• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT - Tottenham Hotspur v Emirates Marketing Project***

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
And what kind of setup has a player like Eriksen responsible for picking up a player like De Bruyne? I believe 'a brick one' is the answer!

I don't see why Eriksen should be exempt from that sort of defending. De Bruyne is his most comparable player in the league and he does the defensive side of the game just fine. Why can't Eriksen be expected to put in a similar shift in both sides of the game?

Yeah Son, certainly would have helped for sure.
I wonder if Poch left Moura on the bench as a pacy option to bring on later once we'd stayed in tghe game and also to be able to ask them different questions on the break, which it seemed we started to do in the second half, somewhat.
From what i listened to, Moura sprang them a few times on the break but the passing/decision-making was often not good enough.
Certainly was overall more an issue with the system than particular players, but we have to remember this is City and Pep who can make most teams tie themselves in knots. Not many will get a point there, let alone score twice.
I'm still mad that we couldn't see out the game without needing the help of VAR...

I think he said after he went for the option to keep the game as compact as possible but it actually stifled us as opposed to them. There were definitely a few times in the 2nd half where City were very high and Moura was waiting for the through ball but unfortunately we couldn't get him clear.

We can debate all the tactics and formations ever known to the game but if your players are not technically top tier, it's going to prove very difficult to cope with an opponent who is, and is also excellent at the pressing game.

To beat the press, two attributes are needed..Instant control when receiving the ball, thus enabling one and two touch passing. Then there's ball carrying, the ability to drop the shoulder, protect the ball, hit a burst of speed and go past the opponent ...

Marks for both these two attributes, ball control + ball carrying:

KWP... 7/6 .... TOBY... 6/5.... SANCHEZ....5/5.... ROSE...5/7.

SISS... 4/7.... WINKS... 6/6....N'DOMBELE 7/7.

LAMELA... 8-7....KANE 6/6....ERIKSEN 7/7.

Give Poch three City players, Laporte...8/7....Rodri 8/7 .... and either KDB or B.Silva who are both 9/9 players...exchange them for Sanchez, Siss and Winks, and I'm sure we're getting past the City press plenty of times, no problem..

There are times when the system is wrong for the players out on the pitch. I think Saturday was an example of this and more direct play in behind their full-backs is perhaps needed.

That backline, without the composure on the ball of both Vertonghen 8/7 and Davies 7/6, perhaps hurt us in our attempts to play past the City press more than we think..

I don't see why Eriksen should be exempt from that sort of defending. De Bruyne is his most comparable player in the league and he does the defensive side of the game just fine. Why can't Eriksen be expected to put in a similar shift in both sides of the game?

As I’ve tried to say a number of times, I’m not trying to defend Eriksen or say he shouldn’t ‘put in a shift’. I’m saying that from a tactical point of view, I don’t think the best way of dealing with De Bruyne is having Eriksen be significantly responsible for him, given that De Bruyne effectively plays as an inside forward. In the same way that I expect Kane to work hard, but not be given responsibility for tracking Aguero’s runs (to give a more extreme example).

See my previous post with a freeze-frame of the game, to see the point I’m trying to make.

We can debate all the tactics and formations ever known to the game but if your players are not technically top tier, it's going to prove very difficult to cope with an opponent who is, and is also excellent at the pressing game.

To beat the press, two attributes are needed..Instant control when receiving the ball, thus enabling one and two touch passing. Then there's ball carrying, the ability to drop the shoulder, protect the ball, hit a burst of speed and go past the opponent ...

Marks for both these two attributes, ball control + ball carrying:

KWP... 7/6 .... TOBY... 6/5.... SANCHEZ....5/5.... ROSE...5/7.

SISS... 4/7.... WINKS... 6/6....N'DOMBELE 7/7.

LAMELA... 8-7....KANE 6/6....ERIKSEN 7/7.

Give Poch three City players, Laporte...8/7....Rodri 8/7 .... and either KDB or B.Silva who are both 9/9 players...exchange them for Sanchez, Siss and Winks, and I'm sure we're getting past the City press plenty of times, no problem..

There are times when the system is wrong for the players out on the pitch. I think Saturday was an example of this and more direct play in behind their full-backs is perhaps needed.

That backline, without the composure on the ball of both Vertonghen 8/7 and Davies 7/6, perhaps hurt us in our attempts to play past the City press more than we think..

I like the jist of your post and agree 2ith the concept, nuts not with the marks. You give Lamela a rating 8/7 [emoji53] yes his instant control is decent but nothing I would call exceptional, bit he has a 7 for ball carrying is ridiculously generous. His ball carrying technique is poor he often trips over his own feet and had to check his own run because he has over pushed the ball.

I also disagree quite strongly with your Eriksen rating as he is incredibly easy to disposses. Eriksen is more like a 6 even you have KDB as a 9 who is incredibly hard to get the ball off and has excellent press resistance and Lamela is a 4. Watch the city game back, he loses the virtually any time a city player is within a few yards of him. He is not a good ball carrier.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

According to whoscored Sissoko, Winks and Sissoko (and Moura) managed 0 tackles and 0 interceptions between them. Moura made 1 foul, the other three mentioned made 0.

Easy to point fingers at individuals, but as a team we didn't get close to them.

On the ball it was pretty much just as bad.

Some have picked out Ndombele as a weak point. He made 5 tackles and 2 interceptions. Just for comparison.

To me we were mainly disjointed, some way off form, still lacking key players, and up against an outstanding side in form.

We need to improve, we need to find form, hopefully rather quickly.

According to whoscored Sissoko, Winks and Sissoko (and Moura) managed 0 tackles and 0 interceptions between them. Moura made 1 foul, the other three mentioned made 0.

Easy to point fingers at individuals, but as a team we didn't get close to them.

Some have picked out Ndombele as a weak point. He made 5 tackles and 2 interceptions. Just for comparison.

To me we were mainly disjointed, some way off form, still lacking key players, and up against an outstanding side in form.

That’s amazing considering how much of the ball they had.

They cut through our midfield like it wasn’t there.

Meant our forwards had nothing to work with as well.

all I saw was that Emirates Marketing Project was the better team and had many more better players.
everyone one of them was unflappable - composed under pressure, great first touch, brave and supported each other.

if we get a lo celso and ndombele every season it might take us another 3-4 years to match up to them

Sent from my SM-T835 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Yup, Emirates Marketing Project’s pressing was streets ahead of ours but thankfully Pochettino has a few more weeks to get everyone up to speed before we visit Anfield; where I’m not so confident in VAR coming to our rescue.

661FEAF3-A892-4FA4-AB33-0D307486805C.png

4ED3A2A5-C372-48E6-B1BA-A9F6548AC9CD.png

F9F2B7E9-61FE-439B-8AAF-3F5F7CDA5505.jpeg

Last edited:
all I saw was that Emirates Marketing Project was the better team and had many more better players.
everyone one of them was unflappable - composed under pressure, great first touch, brave and supported each other.

if we get a lo celso and ndombele every season it might take us another 3-4 years to match up to them

Sent from my SM-T835 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Essentially it's this - City are currently one of the best teams of all time and certainly have the right to claim being the best British side ever after last season, you can try and pin point where we set up wrong all you want but sometimes you just have to hold your hands up, when a team like Guardiolas City bring their A-game it'll take something special/lucky to come out the other side with anything other than a solid beating.

Back