• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT. TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR Vs Wolverhampton Wanderers

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dominating isn't the same as finishing, but it does usually follow that you get better chances and more of them.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk
No it shows you get more chances
Doesn’t show you get better ones
Passing the ball between defenders get possession stats up... shooting from anywhere to the keeper gets your shots on target up
Doesn’t mean your the more effective side

No it shows you get more chances
Doesn’t show you get better ones
Passing the ball between defenders get possession stats up... shooting from anywhere to the keeper gets your shots on target up
Doesn’t mean your the more effective side
If someone said a side dominated because they took lots of low percentage pot shots that would be a bit disingenuous, likewise I'm sure you said it yourself before but lots of passes between your defenders does not make you a good possession side.

If I read that one side dominated the other without watching that game I would expect midfield control and the balance of quality chances to generally have fallen to the "dominant side". Of course that can be muddled if one side is purposely playing for the quick counter, but even then if the counter side is the one creating the chances and the making the territorial inroads then I would say that was the dominant side even if they had less of the ball. Having the ball alone isn't what makes a side dominant imo.

If someone said a side dominated because they took lots of low percentage pot shots that would be a bit disingenuous, likewise I'm sure you said it yourself before but lots of passes between your defenders does not make you a good possession side.

If I read that one side dominated the other without watching that game I would expect midfield control and the balance of quality chances to generally have fallen to the "dominant side". Of course that can be muddled if one side is purposely playing for the quick counter, but even then if the counter side is the one creating the chances and the making the territorial inroads then I would say that was the dominant side even if they had less of the ball. Having the ball alone isn't what makes a side dominant imo.

Agreed
It’s what bothered me with the wolves being dominant comments

I'm really not sure what's going on with him, but I'm dismayed he's being misused (or left unused) like this.

I think its nothing personal.

Jose is following the new job 101 hand book.

Arrest the slide, build a foundation to play from, build momentum - then develop the team once its heading in the right direction.

And ever the pragmatist, he has fallen back to the tried and tested, experienced players to ease this process.

If Lo Celso had got more game time under Poch, become more acclimated and productive - I suspect Jose would have been much happier to use him.

As he hasnt, I dont think Jose can yet afford to try and blood a new player while also trying to turn our form around.

We have the FA cup coming up soon (which Im sure Jose will take seriously) and of course a busy schedule, before the CL comes back - there are a lot of games to come. As things settle Im sure Lo Celso (and NDombele, Sessegnon, Skipp...) will get chances.

He said what he was looking for in midfield when explaining why he dropped Sissoko in his first game. It could change of course.

I took that very much as a "for now"/immediate kind of thing - not as a long term design.

If he is one thing, its pragmatic, he will play the way that best suits his players. I dont think he is wed to any one style/shape/formation.

I also think, currently, this is very much a hodge podge sort of team designed to get the best out of what we have in the short term.

I would be very wary of using it as a predictor of long term design/desire

I took that very much as a "for now"/immediate kind of thing - not as a long term design.

If he is one thing, its pragmatic, he will play the way that best suits his players. I dont think he is wed to any one style/shape/formation.

I also think, currently, this is very much a hodge podge sort of team designed to get the best out of what we have in the short term.

I would be very wary of using it as a predictor of long term design/desire
I think the selections so far have been pragmatic. I took what he said as an overall preference, one he will sometimes deviate from.

One DM/positional player and one more creative player is a fairly standard approach too.

As someone pointed out he will probably want fairly well rounded players with qualities outside that of a particular role. If any of our current midfielders will step up to that over time is a different question. I think quite a few have the potential to do that, but they have to deliver and do so fairly consistently.

My point is only that what we have seen so far should not be used as a predictor of what he actually wants. Including those comments.

As Dubai said - his preference is almost two versatile players able to adopt the right position/action in any given scenario, rather than being explicit attacking/defensive players.

People (and I do include myself) find pigeonholing players as CM/DM/AM etc a rather convenient way to think about and describe football and teams.

Problem is that often then devolves into a rather basic, and constrained, conversation about whats what.

The reality is often more complex.

Two things on formations that we haven't discussed is that Dele played a lot deeper out of possession on Sunday. We were a 4-3-3 out of possession, with Dele breaking quickly when in possession.

Vertonghen got forward more too, so we didn't have the wonky defence.

Two things on formations that we haven't discussed is that Dele played a lot deeper out of possession on Sunday. We were a 4-3-3 out of possession, with Dele breaking quickly when in possession.

Yeah Windy said that, I hadn't noticed during the game. Where do people rewatch games nowadays?
These are always blocked https://www.fullmatchesandshows.com/2019/12/15/wolverhampton-vs-tottenham-highlights-full-match/2/

I do wonder do what degree that was a choice or if Wolves forced us into that.

Also thought Aurier got forward less, but the way we were playing there weren't many opportunities.

Ive mentioned it a few times now, but IMO this is down to Mourinho.

While we have a base shape/set up (for now*) we are actively adjusting it game to game depending on our opposition.

And I think if you look through our fixtures under Mourinho its becoming more and more evident/effective.

We consistently force teams to play in areas they dont like, while operating ourselves in areas they dont like. Playing us is an uncomfortable experience for every team we play.

And on balance, even when we arent the dominant side - we seem to be carving out the better chances (again, consistently) and thereby getting results.

*I think the current status quo in the team is temporary. Probably for the remainder of this season. After the summer I think things will be different.

Back