• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT Tottenham Hotspur v RSB

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ndombele was more key in setting the tempo imo, he was open and available for the pass all night and directly created two with great through balls. Of course the next game will be much tougher with far less time on the ball, but yesterday was an insight into a post Eriksen Spurs whith Ndombele spraying the ball around.

He was excellent as well.

There were some good performances out there which was lovely to see. We've played worse opposition and not been able to perform so it's a move in the right direction.

The "however" for me is that we still seem to be showing signs of naivety from midfield and it is too easy for opposing forwards to get the ball with only our back four (or fewer depending on the situation) between them and the goal. I think if we're going with a midfield pair then they need to be much more disciplined in terms of providing that shield. I am a fan of the Sissoko that we've seen over the last season and a half and see Wink's pros, and Wanyama + Dier if used correctly (and fit) can really work in the system but they need to accept they're pretty brick at creating opportunities / finishing chances.

N'dombele clearly has the guile and Sissoko can beast it through on occasion but there needs to be someone who is willing to drop back immediately to cover if one of them moves forward because decent teams will continue to punish us otherwise. Makes me wonder if Lo Celso could be that crucial player to fill the gap from what I've heard about him, shame he won't be up to full speed for the Liverpool game.

Standard of opposition notwithstanding, we saw a totally re-invigorated Tottenham last night. I'm struggling to remember the last game I came away from having really enjoyed watching us play. Winning, great. Lots of goals, great. But the speed of play, the passing, the movement off the ball, the overall will to win has all been lacking for so long. Last night felt like a return to the good days. There are much harder tests to come, of course, and we'll soon see whether a corner has been turned or whether it was a one off, but it feels like we've taken an important step forward.
I struggled to pick a MOTM but this time because of the choice, rather than more recently where it's been who was the least bad.

And, controversial as it might be, I have to say well played to the Red Star fans. They shouldn't have been there, but they organised themselves well and made their presence sufficiently known such that their players even walked over to applaud them after the game, as if they were bona fide away fans.
I have no idea how so many of them made it into the ground when it was obvious there were loads of them around outside beforehand.

Agree with all of this
Would love to see winks play with Ndombele for a game where the rest of the team turn up too
Nothing against sissoko but winks would offer us much more IMO
Yeah, Winks would offer a lot more 360's, a lot more unnecessary passes that slow the pace of the game, and a lot less defensive solidity.

Ndombele isn’t a deep lying player maker
I’ve watched him for 2 years before we bought him. He so very much a Dembele style driver form midfield who can pass well

Absolutely. He can play great incisive balls, but his drive and pace over the first 15-20 yards are his trademark (he will need to develop his other tools as that turn and drive will be sussed). But once fully up to speed, he looks great!

It will be interesting to see how our midfield stacks up against that Pool midfield. Several posters on here hate their midfield and say they are useless and constantly bypassed... we shall see soon enough!

Their midfield is all power (Chamberlain offers a little different).
Ours - when chosen well- is obdurate, mobile and creative.
It should be a cracking match!

6E607999-FEB5-4262-B1B1-ED1946D71B81.jpeg
flimflam. He does it regardless of how we play. Not always of course but more than any other player in the team.
Again it’s proven that is not correct
You can see his pass maps and he does pass sideways and backwards more than most because he is central. Defenders tend to go forwards and sideways due to their position
And attackers the same
But looking at the last maps he passes towards percentage wise more than most CMs
The thing to consider is we have the ball more than most sides too

Was at my first NWHL game to watch this on Tuesday with my son.

Early opening goal BY US. Check.
Multiple goals BY US in first half. Check.
Goals for Son and Kane. Check.
CLEAN SHEET! Check.

Good atmosphere and great view all around the ground and good refreshment options: it really is a GREAT stadium. One thing that was odd: the speaker system in our section was very muffled....hey, ho, minor stuff.

Still worry about how close we let player get to our area without a tackle...boy we REALLY need a dcm right now, because Ndombele (and perhaps Lo Celso) would flourish SOOOO much with that kind of shield beside/behind them...
I also still worry about how Alli dilly-dallys a bit too much and gets caught on the ball unnecessarily at times, but i guess he's still feeling his way back. I'd be VERY hesitant in playing in the next match though..

Great result, good application all round. Great evening out.
COYS

View attachment 7472
Again it’s proven that is not correct
You can see his pass maps and he does pass sideways and backwards more than most because he is central. Defenders tend to go forwards and sideways due to their position
And attackers the same
But looking at the last maps he passes towards percentage wise more than most CMs
The thing to consider is we have the ball more than most sides too
You misunderstand the criticism. When people say he plays sideways and backwards what they are really talking about is his propensity to playing safe passes usually over a short distance that do not progress the team forward.

A sideways pass into space for a FB to run on to has a markedly different effect to a short pass into feet. That is where Winks is letting himself down, it's great that he keeps it safe not wanting to give a ridiculous comparison but Xavi often played tens of safe short passes, but that was when the killer pass wasn't possible otherwise he could and would play the killer ball that got Barca and Spain moving.

Pass maps are a neat and useful tool to help analyse a player's passing positions but they don't give any information regarding the condition of the player recieving the ball. Winks need to play a bit quicker or break through lines with his running as he has done at times more so that his passes are more progressive and dangerous.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

You misunderstand the criticism. When people say he plays sideways and backwards what they are really talking about is his propensity to playing safe passes usually over a short distance that do not progress the team forward.

A sideways pass into space for a FB to run on to has a markedly different effect to a short pass into feet. That is where Winks is letting himself down, it's great that he keeps it safe not wanting to give a ridiculous comparison but Xavi often played tens of safe short passes, but that was when the killer pass wasn't possible otherwise he could and would play the killer ball that got Barca and Spain moving.

Pass maps are a neat and useful tool to help analyse a player's passing positions but they don't give any information regarding the condition of the player recieving the ball. Winks need to play a bit quicker or break through lines with his running as he has done at times more so that his passes are more progressive and dangerous.

I hear that all the time

but as I’ve said all the time is he can only do that with movement in front of him

this season we have had shocking movement and effort up front so you can only play with what you can. We had loads of movement vs the pub team midweek

Last edited:
I hear that all the time

but as I’ve said all the time is he can only do that with movement in front of him

this season we have had shocking movement and effort up front so you can only play with what you can. We had loads of movement vs the pub team midweek
The movement isn't great yet Ndombele and Eriksen (in his limited appearances) have played more through balls and progressive passes than Wink has you have to admit that. Just like Winks has played more than Sissoko will.

The movement isn't great yet Ndombele and Eriksen (in his limited appearances) have played more through balls and progressive passes than Wink has you have to admit that. Just like Winks has played more than Sissoko will.

When you look at some of the chances created for Kane and son (mostly missed) with simple but well timed and weighed balls through the centre from ndom, Eriksen and lamela, the it should highlight exactly what you are saying.
Those passes can happen all over the pitch but winks wants to be ultra sure and there's no time for that.

Back