• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Some european team ***

I think one of the hardest things to gauge when people are not in the stadium is the vibe. And there is no doubt whatsoever that the vibe absolutely drained from us when the 5th went in. We didn’t manage to kick on after making it 2-4. But the vibe went, and certain players simply downed tools or lost their discipline. THAT was what really got me.

I think we were also very naive re:Gnabry. Very.

What was the crowd like?

From TV it seemed quiet by the end, but not as bad tempered as I expected it would be.

I said in the match thread, were it anyone but Poch "..getting sacked in the morning..." would be ringing out. Though the TV and their speakers and audio etc dont really give much away.

Ive seen only one mention of boos and jeers at the end, but nothing at all definitive.

What was the crowd like?

From TV it seemed quiet by the end, but not as bad tempered as I expected it would be.

I said in the match thread, were it anyone but Poch "..getting sacked in the morning..." would be ringing out. Though the TV and their speakers and audio etc dont really give much away.

Ive seen only one mention of boos and jeers at the end, but nothing at all definitive.

Poch might have been helped by the fact that half of the stadium had left by full-time! Maybe even more than half. So hard to say what the reaction would have been if everyone had stayed.

Personally though I actually thought the atmosphere was really good until the 83rd minute. We were still behind the team at that point I thought, as if we still had a chance of getting something from the game (or at least deserved praise for trying to). Then the last 3 goals happened so quickly loads of people just left, before really having the chance to air whatever their feelings were!

What was the crowd like?

First-half was incredible, in fact, my mate and I were saying this was what the CL Final should’ve been like; loud, electric and two slightly mental but exciting sides trading blows. Lewandoski’s goal took a big gust of life out of the crowd for me, and we never quite recovered. It felt like total bewilderment. By the end it felt like most people were in shell-shock. I think the likes of Sonny were too. The boos? Yes they were there BUT most of us were genuinely shell-shocked. It was beyond anger. Personally I’d have been OK had it not been for that last 10 mins; I cannot get the repeated image of
Aurier walking around feeling sorry for himself and deserting his duties, juxtaposed against Rose flying in for a 50/50 in the 90th min on the other side of the pitch from me.

Poch might have been helped by the fact that half of the stadium had left by full-time! Maybe even more than half. So hard to say what the reaction would have been if everyone had stayed.

Personally though I actually thought the atmosphere was really good until the 83rd minute. We were still behind the team at that point I thought, as if we still had a chance of getting something from the game (or at least deserved praise for trying to). Then the last 3 goals happened so quickly loads of people just left, before really having the chance to air whatever their feelings were!

That’s a great summation. I felt at 2-4 if we wanted it we could’ve got back in. Poch got Eriksen on, a player you expect to create. One shot. Otherwise brick. And Moura was useless as he can only play through the middle.

I think many were in a state of shock, to be fair.
It still hasn't totally worn off yet.

I was.

We were saying it did not feel like a 2-7 game.
But the bottom line is that it was a 2-7 game and none of us can hide. I just took it from my mates. In fairness, one of my gooner mates said he thinks similar would’ve happened to them though I don’t agree.

I was.

But the bottom line is that it was a 2-7 game and none of us can hide. I just took it from my mates. In fairness, one of my gooner mates said he thinks similar would’ve happened to them though I don’t agree.

Agreed. Perhaps I'm in the minority, but personally I actually left the stadium feeling sympathy for Poch and most of the players, rather than anger. Aurier (and maybe Rose, Toby and Eriksen) aside, I thought everyone's application and commitment was top notch, and resulted in a performance that was far better than 2-7.

Maybe watching such a result in person feels different to watching it on the TV? Or maybe it's just me, I don't know.

Strange how they had very few chances in the first half given that we "have a player at the base of the diamond that can't defend".

The problem isn't with individual players. It's that we're playing a system everyone fails with.
I think they had few chances because for the first 30 minutes of the game Bayern really struggled to get any attacks going as our attacking press was so successful.

As an aside do you think that Winks is good defensively? I see him playing as the deepest player but be wrong side of his opponent quite often when the opposition are in possession. I also see him charging around towards the ball instead of considering his position and ensuring that the key attacking area of the pitch isn't unmanned. Of course I could be doing Winks a massive disservice here and it could be that Pochettino is asking for this and hoping that as Winks charges to the ball Sissoko or N'Dombele tuck into ensure there isn't an acre of space in front of our centre halves. If Pochettino is hoping for that then he isn't getting those hopes across to the players.

