• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - *** Tottenham Hotspur v some Scouse team ***

From what I've seen on here it's just laughing at the comments of their fans and the way they portray themselves. I've not seen anyone say that they think we are rivals?

I don't hate them at all but the phrase which you use above I think explains well what irks me about them. They come across as thinking that they deserve success and that its their right to be in top 4, regardless of whether they're any good and whether others are better. Its always someone else's fault with them, and rarely their own shortcomings. Added to that, its irritating that ex-Liverpool players dominate the media and tv pundits and the way they get a ridiculous amount of media coverage as a result despite them not being a top 4 regular team for a long-time.

Although we've outperformed them over the last few years (massively if you take into account wages and spend), lets face it we're in a similar position to them. We're both pretenders until we win the PL. They are also a very hard team to play against. What I love about Poch is his constant drive for development. Not just players individually but also his coaching and team tactics. He might not be the finished article, or the fastest to adopt new ideas, but he does steadily analyse and develop. It will be fascinating to see if he uses the tactics employed against Madrid - that many fans saw we needed to play - against the likes of Pool. Even against lower level teams, a plan B, to change our setup and soak up pressure and break is interesting. Early days, but the team is developing its sophistication again. Able to play in different setups - potentially within the same game.

No doubt this game will be the toughest of our season. We won't get the room we found in Madrid, but we are maturing, and adapting. Bring them on.

We may have kept Ronaldo-Benzema-Isco relatively quiet, but now we're up against the greatest attacking trio in the world, even without Mane.

It's this season or never for us apparently as Rose wants to move back to Leeds, Alli is a Liverpool fan and Levy's love of money will see Kane go to Real Madrid.

Read all about this and more on RAWK.

Irritating thing about Liverpoo is they always seem to raise their game against us.

They've worked out that by getting at us from the off, haranguing and harrying us for every ball and generally not letting us settle they can usually get something more than they have a right to expect out of this fixture.

Playing at Wembley is hardly going to make it any easier for us either so if you offered me a draw right now I might not bite your hand off but I'd certainly take it.

Although we've outperformed them over the last few years (massively if you take into account wages and spend), lets face it we're in a similar position to them. We're both pretenders until we win the PL. They are also a very hard team to play against. What I love about Poch is his constant drive for development. Not just players individually but also his coaching and team tactics. He might not be the finished article, or the fastest to adopt new ideas, but he does steadily analyse and develop. It will be fascinating to see if he uses the tactics employed against Madrid - that many fans saw we needed to play - against the likes of Pool. Even against lower level teams, a plan B, to change our setup and soak up pressure and break is interesting. Early days, but the team is developing its sophistication again. Able to play in different setups - potentially within the same game.

No doubt this game will be the toughest of our season. We won't get the room we found in Madrid, but we are maturing, and adapting. Bring them on.

I think we will get loads of room against their defence but they will press the room in front of our defence so compressing the space

I think we will get loads of room against their defence but they will press the room in front of our defence so compressing the space

Yes, if we can beat their press. But its a gamble. If we can't beat the press, it will create chances for them. Better to drop off a little, let them commit and exploit the space.

Hopefully Poch is working towards the team being able to play both ways and change it up during the match. We've already seen it a bit. We can see out a game now. Without pressing high ourselves.

Yes, if we can beat their press. But its a gamble. If we can't beat the press, it will create chances for them. Better to drop off a little, let them commit and exploit the space.

Hopefully Poch is working towards the team being able to play both ways and change it up during the match. We've already seen it a bit. We can see out a game now. Without pressing high ourselves.

Don’t forget we press too and they have to deal with that

There seem to be increasing rumours that we're going to go back in for Andre Gomes in Jan; he's had limited game time at Barca this year, even despite them missing out on Coutinho.
i don't like this as it feels like its going to be tit for tat

Why though
Their all about pace and counter attacking but do the press well and there defence will crumble
The problem in the last two games is we haven’t done that side well enough at all... didn’t exist at tossfield.

We haven't done that, true. But, in my opinion, that's because we *can't* do that - Liverpool's press is unsettling to almost every side in the league, and we're no exception. Their pressing removes our own ability to press, because we're far more concerned with just trying to retain possession than we are with preparing ourselves to counter-press should we lose the ball.

Madrid's pressing was targeted and effective, and we had to partly rely on lumping balls up to Llorente as a means of avoiding it. No drawback to trying the same thing here for a little while - Liverpool are not Madrid, so we should look to take the game to them earlier than we did to Madrid (say, from the start of the second half instead of past 60 minutes), but otherwise, we can afford to be cautious, imo.

