• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Tottenham Hotspur vs Wolves

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Some thoughts on yesterday's game:

We were certainly better than against Chelsea and probably deserved a draw, but …...

The defence was truly awful again and just do not understand the decision to start Dier. Jose justified it by saying that as he plays midfield he can move out with the ball from the back which I don't remember him doing yesterday anyway. Without doubt Sanchez plays better with the experience of Toby beside him and we miss the accurate long balls to the front men when Toby is missing.

Davies is not and never will be a wing back. If Davies had to play then surely swapping him with Tanganga would have been better.

The substitutions were strange and late. Why remove Aurier when he is having a rare good game? Why leave it until 77 minutes to make the first sub when we clearly needed fresh legs? Why was Parrott only given 3 minutes of stoppage time which was not enough time to even touch the ball? Mourinho's treatment of Parrott is very odd. Not sure whether he rates him or not and just seems to be using him as a political pawn
Well Dier was the CB in the right place for the 1st and second goals when Sanchez and Tanganga respectively went on wanders to take their men and missed them.

The parrot thing is clear... he sees him as an 18 year old prospect who needs time. He was only on the next because Lamela is broken again

I agree Davies is no WB and he got caught out so many times not knowing what to do

At the time I was for Kane starting the game and hindsight is a wonderful thing but looking back I think it was the wrong decision. I don’t blame Poch as either way it was a lose lose situation. Alli is the one I would have dropped. Take your point about Moura being a streaky player. But he was on one of those hot streaks at the time and he had proven he can get you a goal in a big game, we don’t exactly have many of those. Moura and Lamela for me are similar in the sense they both work very hard and both can tear it up for 3-4 games.

I don't really want to rake it up for discussion again, it's history now, but for me the only thing that would've made a difference to the result that day was Sissoko not hanging his arm out in the air for Mané to take a pot-shot at. Neither side showed any quality, and I think the game was always done and dusted from that moment on, Kane or no Kane; Moura or no Moura.

Well Dier was the CB in the right place for the 1st and second goals when Sanchez and Tanganga respectively went on wanders to take their men and missed them.

The parrot thing is clear... he sees him as an 18 year old prospect who needs time. He was only on the next because Lamela is broken again

I agree Davies is no WB and he got caught out so many times not knowing what to do

I think mourinho said he b,rought Parrott on principally to give Dele more space.

Parrott needs a loan to a decent championship club next season and then we can continue his development accordingly thereafter.

If any youth forward should be thrown in at the moment to abate these desperate times it is Etete. At 6’6 he is already a physical beast and could be used to hold the ball up and feed the onrushing Bergwijn and Lucas.

Also if Sessegnon and Lamela are also sidelined for any length of time I think we have little choice but to recall Clarke or put youth winger Bennett on the bench.

I think mourinho said he b,rought Parrott on principally to give Dele more space.

Parrott needs a loan to a decent championship club next season and then we can continue his development accordingly thereafter.

If any youth forward should be thrown in at the moment to abate these desperate times it is Etete. At 6’6 he is already a physical hunk of burning love and could be used to hold the ball up and feed the onrushing Bergwijn and Lucas.

Also if Sessegnon and Lamela are also sidelined for any length of time I think we have little choice but to recall Clarke or put youth winger Bennett on the bench.

Etete has only just moved up to the U23s from U18s. I’d be surprised if he was deemed any more ‘ready’ than Parrott.

Funny game really as we did not play that poorly ( it was once again mistakes that cost us),some players seem to have hit a brick wall for form this season and its not changed.

I think its a lack of consistency. First Poch trying to find the best team, and panicking, he kept changing things. New players. A new home. Then a new manager needing to rotate tired players. We need a stable backline and midfield - that might be the answer. Play them for 5 games, correct things and build.

But you're right. Performance wise, we were actually quite good. Yet you can't really say that when we shipped 3 goals that could have been defended! All you need to do is look at Wolves defending - everyone alert, compact behind the ball, focused positioning themselves and constantly adjusting as a unit. Compare that to our defensive positioning for their 2nd. We were slow to get back, slow to get behind the ball, not focused, not anticipating.

Letting in 2-3 goals a game is killing us. Must be driving Mourinho nuts.

I think its a lack of consistency. First Poch trying to find the best team, and panicking, he kept changing things. New players. A new home. Then a new manager needing to rotate tired players. We need a stable backline and midfield - that might be the answer. Play them for 5 games, correct things and build.

