• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT - Tottenham Hotspur v Borussia Dortmund - first leg***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably one that doesn't include Onomah and Carroll and played Lamela, Dembele and Kane from the start to be honest. Does your criteria include those two within a strongest 11?

No, but you need your entire squad to feel they're trusted and so if circumstances unfold that offer you a chance to extend that trust whilst resting some vital players for a charge at your first title since before 7/8ths of this forum were born, then I think you take it. what if we need Onomah to come in and do a job against, say, Chelski? Who is to say that 90 minutes against Dortmund where he did not embarrass himself by any stretch won't give him confidence? Where might Harry Kane have been without EL 'rotation' last season? Possibly on loan to Middlesborough!

I'm pretty sure the commentator today in the Villa game said that Chadli only lasted 25 minutes against Dortmund and had to be taken off with an injury... I checked and he came off after 58 for Dembele, was it an injury? Can't remember? Chadli came on today so I doubt it.

THAT, my friend, is obviously someone not used to seeing The Shagger putting in one of his more typical shifts...:(

No, but you need your entire squad to feel they're trusted and so if circumstances unfold that offer you a chance to extend that trust whilst resting some vital players for a charge at your first title since before 7/8ths of this forum were born, then I think you take it. what if we need Onomah to come in and do a job against, say, Chelski? Who is to say that 90 minutes against Dortmund where he did not embarrass himself by any stretch won't give him confidence? Where might Harry Kane have been without EL 'rotation' last season? Possibly on loan to Middlesborough!

I wouldn't trust Onomah to come in and do a job against Chelsea to be honest Steff. If he or Carroll played any substantial time in a fixture like that without there being an injury crisis then I would be very annoyed. He hasn't done anything to justify his inclusion in a game like that to my mind. He needs to go out on loan and show his mettle and Carroll, well he will hopefully be elsewhere next season.

I wouldn't trust Onomah to come in and do a job against Chelsea to be honest Steff. If he or Carroll played any substantial time in a fixture like that without there being an injury crisis then I would be very annoyed. He hasn't done anything to justify his inclusion in a game like that to my mind. He needs to go out on loan and show his mettle and Carroll, well he will hopefully be elsewhere next season.

But funnily enough, he was one of our better players on Thursday night

But funnily enough, he was one of our better players on Thursday night

Couldn't disagree more but being on TV might have given you a different perspective. From what I saw at the game, he was poor in my opinion and I don't think he has been anything other than average in any games he has played. He hasn't done anything that has stood out as intelligent or breathtaking or even done basic things particularly well. You feel differently and that is fine but for me he hasn't done anything even approaching first team standard for the time being that would merit inclusion on a regular basis.

Couldn't disagree more but being on TV might have given you a different perspective. From what I saw at the game, he was poor in my opinion and I don't think he has been anything other than average in any games he has played. He hasn't done anything that has stood out as intelligent or breathtaking or even done basic things particularly well. You feel differently and that is fine but for me he hasn't done anything even approaching first team standard for the time being that would merit inclusion on a regular basis.

He's replaced Townsend in our squad and I think that he has done better than him

He's replaced Townsend in our squad and I think that he has done better than him

How much has he actually replaced Townsend? Townsend played virtually no part in our season at all. Onomah is an addition to the squad at the moment to fill it up and isn't a direct replacement for Townsend who is also poor. Onomah is most definitely not winger or wide midfielder either.

How much has he actually replaced Townsend? Townsend played virtually no part in our season at all. Onomah is an addition to the squad at the moment to fill it up and isn't a direct replacement for Townsend who is also poor. Onomah is most definitely not winger or wide midfielder either.

I just meant his position in the squad. Obviously, it is not a like for like replacement

Full credit for traveling (as always - and I'm sure you didn't need that from me BTW, I meant it in positive spirit and not patronizing in any way) and having done several European trips myself (including one to FC Twente where I fully expected NOT to see a full 11) I have to say that I think there is a middle view on the matter (I also don't think Milo meant traveling fans were 'fools' BTW, I really don't, and again, given that it was a poor choice of word, I think -by your admission- his usual very smart and erudite contributions should earn him a break on this one)...

But let's break down the team selection.

Dier - carrying a knock and knackered
Alli - suspended
Rose - carrying a knock and usually rotated
Walker - usually rotated
Verts - injured
Dembele - coming off an injury - 75 mins against the Goons
Kane - needed a rest

I think we all saw those situations prior to the game. So effectively, that leaves three positions people are upset about.

Carroll
Mason
Chadli

Carroll over Bentaleb must be to do with the meritocracy/Bentaleb not doing enough for the manager. Carroll is a ball-player and someone who doesn't usually lose possession/can play quick touch football. I don't think anyone thought he would be quite so out of his depth. I didn't.

Mason - excellent when playing alongside a 'first-team-player' but as we sadly saw, not at his best when part of a tandem with Carroll. Again, few options in there right now.

Chadli - has been scoring goals and has played a role all season. I think, sadly, once again we would have to say he was not up to it against this quality.

Son was someone that many wanted to start instead of Kane (given that there was an acceptance Kane needed a rest) especially given his success against Dortmund in his Bundy days. I think he is still carrying some of that foot issue because he was too hesitant when he had the chances.

Our FBs tucked in to support CBs who were overrun by poor midfield protection.

It was a poor performance, but I think when you break it down, for some people to suggest that the manager gave up on it before KO is scandalous.

We will be better for this in the long run, trust me...this manager learns from what he sees, and it won't happen next season, in part because we will have the money to get him what he wants this summer.

COYS

Stop being so reasonable. You must blame someone!!!!!

Fair enough, but I suppose my point was that at least IF we had to ask him, such experiences would stand him in good stead for such massive tests. I hope our first choice 11 stays fit for 8 more matches too mate.

He can play all across the front three in there behind HK, which is precisely why he is in the squad and Andros got moved on. It's interesting because the margins are fine, but ultimately, every player in the squad serves a multi-purpose, and I'm sure a few will be improved upon despite that come the summer...

I cannot see why anyone would think we will do anything other than field a similar side to the last match. Could our best XI beat Dortmund buy 4 goals? I don't think so. If we did win it would take a monumental effort and probably drain the players physically and a loss would crush them mentally. What would we achieve apart from a victory, two more games sandwiched between Liverpooh, Man Utd and Stoke games, I know these are 3 easy games the U19 could win but I would prefer we had strong teams trying to get as many points as possible in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back