• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Tottenham Hotspur v South Coast's Biggest Club

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Struggling to see the other side of not signing anyone for 2-3 windows.

I think it's a fair argument to say if you can't find improvements then *maybe* you're better off waiting until your targets are available rather than making signings for the sake of it - we probably could have signed one or two random cheap punts just to get bodies in but would that have made much difference in the long run? I don't think so and in isolation a window or two where you keep your powder dry doesn't have to be a bad thing (have Liverpool dropped a clanger by not signing anyone this summer???) the problems we have with the squad run deeper than just that small period of no signings and stretches over 3 or 4 years and is as much about out goings and contract renewals as it is about not bringing anyone in.

If anyone arguing those points is considered to be shouting you down then fair enough, but i don't think that's a fair reflection of the discussions had on here on that subject, both at the time and since.

But he won’t be a miracle worker
Some of our players add just gone here and are beyond repair which is why their failing at the basics

If Levy is to back JM, then surely the least we will see in the January window is some outgoings?.... He needs to get that team spirit back and I just don't see it possible having many of these players around..

FWIW if Poch wanted Toby and Rose gone then simply don't select them. He just needed to select Sanchez and Davies. I " believe" he thought he could talk Eriksen round and wouldn't think he could be " disloyal" or lose faith in ""the project". Personally, I think Eriksen wants trophies and it wasn't about the money.

And why did he let Llorente and Trippier go without signing replacements?

Right. Leave two seniors to rot and cause discontent in the dressing room!!! Plus leave yourself two players short. Poch did not let Llorente go, he wanted him resigned. Trippier? Not sure but I believe the player expressed discontent. Eriksen had always said he would only leave us for Barca. We could’ve re-upped him with a Barca release clause and we didn’t. It was a choice.

Disssssssagree!!!!! Had Levy sold Alderweireld and Eriksen, had he taken, say 40 mill for Toby instead of 50-60, had he taken, say, 90 or 100 for Eriksen rather than holding out for what was it, 140? We'd have approx 150-180 million in, Poch might well have then been able to sign QUALITY within the remit you offered and there we are. Jesus, we wouldn't even fudging unload Janssen and Nkoudou without bleeding a few extra quid? As for those who talk about "business" and "books" we will now lose a player in Eriksen for free when we could've sold him abroad for somewhere close to his value (a value he has currently lost). So it didn't really work did it?

The main stubbornness Poch showed was in keeping largely quiet. I wish he'd bitched more. Perhaps we would not have ended up with the sad drift of this season.

Now mourinho has a bitch about Ndomdele and everyone has a moan.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I think we should give Jose at least two transfer windows before we prep him for slaughter. I am really unhappy that we gave Toby a new contract and I am waiting to see what else will be done. We need a midfield. The symptoms we are seeing stem from the lack of a dominating midfield.

I think we should give Jose at least two transfer windows before we prep him for slaughter. I am really unhappy that we gave Toby a new contract and I am waiting to see what else will be done. We need a midfield. The symptoms we are seeing stem from the lack of a dominating midfield.

and a dominating CB partnership. We need a RB, 1-2 CBs and a DM. Cant realistically get all them in Jan, but 1-2 of them in Jan and then a couple more in the summer should be the target. Problem is that that requires a huge slug of cash

and a dominating CB partnership. We need a RB, 1-2 CBs and a DM. Cant realistically get all them in Jan, but 1-2 of them in Jan and then a couple more in the summer should be the target. Problem is that that requires a huge slug of cash
I am not so worried about RB. I agree on CB. I think we need 1 to play alongside Davinson. We need 2 CMs though capable of playing DM.

I am not so worried about RB. I agree on CB. I think we need 1 to play alongside Davinson. We need 2 CMs though capable of playing DM.

Personally I'm not convinced that Sanchez is good enough to be one of our best 2 CBs yet, assuming we cant to stay in the top 4. THe Sanchez from his first year at Spurs was, though last year he was pretty average.

Personally I'm not convinced that Sanchez is good enough to be one of our best 2 CBs yet, assuming we cant to stay in the top 4. THe Sanchez from his first year at Spurs was, though last year he was pretty average.

The fact that Sanchez showed he had it in the first year and is still young shows to me he is worth persevering with. It is different for Wanyama who has had a serious injury and looks shot. Put a dominating CB with Sanchez ( like Toby or Verts were in his first year) and I would hope Sanchez's game would improve.

Right. Leave two seniors to rot and cause discontent in the dressing room!!! Plus leave yourself two players short. Poch did not let Llorente go, he wanted him resigned. Trippier? Not sure but I believe the player expressed discontent. Eriksen had always said he would only leave us for Barca. We could’ve re-upped him with a Barca release clause and we didn’t. It was a choice.