But you're right. Performance wise, we were actually quite good. Yet you can't really say that when we shipped 3 goals that could have been defended! All you need to do is look at Wolves defending - everyone alert, compact behind the ball, focused positioning themselves and constantly adjusting as a unit. Compare that to our defensive positioning for their 2nd. We were slow to get back, slow to get behind the ball, not focused, not anticipating.

Letting in 2-3 goals a game is killing us. Must be driving Mourinho nuts.
Look at the goals they conceded
Their quite similar though to what we did

Look at the goals they conceded
Their quite similar though to what we did

True. They are quite attacking and open at times. But when defending - when they got the lead - they are compact and better than us. We seem to work harder to score than the opposition do. We don't have a compact shape or attentive midfield and defense. It is hard to put your finger on what it is that is causing us to ship goals, but until we get ontop of it, we're going to make life hard for ourselves.

Is part of the issue a team identity thing? What are we now? An expansive side who dominate possession and strangle teams (as we were under Poch) or a counter-attacking side? We're neither at the moment. Transitioning from one to the other? At least we were far better in possession yesterday. I was actually quite encouraged.

What does Mourinho do now? Stick with the same defense and let them settle or bring Toby back?

True. They are quite attacking and open at times. But when defending - when they got the lead - they are compact and better than us. We seem to work harder to score than the opposition do. We don't have a compact shape or attentive midfield and defense. It is hard to put your finger on what it is that is causing us to ship goals, but until we get ontop of it, we're going to make life hard for ourselves.

Is part of the issue a team identity thing? What are we now? An expansive side who dominate possession and strangle teams (as we were under Poch) or a counter-attacking side? We're neither at the moment. Transitioning from one to the other? At least we were far better in possession yesterday. I was actually quite encouraged.

What does Mourinho do now? Stick with the same defense and let them settle or bring Toby back?
Their system is tried and tested
So is Sheffield United
So is pools
Arguably so is city’s
Hell Leicester spent the whole summer on there’s after changing manager mid way through last season

a well drilled hard working side with some talent will IMO always beat a team that’s got better players but no stricture. We have changed systems repeatedly of late and we did again yesterday at least in personnel. We looked much more creative and everyone seemed to know their roles but some didn’t execute them well enough

And I’ve looked at stats and looked at goals conceded videos (yeah I work from home and some calls are boring) and we always always always concede by play going wide and the opposition killing our full backs. It’s so rare for a team to go through the middle of us despite what people keep on saying. I’d argue that’s because there inst a huge amount of quality midfielders out there who can play that pass but it’s also because teams target weak spots and for us it’s the full backs for me

oh and Toby will be playing Wednesday. I believe he has spent some of last week back in Belgium with his new born but Jose didn’t want to make a meal out of that in the press conference as it’s normal

Their system is tried and tested
So is Sheffield United
So is pools
Arguably so is city’s
Hell Leicester spent the whole summer on there’s after changing manager mid way through last season

a well drilled hard working side with some talent will IMO always beat a team that’s got better players but no stricture. We have changed systems repeatedly of late and we did again yesterday at least in personnel. We looked much more creative and everyone seemed to know their roles but some didn’t execute them well enough

Chopping and changing trying to find the answer. Story of our season.

To be fair to Mourinho playing the side over busy Christmas period and with injuries it's not been easy to play a steady side. But for me, that is the answer. Mourinho should know enough now. He has to pick his team and try to stick with it so we can get some structure in the side and start to defend better.

Chopping and changing trying to find the answer. Story of our season.

To be fair to Mourinho playing the side over busy Christmas period and with injuries it's not been easy to play a steady side. But for me, that is the answer. Mourinho should know enough now. He has to pick his team and try to stick with it so we can get some structure in the side and start to defend better.
I think he has his plan and then a players get injured so he has to plan again
He has Hugo all ok all week... bloke gets injured day before the game
Sessegnon would be great in a 3-5-2 - bloke gets injured leaving the bus
Lamela has an impact as a sub - can’t train

I mean it’s only so much on him IMO

like i said earlier, look at how Brendon changes things at Leicester and improved them once he had time ( now they look no more than decent)

This is another poor result for us. We started the match well but failed to kill the game off and was duly punished. The failure of our defence to keep clean sheets came back to affect us. Mourinho did a big blunder by resting Alderweireld and Vertonghen. Not sure how he relied on error-prone Sanchez, Dier and Tanganga to guard our defence. Credit to Berwijn and Aurier for the goals but we really should have score more than that. We badly missed the work rate and creativity if Lamela. So, Wolves have become a jinx team to us as we have now failed to beat them in our last 4 matches at home, losing 2 and drawing 2. We have now lost 3 matches in a row in all competitions. We badly need to get back to winning ways if we want to achieve anything this season.

Back