Strange how they had very few chances in the first half given that we "have a player at the base of the diamond that can't defend".

The problem isn't with individual players. It's that we're playing a system everyone fails with.

Isn't it equally strange how they had very few chances in the first half given that we were playing 'a system everyone fails with'?

(Or have I misunderstood your post, and actually you think Bayern did have a lot of chances in the first chance?)

Hwtqot.

Looks like you could’ve walked across to Levy and availed him of your chipper wisdom with ease if you cared...
Na, face to face with people you have to try and hold some dignity and not come across as your average thick angry fan. I tend to keep that on the internet with people I dont know. Keyboard warrioresque. Hence why I told Ramon he was one of my favourite players...

I was.

I still can't get my head around it all!

I think they had few chances because for the first 30 minutes of the game Bayern really struggled to get any attacks going as our attacking press was so successful.

As an aside do you think that Winks is good defensively? I see him playing as the deepest player but be wrong side of his opponent quite often when the opposition are in possession. I also see him charging around towards the ball instead of considering his position and ensuring that the key attacking area of the pitch isn't unmanned. Of course I could be doing Winks a massive disservice here and it could be that Pochettino is asking for this and hoping that as Winks charges to the ball Sissoko or N'Dombele tuck into ensure there isn't an acre of space in front of our centre halves. If Pochettino is hoping for that then he isn't getting those hopes across to the players.

I think this is absolutely the crux of the issue.
It is why if he persists with a diamond, he needs to play Dier at the base. Dier will sit more for sure, but he will feed to Ndombele who can then surge and create. This is where Sissoko will either be found out or elevate, as he has to offer a decent option. Dele could play there instead but it does not make the best of his talents. It is why right now I agree with those who say it isn’t working, as the cover necessary for our below par FBs leaves us light and overloaded. I actually felt very sorry for Winks as he was placed in an unenviable position second-half. Again, Aurier did nothing but cause panic and place furthers stress with a continuum of bricky passes and curious positions.

That’s a great summation. I felt at 2-4 if we wanted it we could’ve got back in. Poch got Eriksen on, a player you expect to create. One shot. Otherwise brick. And Moura was useless as he can only play through the middle.
Think Eriksen had two shots?..... One over the bar from Kane's pass and one that produced a brilliant save from Neuer.

Agreed. Perhaps I'm in the minority, but personally I actually left the stadium feeling sympathy for Poch and most of the players, rather than anger. Aurier (and maybe Rose, Toby and Eriksen) aside, I thought everyone's application and commitment was top notch, and resulted in a performance that was far better than 2-7.

Maybe watching such a result in person feels different to watching it on the TV? Or maybe it's just me, I don't know.
I didn't see anything wrong with Toby's commitment. He was just left exposed to pacy players running at him one on one with either side to beat him on. Don't think I saw anything wrong with Eriksen's commitment either to be honest. Rose had his hands full with Coman but I don't think lacked any commitment?

It always does mate and I agree. I was saying the same, except I thought Rose gave his all. Aurier, Toby and Eriksen did not receive warm words from me, though in fairness it has been a while since they did!

I had a look back at the game and I must confess that I did somewhat understate the number of shots that Bayern had in the first half….

They actually had 7 shots in total in that first half. However 5 of those were from outside the penalty area with just 2 from inside (both falling to Ledandowski).

On the other hand Spurs had 8 shots in that first half (all inside the first 30 minutes when we were on top) and 6 out of those 8 shots were from inside the penalty area (4 of those shots being from Son).

During that first 30 minutes when Bayern struggled to play through our press it was 8 shots to 4 in our favour, with 6 shots from inside the box for us and only 1 from them. It is probably reasonably unusual for a game to be 1-1 after those sort of shot stats.

I thought there was no doubt that we were well on top during that opening period. It was only when we moved away from our press that Bayern started to dominate possession, work the ball forward and start to get a few chances (none of which were really as big a chances as we had from Son or N'Dombele).

I didn't see anything wrong with Toby's commitment. He was just left exposed to pacy players running at him one on one with either side to beat him on. Don't think I saw anything wrong with Eriksen's commitment either to be honest. Rose had his hands full with Coman but I don't think lacked any commitment?

Toby tried but for me he is almost done. Eriksen did nothing, save the one shot. Maybe my expectations of him are too great. Rose was a warrior.

Back