs squandered vast sums on Paulinho, Nacer Chadli, Roberto Soldado, Etienne Capoue, Vlad Chiriches, Erik Lamela and Christian Eriksen

Daniel Levy will begin a major restructuring of Tottenham’s scouting and recruitment procedures after their poor start to the Barclays Premier League season.

The Spurs chairman is planning the overhaul to help manager Mauricio Pochettino’s short-and long-term transfer activity.

Although Levy is deeply unhappy with the performance of the team under their new head coach, the Argentine has the chairman’s full support.

Instead Levy is planning a shake-up to ensure the proper procedures are in place to scout and recruit talent after spending the £86million from Gareth Bale’s sale last summer.

The club’s head of analysis Jonathan Beaker has already left the club and has moved to Australia, but Levy has plans to restructure his scouting policy in the coming weeks.

Spurs are still recovering from that chaotic spending spree last summer and Levy wants to make sure there is a system of accountability in place after last season’s blame game.

Tottenham are widely recognised as the most political club in the Premier League and the fingers were being pointed after last season’s depressing results.

Their director of football administration, Darren Eales, who was hugely supportive of staff at their new training ground, is serving his notice period. His departure for MLS side Atlanta, announced last month, is unrelated to his work at Spurs. He is leaving for personal reasons and is expected to complete the move to the United States in the next couple of weeks.

Levy wants to bring people in to assist Pochettino before the transfer window opens in January. Sporting director Franco Baldini is expected to play a key role in future plans, but Levy is driving the project.

He was disappointed by the club’s failure to push on last season under Andre Villas-Boas after he sold Bale to Real Madrid for a world record fee.

Instead they squandered vast sums on Paulinho, Nacer Chadli, Roberto Soldado, Etienne Capoue, Vlad Chiriches, Erik Lamela and Christian Eriksen.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...tml?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Hmm, not really many quotes and little detail as to how the scouting network is being "torn up" other than the head of analysis and the director of football administration leaving. If, say, Baldini was leaving I could understand the headline.

But then I see it's written by Neil Ashton..:lol:

Hmm, not really many quotes and little detail as to how the scouting network is being "torn up" other than the head of analysis and the director of football administration leaving. If, say, Baldini was leaving I could understand the headline.

But then I see it's written by Neil Ashton..:lol:
I'd be surprised if Ashton could even spell DOF.

Bloody hell, tear it up!?

Just start giving the manager the final say in transfers and actually go and make them happen. Use our promising youth section to bolster the squad and then stop buying 6/10 pointless signgings that eat at our wage bill and transfer kitty. If we miss out on a target, stop getting the budget option instead - that is what is killing us right now - fans would rather someone like velkovic plays than chiriches.

levy was disappointed with the performance after selling out best player and not replacing him properly, ah diddums, buy a mirror Daniel

Back