I don't know if you have experience of management in the wider world, but if you have underperforming employeees that you want to leave, then you do not continue to give them key tasks and involve them with your major projects. If Poch REALLY wanted Toby gone for example, he would never have sanctioned his year's extension.

Eriksen wanted to go to Barca or Real Madrid to WIN trophies. He wouldn't sign a new contract ( and took a significant financial hit in not doing so) because he wants to keep his options open and not let the Club have the cards. Immediately that became clear, the Club had no options. He wants to leave, full stop end of story.

I don't believe that if Poch had said to Levy that I need Llorente and want him resigned, Levy would have said no. When Llorente left, at the very least Poch should have insisted on a Plan B replacement . His priorities were all wrong.

You can equally say that Jose knew what he was getting and Levy’s ways have been set for far longer than Jose’s.

Indeed, as i have said before i am sure Levy sat down with Jose and explained just how much he will get for player transfers, all fans who think that Jose will throw his toys out of the pram about money are just pointing fingers at Levy again.

His stubbornness led to him tieing at least one of those hands behind his own back. Don't you think he had discussions with Levy along the lines :

Levy - the Club has £ x available for new players ( plus any amount raised in sales). You can buy 6 players or one - as long as the total doesn't exceed £ x)

That is the prudent way to run a club.

Poch ( and his recruitment team) failed miserably to find the right players at the right price.
I think it is worse than this. With a DoF I think it would work this way. With Levy we instead have a quasi DoF who thinks the job is about screwing every club he negotiates with. The Grealish farce showed this. That is why the first and most important signing that we need is a top DoF that gets on well with Mourinho.

There were several occasions that Poch was apparently offered decent players and reportedly said "they wouldn't improve the squad" . I think Grealish and Shakiri were in that category iirc. Out of 26 players recruited under his auspices, to have only 3 or 4 work out is a shocking hit rate. Look at Leicester for a comparison.And they lost several top quality players in the meantime. Our recruitment under Poch has been shambolic. Instead for buying 20 wasters, I am sure Levy would rather have signed 4-5 decent players. We could have also sold Eriksen and Toby in their prime ( as someone just suggested) and reinvested in quality elsewhere - like Liverpool did with Coutinho. Poch was too stubborn and I think he really believed we had the best squad - or at least one incapable of being improved.
Poch wanted Grealish. Levy wouldn’t pay the £20 million that would’ve got him in the first month of the transfer window as he thought he could screw Villa and get him for £12 million. Levy then offered £35 million for him on transfer deadline day after Villa had been saved via a takeover. That sort of nonsense doesn’t happen with a DoF. If a player is worth £35 million on transfer deadline day then he is surely a bargain at £20 million in the first month of the window irrespective of whether there is a club to be screwed.

Obviously hearsay, but supposedly Rose had the option of Watford but Poch told him he’d still be involved if he stayed. Maybe a different message would have helped make his mind up.
I think that move was possible on transfer deadline day, which would’ve left Poch going into the season with only one senior left back. Another example of us not doing our business (in or out) early enough.

no, I just don’t think we need to go back to when we didn’t buy for what ever reason!
This last summer we bought and have made a mess of all squad purchases !
Sessegnon and Clarke are for the future and the other two look suspect!
We need players now and they are not ready! And 2020!
It’s the scouting and procurement that is cattle imho!
I don’t think any of the players look suspect. Players from overseas often need 6 months to a year to settle. N’Dombele does need a serious dose of ‘man up’ however.

Here its my truth today...I just don't like Mourinho like I did Poch, and find myself therefore unable to cut him the slack he probably deserves given the situation he has walked into.

I just found myself watching today and feeling no connection with him. That isn't on him more than it is on me I suppose, and it is also not a criticism, I'm just sharing an honest feeling. I watched his post-match presser and enjoyed it as a spectacle but not as a supporter. I don't want comments about opposition coaches being "idiots" and his yellow card was madness. And as much as I agree with his frustrations over NDombele, I don't want my manager throwing him under the bus in public. Poch refused to do it to the bitter end, yet it has taken Mourinho what, 8 weeks to start tossing under the wheels? Again, I admit this is as much to do with my Poch appreciation as it is anything Jose is doing/has done.

But it is how I feel. One thing he does not get a pass from me for is continually picking that fudging cretin Aurier. There is no excuse. None. Play Foyth. Play KWP even. Play Dier FFS and simply have him stay at home more. But stop playing that tosspot.
I thought Aurier was our best player against Southampton, I was surprised that he wasn’t in the MoM list. I thought that he Sessegnon and perhaps GLC were probably our only players who were actually putting it all in. Those 3 players you listed are all far worse right backs than Aurier.

Back