We haven't done that, true. But, in my opinion, that's because we *can't* do that - Liverpool's press is unsettling to almost every side in the league, and we're no exception. Their pressing removes our own ability to press, because we're far more concerned with just trying to retain possession than we are with preparing ourselves to counter-press should we lose the ball.

Madrid's pressing was targeted and effective, and we had to partly rely on lumping balls up to Llorente as a means of avoiding it. No drawback to trying the same thing here for a little while - Liverpool are not Madrid, so we should look to take the game to them earlier than we did to Madrid (say, from the start of the second half instead of past 60 minutes), but otherwise, we can afford to be cautious, imo.

I think we’re really over rating then off the back of some poor performances by us against them. It felt like a Horror show last season at tossfield

Don’t forget they get beat by some poor sides

Would be really massive if we could nick a win, even a draw wouldn't be the worst result

Would put us level 2nd 5 points behind City, 4 points ahead of Chelsea and possibly 7 in front of Arsenal/Liverpool

I think we’re really over rating then off the back of some poor performances by us against them. It felt like a Horror show last season at tossfield

Don’t forget they get beat by some poor sides

Sure, I can partially agree with that - the way we lost against them last season is one reason why I'm wary, and no doubt poor sides have beaten them both last season and this season.

But those poor sides play to contain Liverpool and hit them on the break/at a set-piece. Which is why they win against them - they don't allow Liverpool to play their favorite trick of springing counters by winning the ball high up the field in dangerous positions. By sitting deep and letting Liverpool have the ball, they show them up for what they are - which is a distinctively workmanlike side with the exception of Coutinho, recycling the ball around and *hoping* for the opposition to grab it so they can win it back.

Their entire game is based around the gegenpress, much like our pressing was the dominant feature of our game in 15-16. They're at about that stage in their evolution under Klopp. We, thankfully, are more advanced in our tactical understanding, and can play in different ways while maintaining cohesion and discipline. We should use that against them - play like a poor side until they get frustrated, *then* show them what we can do.

Remember, when teams open up against Liverpool (like Arsenal tried to do) - it doesn't usually end well. No reason for us to fall into that trap straight away.

there is a way of playing they can’t deal with, sadly in the last few games against them we have been too arrogant to utilise it

I want to see pragmatism tomorrow, put the ball on the edge of their box, press them, let them make the mistakes

I thought that they had a good rapport with each other and worked well down the right. Other than the penalty I didn't really see Kroos and Marcelo produce too much to trouble us at the back.

That flick over Marcelo's head was beautiful to watch pity the cross wasn't better at the end, but over all Sissoko is getting better week by week and coming to the sort of form that makes him a regular for France.

Redknapp's first home game, iirc, was a belter.

Super Pav scoring very late at the far post on the teeming rain, then sliding in celebration.

The start of the revival, perhaps even the start to where we find ourselves now.

The game you're referring too was against Bolton, great game. Atmosphere was tremendous.

Sure, I can partially agree with that - the way we lost against them last season is one reason why I'm wary, and no doubt poor sides have beaten them both last season and this season.

But those poor sides play to contain Liverpool and hit them on the break/at a set-piece. Which is why they win against them - they don't allow Liverpool to play their favorite trick of springing counters by winning the ball high up the field in dangerous positions. By sitting deep and letting Liverpool have the ball, they show them up for what they are - which is a distinctively workmanlike side with the exception of Coutinho, recycling the ball around and *hoping* for the opposition to grab it so they can win it back.

Their entire game is based around the gegenpress, much like our pressing was the dominant feature of our game in 15-16. They're at about that stage in their evolution under Klopp. We, thankfully, are more advanced in our tactical understanding, and can play in different ways while maintaining cohesion and discipline. We should use that against them - play like a poor side until they get frustrated, *then* show them what we can do.

Remember, when teams open up against Liverpool (like Arsenal tried to do) - it doesn't usually end well. No reason for us to fall into that trap straight away.
Emirates Marketing Project murdered then and were well on the way to doing so with or without mane. We’re the second best team in the league so far IMO and whilst I would say 100% know your best opposition I think we’re in danger of showing them more respect than they merit.

If they could defend and press I’d agree whole hartedly... hell if they could finish I would too but their basically technically very good speed merchants in attack with some busy midfielders and a poorly organised defence

We’re in a position where we should be able to deal with that as we have better players and a better coach. Teams can only dream of the flexibility we have and now we have to sue it for our favour

Last edited:
Back