• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

**OMT Tottenham Hotspur vs Arsenal***

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Right, so, I've given it a day to relax and think about the game.

It was a creditable draw, and that's two of our toughest four away games dealt with (the other two are Liverpool and (imo) Leicester). But overall, Arsenal were the better team - hard to argue that. And that was down to one short term reason, which will rectify itself over the course of the season, and some worrying long-term ones.

Short term -

1) We had no press-resistance in midfield. Arsenal were just far superior on the ball - they were able to retain possession, outmuscle us in challenges, and progress the ball past our first line of pressing with ease. By contrast, we panicked all game - the attackers were too far up, the defense left exposed to pressing lines of two or three players converging on the man on the ball, and a lot of panicked turnovers of possession resulted that put us under immense pressure. It's a pattern we saw in the City game as well - we can't handle pressure, *at all*.

However, I think that will fix itself with Ndombele and Lo Celso coming into the team. Both those players replacing less technically-gifted players in the likes of Winks and Lamela will help to no end in terms of beating the press, and I think having a press-resistant midfield will afford the defense more cover, thus lessening the problem overall.

Long term -

1) We have no defensive midfield - this is a painful one, but it's true. Sissoko is strong, fast and hard-working, but his positional awareness isn't great. Winksy's positional awareness is good, but he's too slow from a standing start, and loses too many of his challenges to really be a defensive midfielder. If the two could combine, we would have a perfect defensive midfielder. Alas, they can't, and we have a worrying tendency to leave gaps and yawning spaces in front of the defense that *forces* the CBs out of position to close down shots/cover. Not sure how to fix this - Wanyama and Dier are permanently broken (I'm not sure how Dier suffered such a catastrophic breakdown in his fitness but he has).

2) We have no distribution from deep midfield - the above tendency is compounded by the inability of our deep midfield players to play accurate long balls from deep. Xhaka is a macaron, but he gave Arsenal one thing yesterday that we lacked - long, accurate, raking passes into the channels for their pacy forwards to chase. Our defense can usually do this with Toby + Jan, but teams have wisened up to this and close them down quick when they're on the ball, because they know they have no options. They can't ease the pressure by passing to Hugo (he'll miskick it), or the flanks (will get to that), or Sissoko, or Winks. So their long passes usually go to the opponent, and we turn possession over.

3) Our flanks are a major weakness - everyone saw this coming. *Everyone*. And yet, we made the mistake of going with our full-back roster of Foyth, KWP, Aurier, Rose and Davies. It isn't good enough for a team at our level - I feel fairly confident in saying that four of the top six have better full-backs than we do, with United being the only possible exception. And given how much we rely on wing-backs to create overloads and provide width, it's a terminal weakness. Either get better wing-backs, or shift the system to not rely on them so much (for example, by shifting to a 3-man back-line and letting Son stay wide + Rose/Sessegnon provide permanent width on the left). We didn't do either, and don't seem like doing either.

4) Our players are just mentally all over the place - I don't know why this is, but for some reason, no one feels like they're on the same level this year (and indeed, since January 2019). Kane's strolling around up front, barely pressing - the defense is panicked into making easy mistakes and give-aways, and our vaunted press is *gone*. We fail to press, and when we do try, the opposition easily plays around it. Something's missing - motivation, energy, fitness or togetherness. But it's worrying.

I agree with a lot of that.

Short term I definitely agree on the lack of press resistance. First half was alright, but second half we were pressed into submission for extended periods. I find it strange that you bring up Winks as one to be dropped for Ndombele/Lo Celso. His 92% pass completion at least contributed to us being more press resistant, compared to Sissoko's 76%.

As you mention defensive midfielders, Winks made 6 tackles to Sissoko's 1.

This wasn't the game to judge my second main concern, breaking down organized defenses. We did well on the break in this game, as we often do. Alli back, hopefully the new boys settling in should help us, but we can't be this reliant on having everyone available to perform. Need more movement and creativity.

On full backs I think it's wise to give it another month or two to see how things pan our. It's not like Pochettino to not have a plan, his track record working with young players and full backs makes me at least hopeful, if not optimistic.

Thanks Steve.
That guy is a bit repetitive but he makes some good observations with good graphics to illuminate e.g. Arse played a narrow front 3 to make our back 4 narrow, then used their full backs in wide areas ... which left them wide open to a counter attack.
We had lots of 2v2 and 3v3 moments where we didn't make the right choice, we could easily have had a couple more goals and the narrative would switch completely.

What amused me most was in that video at 40 seconds he says we lined up in a 4-diamond-2 which was 4-2-3-1 in possession and a flat 442 out of possession... no wonder we all get confused!

I agree with a lot of that.

Short term I definitely agree on the lack of press resistance. First half was alright, but second half we were pressed into submission for extended periods. I find it strange that you bring up Winks as one to be dropped for Ndombele/Lo Celso. His 92% pass completion at least contributed to us being more press resistant, compared to Sissoko's 76%.

As you mention defensive midfielders, Winks made 6 tackles to Sissoko's 1.

This wasn't the game to judge my second main concern, breaking down organized defenses. We did well on the break in this game, as we often do. Alli back, hopefully the new boys settling in should help us, but we can't be this reliant on having everyone available to perform. Need more movement and creativity.

On full backs I think it's wise to give it another month or two to see how things pan our. It's not like Pochettino to not have a plan, his track record working with young players and full backs makes me at least hopeful, if not optimistic.

All true

As is our fans writing off players that Poch wants because they don’t rate them

'Harry Kane had a quiet North London Derby. While he did convert his penalty, he also only took two shots from open play. Neither of especially high quality.'

So hitting the woodwork is now considered a lousy shot?

Okay then.
I believe they mean that it was a low eXpected Goal opportunity shooting from such a tight angle, which even the England captain couldn’t quite find the small available target from.

D92D0CD9-6980-490B-9694-189EA828C297.jpeg

This was a disappointing result. Would have accepted the draw before the match but it is unacceptable the way we led 2-0 but failed to win. Remember, we also led 2-0 but ended up losing to Arsenal away last season as well. Apparently, we have lost most points from winning position against Arsenal than any other teams. This only shows our lack of mental strength against our hated rivals. It seems we find it more comfortable to come from behind than defend leads against big teams like how we drew with Emirates Marketing Project.

This was a disappointing result. Would have accepted the draw before the match but it is unacceptable the way we led 2-0 but failed to win. Remember, we also led 2-0 but ended up losing to Arsenal away last season as well. Apparently, we have lost most points from winning position against Arsenal than any other teams. This only shows our lack of mental strength against our hated rivals. It seems we find it more comfortable to come from behind than defend leads against big teams like how we drew with Emirates Marketing Project.

I believe we have also took the most points from losing positions vs them too

Back