• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT Tottenham Hotspur v RSB

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It will be interesting to see how our midfield stacks up against that Pool midfield. Several posters on here hate their midfield and say they are useless and constantly bypassed... we shall see soon enough!

I would add Aurier's only acceptable/good games are also aligned with Sissoko being in squad (mates, language, look out for each other, etc.), so if the 3 work as partnership, all the more power to it.

I really believe one of the issues we have had is not players but finding the right chemistry between certain pairs/groups (the who plays together in the whole Kane, Son, Lucas, Dele, Eriksen, Lamela or who together out of Jan, Toby, Foyth, Sanchez, Dier, etc.), sometimes the sum is greater than the parts and we have been missing that.

Re the Winks and Sissoko thing, to me it's simple

- the best and worst Spurs have played under Poch are usually directly connected to the tempo we play (fast = good game, slow = brick game)
- Tempo is not about how fast you run, it's how fast you move forward, pass the ball, pressure the opposition
- Winks may be better technically but he's without doubt less aggressive than Sissoko

You put Sissoko, N'dombele, Lamela and Son in a side and you are pretty sure they are going to bring a lot of energy to the game.

Agree with all of that
And again I’ll say when have the rest of the team played like that when Winks has a played? Look at Saturday... we had players not moving. They were static
The best we have played in the league was vs palace and we had loads of movement for the midfield to work with including from the full backs

It will be interesting to see how our midfield stacks up against that Pool midfield. Several posters on here hate their midfield and say they are useless and constantly bypassed... we shall see soon enough!

don’t think I’ve heard any more say their useless, just not very technical players, hence why they bypass them by going wide and then cutting in

it’s exactly how they were snuffed out by United. United let their midfield have the ball and pinned back the FBs. Sheffield United did the same thing.

Plopp changed things when he brought Keita on as he is a more direct runner form midfield.
They would have on the league last season with Coutinho there as he could have spotted into CM in the games they Drew and made a difference that players like Henderson and Fabinho don’t attack wise
I’ll add that Wilnaldum is massively under rated by most and he is their most important MF

Ndombele isn’t a deep lying player maker
I’ve watched him for 2 years before we bought him. He so very much a Dembele style driver form midfield who can pass well
If you're talking pure deep playmaker then yes I agree. I was taking you to mean players who have good passing ranges from deep which Ndombele has.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

If you're talking pure deep playmaker then yes I agree. I was taking you to mean players who have good passing ranges from deep which Ndombele has.

I was and he doesn’t do that
He passes those passes in their half mainly

I could be wrong but when people have slated Winks passing or lack of forward passes (he averages over half forward every game IIRC) they quote carrick as an ideal model... carrick was a deep long ball passer. The nearest currently is Jorginho hence why I mentioned him

View attachment 7467

This is worth looking at again. Toby gave the ball away 27 time’s vs Watford... 27 times

Jan gave it away 24 time’s in that game

sanchez 4!!!!!

Poch took Sanchez off when the other two were much much worse
Lets not get carried away, Sanchez has been awful in his defensive duties this season hence his lack of game time. To use stats in yesterdays game is pretty pointless, Im sure Toby's stats would have been better against that shower last night too.
Im not saying he shouldn't be used ahead of Toby, but I want to see Sanchez proving he can get back to defending properly like he showed in his first season here where he was Ledley-esque at times. He has been shaky for some time....

I was and he doesn’t do that
He passes those passes in their half mainly

I could be wrong but when people have slated Winks passing or lack of forward passes (he averages over half forward every game IIRC) they quote carrick as an ideal model... carrick was a deep long ball passer. The nearest currently is Jorginho hence why I mentioned him
For me it's not about the position or length of the passes pe see, but the player who plays them. So if Ndombele steps forward and plays the through ball for Kane's goal yesterday or Lamela's equaliser Vs City then I consider that a CM with good passing range. I'm sure we have even in his limited time so far seen a few longer quality passes from him as well. The range that he has shown suggests that if he want to play as Jorginho does he would be capable imo.

Based on what? I think Sissoko has proved he's better at the moment.

Last night I thought Sissoko looks cheap at £30m. In open games he’s amazing.

