1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

One for the Darwin Awards

Discussion in 'Randomination' started by Jordinho, 7 Apr 2016.

  1. Jordinho

    Jordinho Paul Miller Staff Member

    Joined:
    14 Jan 2012
    Messages:
    35,829
    Likes Received:
    4,006
    Location:
    Next season
    A pop singer collapsed and died in the middle of her performance, 45 minutes after she was bitten by a cobra.

    Irma Bule, 29, was dancing on stage in West Java, Indonesia, when she accidentally stepped on one of the snakes she used in her act.

    She believed the King Cobra snake had been de-fanged but somehow it injected its venom into her when it bit her on the thigh.

    Although Irma was reportedly offered antidote, she is said to have refused it and carried on performing after a snake handler pulled the animal away.

    However, the poison in her bloodstream made her start vomiting and and have seizures as she gave the concert in the village of Karawang.

    The distressing video shows the moment staff try to save Irma from the snake, named Rianti.

    Irma was taken to hospital where she was pronounced dead.

    http://metro.co.uk/2016/04/07/singe...5800753/#_ga=1.195858984.521942374.1426017695
     
  2. Jordinho

    Jordinho Paul Miller Staff Member

    Joined:
    14 Jan 2012
    Messages:
    35,829
    Likes Received:
    4,006
    Location:
    Next season
    Man dies charging iPhone while in the bath

    man was electrocuted as he charged his mobile phone while in the bath, an inquest has heard.

    Richard Bull, 32, died when his iPhone charger made contact with the water at his home in Ealing, west London.

    A coroner ruled his death was accidental and plans to send a report to Apple about taking action to prevent future deaths.

    Safety campaigners have warned about the dangers of charging mobiles near water following the inquest.

    Mr Bull is believed to have plugged his charger into an extension cord from the hallway and rested it on his chest while using the phone, the Sun reports.

    He suffered severe burns on his chest, arm and hand when the charger touched the water and died on 11 December, the newspaper said.

    Assistant coroner Dr Sean Cummings, who conducted the inquest at West London Coroner's Court on Wednesday, is to write a prevention of future death report to send to Apple.

    Charity Electrical Safety First said the death highlighted some of the dangers of having electrical appliances around water.

    Product safety manager Steve Curtler said people "will not get electrocuted" from a mobile appliance such as a laptop or mobile phone if it is not being charged.

    Such devices typically have a low voltage of 5V to 20V so "you probably wouldn't feel it" if they came into contact with water, he added.

    However, connecting a mobile phone to a charger plugged into the mains electricity supply increases the risk of harm.

    "Although the cable that is plugged in to your phone is 5V, somewhere along the line it's plugged into the electricity supply and you're reliant on that cable and a transformer to make sure you don't get into contact with the main voltage," said Mr Curtler.

    He said cheap, non-branded chargers may not offer such protection, but even with genuine chargers you are still taking an unnecessary risk.

    "You're wet which conducts electricity a lot better, you're in the bath with no clothes on so skin resistance is less. You're vulnerable in the bathroom."

    'Risking death'
    The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (ROSPA) warns against using any electrical appliance in the bathroom.

    Public health adviser Sheila Merrill said: "People need to be aware of taking an electrical appliance into the bathroom.

    "The advice has always been given with regard to hairdryers and radios - not to use in the bathroom.

    "If you got any appliance attached to the mains electricity circuit you have to be aware there is a danger there.

    "You're risking death. Electricity and water don't mix, but with particularly with phones, people don't probably always think about it.

    "It's not advisable to use them while they're plugged in, particularly in a bathroom situation."

    She said ROSPA did not see this type of accident on a "regular basis" and most mobile phone manufacturers cover the electric shock risk in their safety handling support advice.

    However, with a lot of mobile phones the advice does not come with the instructions you receive in your hand, she added.

    Apple did not respond to requests for a comment.

    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-39307418
     

Share This Page