• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Tottenham Hotspur vs Wolves

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hate watching us at the moment. No structure, no real pattern, shambolic defensively and far too easy to bully and crowd out in the final third. We did manage some pretty stuff at times in approach play (Lo Celso probably our best performer over the 90) but most of our effort went into counters that were too slow and you could only see petering out. I thought 2-2 would probably have been fair, but I was entirely unsurprised when their third went in.

We did spend regularly until the last two windows. We bought in 27 players under Poch. Mostly disasters. He kept saying it wasn’t worth bringing in players if they didn’t improve the TEAM. He didn’t build an effective SQUAD. Played his favourites far too much and “broke” many of our key players - Dembele, Wanyama, Dier, Rose, Verts, Eriksen, Trippier, and Dele. Even Kane has fallen from his loftiest heights. His big money buys were not up to it - Sanchez, Sissoko, Lucas, Aurier, NDombele - with the jury out on GLC and Sess.

'No money to spend' is me referring to net spend, as in : no money to spend without having to sell first, sorry if that wasn't obvious. Our net spend over Pochs time was essentially zero +/- prior to last summer and certainly one of the lowest in the league which was certainly a contributing factor to our transfer success rate over that period. There's a reson why the top teams have big net spends regularly over time and that's because it costs big money to improve good/top teams - you can't expect to stay at the top without spending money.

27 players over 6 seasons is less than 5 a year btw, ie not a lot, you keep repeating this number as though you think it's particularly large when in fact it is average at most for the league if not below average.

I'd dispute that 'most' of that 27 were disasters but I've written a pretty comprehensive response to you before on the subject which you failed to aknowledge so I'll save my virtual breathe this time around, but in short I'd say of the players we signed there's only really a handful that can be considered flops (nkoudou stambouli fazio ngie jansen) which equates to an average transfer-to-flop ratio, which when you consider that we were shopping in the bargain basement for so long isn't so bad.

Last edited:
'No money to spend' is me referring to net spend, as in : no money to spend without having to sell first, sorry if that wasn't obvious. Our net spend over Pochs time was essentially zero +/- prior to last summer and certainly one of the lowest in the league which was certainly a contributing factor to our transfer success rate over that period. There's a reson why the top teams have big net spends regularly over time and that's because it costs big money to improve good/top teams - you can't expect to stay at the top without spending money.

27 players over 6 seasons is less than 5 a year btw, ie not a lot, you keep repeating this number slas though you think it's particularly large when in fact it is average at most for the league if not below average.

I'd dispute that most of that 27 were disasters but I've written a pretty comprehensive response to you before on the subject which you failed to aknowledge so I'll save my virtual breathe this time around.

5 signings a year on average seems more than adequate to me. Too many weren’t good enough to add anything to the squad, though, as you say - and all that time without any signings at all has killed us in the medium term.

27 players over 6 seasons is less than 5 a year btw, ie not a lot, you keep repeating this number slas though you think it's particularly large when in fact it is average at most for the league if not below average.

I'd dispute that most of that 27 were disasters but I've written a pretty comprehensive response to you before on the subject which you failed to aknowledge so I'll save my virtual breathe this time around.
I know you and I disagree on this but even though our overall net spend was (+/-) zero, would you call our recruitment policy a success under Poch? And how much did we spend gross?

I know you and I disagree on this but even though our overall net spend was (+/-) zero, would you call our recruitment policy a success under Poch? And how much did we spend gross?

Up until we left WHL our transfer record was decent/good - we strengthened the first team in several positions and added to the squad. When we left WHL understandably the belts were further tightened and our transfer success rate suffered - none of the players signed since then have been good enough to be seen as improvements on the first team and ultimately is why we over relied on a core group of players for too long.

We did spend regularly until the last two windows. We bought in 27 players under Poch. Mostly disasters. He kept saying it wasn’t worth bringing in players if they didn’t improve the TEAM. He didn’t build an effective SQUAD. Played his favourites far too much and “broke” many of our key players - Dembele, Wanyama, Dier, Rose, Verts, Eriksen, Trippier, and Dele. Even Kane has fallen from his loftiest heights. His big money buys were not up to it - Sanchez, Sissoko, Lucas, Aurier, NDombele - with the jury out on GLC and Sess.
hmm this old chestnut again. I thought until the summer, we had a very small net spend? Which meant the players we brought in around the likes of Sanchez, Sissoko Alderweireld etc were always going to be gambles. As for playing favourites, you could say he played his best players. When you have a limited squad that’s what all managers will do. Achieved a lot of success doing that mind.

27 players over 6 seasons is less than 5 a year btw, ie not a lot, you keep repeating this number as though you think it's particularly large when in fact it is average at most for the league if not below average.