It’s what we do against the sit back and defend sides, that is our problem. And that’s not just a personnel issue, it’s how Poch sets us up break down teams. How we pass and move, coordinating movement patterns etc

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Lets not get carried away, Sanchez has been awful in his defensive duties this season hence his lack of game time. To use stats in yesterdays game is pretty pointless, Im sure Toby's stats would have been better against that shower last night too.
Im not saying he shouldn't be used ahead of Toby, but I want to see Sanchez proving he can get back to defending properly like he showed in his first season here where he was Ledley-esque at times. He has been shaky for some time....

fair comments but Toby has been awful this season and got away with no flak as it’s Toby our best defender in some peoples eyes (rather than the ageing player who no one wanted for a perceived bargain price in the summer)
Jan has equally been really really poor and it’s possible that those two have hurt Sanchez’s game as they have been that bad (jan gets some slack from me as he really is class)

Toby gave the ball away 27 time’s vs Watford... 27 times
Sanchez 4!!!!!
That isn't fair.
Sanchez sat deep and passed easy balls to Toby/Jan.
Toby/Jan were tasked with pushing forwards and wide and throwing balls into the mix, predictably not completing those passes

That isn't fair.
Sanchez sat deep and passed easy balls to Toby/Jan.
Toby/Jan were tasked with pushing forwards and wide and throwing balls into the mix, predictably not completing those passes

Sanchez played one half... and Toby and jam only went forward in the latter parts of the second half
In the first half Toby was Delefaus best source of the ball

View attachment 7467

This is worth looking at again. Toby gave the ball away 27 time’s vs Watford... 27 times

sanchez 4!!!!!

There were some mitigating circumstances there though. I think Sanchez’s passes were pretty much always simple passes to Jan or Toby alongside him, whereas Jan and Toby were getting forward and making lower percentage passes. Although not disputing that Jan and Toby passed the ball badly at the weekend.

There were some mitigating circumstances there though. I think Sanchez’s passes were pretty much always simple passes to Jan or Toby alongside him, whereas Jan and Toby were getting forward and making lower percentage passes. Although not disputing that Jan and Toby passed the ball badly at the weekend.
Vs Watford?
I was there and I genuinely haven’t seen a player pass as bad as Toby did for a longtime
I don’t mean his crosses into the box thy missed everyone and ended up with Danny Rose. I mean the 10 yard passes to midfield that were frequently going to Watford players

Vs Watford?
I was there and I genuinely haven’t seen a player pass as bad as Toby did for a longtime
I don’t mean his crosses into the box thy missed everyone and ended up with Danny Rose. I mean the 10 yard passes to midfield that were frequently going to Watford players
Same here. I think Toby had four opportunities to deliver a ball into the box from a good position when under little pressure that were shocking, as well as a number of reasonably simple passes as well. I think it was him who hit the long ball forward for the goal however (although that was just a hopeful ball up to Kane that counted as another incomplete pass anyway). I think it’s been pretty clear that Toby hasn’t been trying this season. He isn’t worth a place in our team at all.

I think people are getting far too bogged down in the importance of who plays out of Sissoko, Ndombele and Winks as a two in central midfield.

Any of those pairings can produce for us (its why we have a squad) as long as the system is 4231 and the players are sent out to play a high intensity, high energy game featuring a press with a good attitude from the players.

Against watford they were sent out in a 532 and for whatever reason produced a low energy and generally incompetent performance.

Against palace for example it was Winks and Sissoko but the system was correct and so was the application of it - and the score ended 4-0 to the home team.

That was more like it last night, Red Star were not very good i would agree but what i liked is that we moved the ball a lot quicker then we have been doing this season. So many times this season i have watched some of our players running into space but have not received the ball and after a while players stop making those type of runs.

Last night our movement was good and we played the ball a lot quicker and that enabled us to have more efforts at their goal. Early days but when we play like that we can cause opposing teams problems. So many of our players looked like they were enjoying playing again ( not seen many smiles so far this season) and i hope we continue in that trend.

Ndombele MOM for me.

I think people are getting far too bogged down in the importance of who plays out of Sissoko, Ndombele and Winks as a two in central midfield.

Any of those pairings can produce for us (its why we have a squad) as long as the system is 4231 and the players are sent out to play a high intensity, high energy game featuring a press with a good attitude from the players.

Against watford they were sent out in a 532 and for whatever reason produced a low energy and generally incompetent performance.

Against palace for example it was Winks and Sissoko but the system was correct and so was the application of it - and the score ended 4-0 to the home team.

I’d argue the reason why 4-2-3-1 works better is kane or whoever is up top is supported on the press and it means we’re defending from the front

takes the pressure off midfield

heard a podcast the other day talk about city and how De Bruyne playing takes all the pressure of their defence with his attacking passes

Back