• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT - Tottenham Hotspur v Emirates Marketing Project***

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Agreed elltrev, that picture sums it up

We are totally overloaded, the system was terrible

I've just read 10 threads criticising player performances, but that is because we never had an outlet, we could never make 4 passes in a row because City dominated and stifled every outlet. That is a SYSTEM or a PLAN error, not a player error.

What's funny is people miss this .. we had 4 fouls, City had 14 .. seems odd for a side that was dominating? no, every time we got the ball and tried to build our rhythm, tactical foul.

Make no mistake, what makes City dangerous is the mix of physicality, tactical fouling (that goes unpunished), pace and genuinely brilliant players (yes, fudging you KDB)

Let me explain what Spurs did well yesterday as very few seem to understand of want to give credit for

- We stayed in the game, no matter how overrun, no matter how outplayed at moments, we stayed in the game, hence we were always in a position to take something from it
- We were clinical, 3 shots on target, 2 good goals (not flukey/lucky, well taken, calculated goals)
- First team in 15 attempts to get a point off City at home, 5 of last 8 goals scored against them at home .. so for as "bad" as we were, we somehow seem to do more than others

And what City did wrong was not make it count, yes, lots of shots, but how many world class saves or last ditch clearances?

We have had games where we dominated and hit 20+ shots too close to keeper or in savable areas and left frustrated and without 3 points, this is no different.
This.

Last season they missed Fernandinho’s tactical fouls (amazing how often he’d get away without a booking just because he’d smile as he helped his latest victim to their feet o_O) but looks like Guardiola had them all at it yesterday.

Seems that only Lamela, Dier, Vertonghen and Dele really excel at such dark arts in our squad.

8F74592B-170C-4FA8-B63E-BA5021848CDB.png

When we play them at the lane we should chip the ball against their hands every time we get in their box.

I wouldn’t swap, everyone at their best, our eleven wins imo.

There’s not a shred of evidence to suggest that’s true. Yesterday highlighted that
How so? That may well have been their best eleven. And they played pretty damn well.
We played rather poorly and without our first choice eleven.
And they didn't win.

We got a point through sheer luck and clinical finishing. They were superior in just about every area of the pitch. We didn’t create barely anything and didn’t look solid defensively. I’m pleased with the result but the performance was a reminder of how far behind them we are. I can’t remember the last time we had 3 shots on goal in a match. You’d probably have to go back the Christina Gross days.

We’d do well to finish within 10 points of them at the end of the season.

There’s not a shred of evidence to suggest that’s true. Yesterday highlighted that

We got a point through sheer luck and clinical finishing. They were superior in just about every area of the pitch. We didn’t create barely anything and didn’t look solid defensively. I’m pleased with the result but the performance was a reminder of how far behind them we are. I can’t remember the last time we had 3 shots on goal in a match. You’d probably have to go back the Christina Gross days.

We’d do well to finish within 10 points of them at the end of the seaso
n.

That would certainly be an improvement on last season.

And you'd EXPECT them to be superior in just about every area of the pitch. They are a great team with great players, tuned to a specific system and with designed and defined roles.
If you have that, with the first choice players available and with them playing well...that's near their zenith. We were closer to our nadir. And we weren't destroyed.
If we were clearly playing at our best and yet still were dominated and taken apart with only 3 shots, that would be seriously troubling.

Here's an image to show exactly what I mean, just before their second goal. Eriksen's pushed up to Walker, leaving Rose to deal with both De Bruyne and Silva on his own. You could say Sanchez or Winks should have come across to mark De Bruyne, and maybe they should have done, but in a zonal system they don't want to be dragged out of their central position and leave gaps there.

If we had a third CB next to Sanchez (playing instead of where Sissoko is, giving us a 5-3-2), De Bruyne wouldn't have been an issue here.

View attachment 7091
Winks should come across.

This.

Last season they missed Fernandinho’s tactical fouls (amazing how often he’d get away without a booking just because he’d smile as he helped his latest victim to their feet o_O) but looks like Guardiola had them all at it yesterday.

Seems that only Lamela, Dier, Vertonghen and Dele really excel at such dark arts in our squad.

View attachment 7092
To be fair those 4 fouls we conceded were probably the only 4 opportunities we had to foul that weren’t in and around our own penalty area. :(

Agreed elltrev, that picture sums it up

We are totally overloaded, the system was terrible

I've just read 10 threads criticising player performances, but that is because we never had an outlet, we could never make 4 passes in a row because City dominated and stifled every outlet. That is a SYSTEM or a PLAN error, not a player error.

Bang on. We were set up to pass it into the middle cluster of players which suited them no end. The best way to play City is to bypass giving them the opportunity to press/tactical foul and put pressure on Ottamendi and the defence as quickly as possible. Having no Son was an issue but then leaving out Moura compounded that imo.

I watched most of the first half and was just happy that we weren't as wide open as the CL second-leg there. I felt a bit of fustration that nobody seemed to be tasked with getting on top of De Bruyne, but he is very difficult to stop AND not also then give the likes of Sterling or Bernado Silva more space.
It would just be nice to pull down the shutter and go in level at HT after equalising. Hmmph!

Overall, i though in he first half we coped as well as anyone would expect given our absenteesa dn City being City. Hugo didn't have to make any worldies as far as i remebered in the first half.
I didn't see much f the second half as i was in and out doing errands, but heard our equaliser on the radio so was very happy going into the last 5 mins or so being level. Obviously VAR saved us and for me, whilst i'm very happy with the point it is a worrying thing that i was expecting us to concede. Why can't we get to the 90th minute in these kind of games and not do some kind of brainfart? Arsenal at Wembley, Chelsea away just before that, Liverpool away and also CL final, Emirates Marketing Project CL second leg and then yet again on Saturday. Why can't we simply keep things out at the last minute in such big games anymore (save for a VAR intervention or the other team missing a penalty)?

Oh well, as @Rorschach said take the point (which likely very few will this season), learn the lessons and move on.

COYS

Bang on. We were set up to pass it into the middle cluster of players which suited them no end. The best way to play City is to bypass giving them the opportunity to press/tactical foul and put pressure on Ottamendi and the defence as quickly as possible. Having no Son was an issue but then leaving out Moura compounded that imo.

Yeah Son, certainly would have helped for sure.
I wonder if Poch left Moura on the bench as a pacy option to bring on later once we'd stayed in tghe game and also to be able to ask them different questions on the break, which it seemed we started to do in the second half, somewhat.
From what i listened to, Moura sprang them a few times on the break but the passing/decision-making was often not good enough.
Certainly was overall more an issue with the system than particular players, but we have to remember this is City and Pep who can make most teams tie themselves in knots. Not many will get a point there, let alone score twice.
I'm still mad that we couldn't see out the game without needing the help of VAR...

Back