I'd dispute that 'most' of that 27 were disasters but I've written a pretty comprehensive response to you before on the subject which you failed to aknowledge so I'll save my virtual breathe this time around, but in short I'd say of the players we signed there's only really a handful that can be considered flops (nkoudou stambouli fazio ngie jansen) which equates to an average transfer-to-flop ratio, which when you consider that we were shopping in the bargain basement for so long isn't so bad.
Hadn’t seen your post before I posted mine Bill. You put it much better than me though. It is worth saying that out of the ones who were a failure I believe some were not his first choice player, Stambouli was a last minute sub for schneiderlin, and in the Janssen window, I believe we were looking at Martial.

hmm this old chestnut again. I thought until the summer, we had a very small net spend? Which meant the players we bought in around the likes of Sanchez, Sissoko Alderweireld etc were always going to be gambles. As for playing favourites, you could say he played his best players. When you have a limited squad that’s what all managers will do. Achieved a lot of success doing that mind.

Arguing that the majority of transfers were flops would seem to be at odds with bemoaning him for playing the same group of players all the time...

Hadn’t seen your post before I posted mine Bill. You put it much better than me though. It is worth saying that out of the ones who were a failure I believe some were not his first choice player, Stambouli was a last minute sub for schneiderlin, and in the Janssen window, I believe we were looking at Martial.

Yeah and although i agree i try to avoid guessing who was and who wasn't his choices so as to avoid being labelled a cherry picker, though i have a very clear idea of what a list of his first choice targets would look like and believe it would marry up quite well with which ones were a success here

Not too dissimilar to what Pochettino did with likes of Kaboul, Adebayor, Lennon and Capoue before freezing them out for good.
I recall him dropping them rather sharpish instead of - if true - playing them to show they weren’t up to the job. Jose has previous of this though. And there is little doubt Mou is on narcissistic spectrum (special one, anybody?), so it’s always ultimately about him.

I recall him dropping them rather sharpish instead of - if true - playing them to show they weren’t up to the job. Jose has previous of this though. And there is little doubt Mou is on narcissistic spectrum (special one, anybody?), so it’s always ultimately about him.
He gave them vice captaincy roles
They did some weird stuff behind the scenes and Kane and mason went head to head with ade and kaboom in training and had a ruck (backing up Poch)
That’s when they got binned off

Pochettino allowed the players to elect Kaboul as captain (with Adebayor their choice of vice-captain) and he played every minute until the dust-up with Kane after the loss to Stoke City, after which Pochettino decided to side with our Harry and the rest is history...

D00B4EB9-D8F5-43C3-B9C1-C34F305D30C1.jpeg

Hopefully this is the end of the arguments that he should have started in Madrid

He’s been largely crap this season but he should have started in the final over a rusty Kane who was NEVER going to let 90 mins + extra time especially against defenders of Van Dijk’s calibre. Not to mention Alli who was crap for 18 months previous to the final.

He’s been largely crap this season but he should have started in the final over a rusty Kane who was NEVER going to let 90 mins + extra time especially against defenders of Van Dijk’s calibre. Not to mention Alli who was crap for 18 months previous to the final.
Of course it is all about opinions , but I don't think a single manager makes a different choice to the one made by Poch. Your captain, talisman and top scorer time and time again, world cup golden boot winner etc etc always plays if even close to fitness. That's before you even factor that Moura is a streaky player who struggles to nail down a starting place.

Of course it is all about opinions , but I don't think a single manager makes a different choice to the one made by Poch. Your captain, talisman and top scorer time and time again, world cup golden boot winner etc etc always plays if even close to fitness. That's before you even factor that Moura is a streaky player who struggles to nail down a starting place.

At the time I was for Kane starting the game and hindsight is a wonderful thing but looking back I think it was the wrong decision. I don’t blame Poch as either way it was a lose lose situation. Alli is the one I would have dropped. Take your point about Moura being a streaky player. But he was on one of those hot streaks at the time and he had proven he can get you a goal in a big game, we don’t exactly have many of those. Moura and Lamela for me are similar in the sense they both work very hard and both can tear it up for 3-4 games.

Some thoughts on yesterday's game:

We were certainly better than against Chelsea and probably deserved a draw, but …...

The defence was truly awful again and just do not understand the decision to start Dier. Jose justified it by saying that as he plays midfield he can move out with the ball from the back which I don't remember him doing yesterday anyway. Without doubt Sanchez plays better with the experience of Toby beside him and we miss the accurate long balls to the front men when Toby is missing.

Davies is not and never will be a wing back. If Davies had to play then surely swapping him with Tanganga would have been better.

The substitutions were strange and late. Why remove Aurier when he is having a rare good game? Why leave it until 77 minutes to make the first sub when we clearly needed fresh legs? Why was Parrott only given 3 minutes of stoppage time which was not enough time to even touch the ball? Mourinho's treatment of Parrott is very odd. Not sure whether he rates him or not and just seems to be using him as a political pawn

Back