• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Operation Shoetree

scaramanga

Paul Miller
Staff member
Shoe-Tree-Comparison-Large.jpg

Does anyone use them?

I've been told by the wife that replacing expensive shoes every couple of years is not the way forward (apparently I should be spending my money on decorating a garden I never use instead!). Do they really help your shoes last longer? If so, what's the difference between eBay £20 ones and the £120 ones I've seen?

Thanks.

Yes they do, I have them and use them on dress shoes and they still look the dogs gonad*s. As for the prices I do not think there is much difference to be honest.

What are they supposed to do exactly?
According to the nerds they keep the toes from pointing up over time, which in turn stops them creasing as much.

They also apparently soak up the moisture from inside which helps them smell fresh and keeps the leather better.

Report back with the answers please, I need to get some of those soon.
So it looks like they work pretty well.

In this summer heat they've smelt/felt fresher than they normally would. I try not to wear the same shoes two days in a row for that reason but it's not too bad with them opened up overnight.

The toes aren't curling and there's no creasing yet, but then if that's a real worry just buy these:
http://www.modalia.co.uk/moreschi-39421-30334.html

I'd recommend them and I've only bought the cheap ones.

A wise man once told me, "Some you win, some you lose, time to buy some new shoes". I'm not sure where a shoetree fits into this philosophy.

Allen Edmunds are great and have really good customer service. I buy their own brand shoes for work when they have a sale on (most of the time). They are ridiculously good value for British made, hand stitched, leather soled shoes.

Shoe trees are definitely worth getting. I have several pairs of cheap cedar wood ones that I bought on eBay and they have all been ok.

So it looks like they work pretty well.

In this summer heat they've smelt/felt fresher than they normally would. I try not to wear the same shoes two days in a row for that reason but it's not too bad with them opened up overnight.

The toes aren't curling and there's no creasing yet, but then if that's a real worry just buy these:
http://www.modalia.co.uk/moreschi-39421-30334.html

I'd recommend them and I've only bought the cheap ones.

Thanks, I shall investigate though started a new job where it's dress down permanently so not really been smartening up much.

For good shoes at a reasonable price I'd recommend Loake.

other option is go for expensive shoes that can be recrafted for about a quarter/third of cost

see Allen Edmunds as example -> http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/RecraftingView?storeId=1&langId=-1&catalogId=40000000001

To stay on topic, shoe trees help me with the creases/shape of shoe, logically could see some benefit, but never really tried to measure it as a longevity tool

Allen Edmunds are great and have really good customer service. I buy their own brand shoes for work when they have a sale on (most of the time). They are ridiculously good value for British made, hand stitched, leather soled shoes.

Shoe trees are definitely worth getting. I have several pairs of cheap cedar wood ones that I bought on eBay and they have all been ok.
I can't say I've ever thought too much about it but I've always assumed Italian was the way forward for shoes.

Am I better off going with a gents tailor type?

I can't say I've ever thought too much about it but I've always assumed Italian was the way forward for shoes.

Am I better off going with a gents tailor type?

I have never owned a pair of quality Italian shoes, so I can't really make a comparison.

Handmade English shoes are considered to be amongst the best in the world and are easy to pick up at decent prices if you are prepared to shop around.

The only thing to watch out for is to check that the shoes are made in the UK. A lot of brands like Loakes and Grenson have cheaper lines that are made in India and the materials and quality are not anywhere near as good.

I have never owned a pair of quality Italian shoes, so I can't really make a comparison.

Handmade English shoes are considered to be amongst the best in the world and are easy to pick up at decent prices if you are prepared to shop around.

The only thing to watch out for is to check that the shoes are made in the UK. A lot of brands like Loakes and Grenson have cheaper lines that are made in India and the materials and quality are not anywhere near as good.
Thanks for that, I'll take a look next time I need a pair (probably within a year or so at this rate).

Thanks for that, I'll take a look next time I need a pair (probably within a year or so at this rate).

I was getting myself confused earlier in the thread it is Herring shoes and not Allen Edmund's that I would recommend. Although, I have heard good things about them too.

Herring Shoes are the best company that I have found in the UK. It is well worth keeping an eye out for their sales. Their own brand line is excellent quality and they make shoes for many bigger names without being credited

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk

I was getting myself confused earlier in the thread it is Herring shoes and not Allen Edmund's that I would recommend. Although, I have heard good things about them too.

Herring Shoes are the best company that I have found in the UK. It is well worth keeping an eye out for their sales. Their own brand line is excellent quality and they make shoes for many bigger names without being credited

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk

Allen Edmunds is US based .. good shoes, a lot of their line is a bit old school style wise, but occasional styles that are very good.

Like anything US based, wait on the sales

Allen Edmunds is US based .. good shoes, a lot of their line is a bit old school style wise, but occasional styles that are very good.

Like anything US based, wait on the sales

Yeah. I was getting mixed up. I have read good reviews of Allen Edmund's shoes but not bought any.

I rate the quality of the high end American shoes that I have owned.

Anyway, back to Blighty, I cannot recommend Herring shoes highly enough. Brilliant customer service and good value.

Back