• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Tottenham Hotspur - Some German Team

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What a superb 2nd half performance last night, we just blew Dortmund away. Brave and clever tactical decisions by Poch at half time to push the wing backs further forward with Ericsen slightly deeper and we just seemed to raise the pace of the game. At half time I was saying that Jan can play left back but not left wing back but what do I know! Really an amazing 2nd half from Jan with limitless energy but well supported by the rest of the team. Subs worked a treat as well.

As an afterthought I didn't think that Dortmund were as good as last year when they absolutely battered us in the first half.

Just re-watched the second half (something I thoroughly recommend), and wow. Just wow. Magnificent. Even Sissoko (talking to you, @scaramanga - watch at 62.20-ish how ‘lucky’ he gets). What a half of football. And Verts was LITERALLY on fire. Literally covered in flames. What he was doing as a centre forward for his goal, whom knows. And it was his interception that lead to the corner that lead to Lamp-post getting the third.

What a foo-kin joy to behold. I LOVE this club (as a grey old cnut) and have done since 1973. And what we are seeing this season - and all the Poch seasons - is truly special. In an era of blood-money doped clubs we are doing it OUR way, with OUR players from OUR academy, with a coach who can read auras and a spirit I have only seen with mine eyes I’m the 80’s. A club and a team with an identity and a togethness. Who’d have thought that (even with their absences) a team with Foyth, Verts at wing back and no Dele or Kane or Dembele or Dier we’d thoroughly throttle Dortmund?

I LOVE THIS CLUB AND THE LESS MISERABLE OF YOU LOT ON HERE.

I loved the accidental double headed keepy uppy to himself a few minutes before.

In honesty he was great though, the action you mention was ace and a few moments later he was played through by Son and delivered a wonderful low cross from the right.

Love the Terminator. He definitely runs like the Terminator.

Comments like that from '"neutrals" totally miss the point of nights like last night (if I correctly interpret the context of the comment as being "yeah, you won, but...").
Sure, we all want to win a trophy. But winning a trophy is not intrinsically linked to being able to enjoy a game, laud a performance and come away feeling euphoric like we all did last night. Not winning the CL will not take away that feeling. If we never won another trophy ( :( ) but the team continues to give us nights like that, I'd still be happy (albeit grudging that we/they weren't getting what they deserved).

I don't think there's any need for reality checks this morning. No one thinks we've won the thing and whilst we have a very comfortable cushion going into the 2nd leg, our natural fear of messing things up stops us from getting too carried away.
For now, let's just revel in the win and the manner of the win and let these so-called neutrals wallow in their definition of what a "top club" should be doing.
Just saying ..great win...we've been here before...
GHod speed Spurs.....
Onwards and forward....

What a superb 2nd half performance last night, we just blew Dortmund away. Brave and clever tactical decisions by Poch at half time to push the wing backs further forward with Ericsen slightly deeper and we just seemed to raise the pace of the game. At half time I was saying that Jan can play left back but not left wing back but what do I know! Really an amazing 2nd half from Jan with limitless energy but well supported by the rest of the team. Subs worked a treat as well.

As an afterthought I didn't think that Dortmund were as good as last year when they absolutely battered us in the first half.

620x349

To strike my normal post-match 'miserable bugger' tone.

I thought Dortmund last night confirmed what many of us previously thoughts on how weak the Bundesleague is these days.

Can't have you lot too happy after all.

To strike my normal post-match 'miserable bugger' tone.

I thought Dortmund last night confirmed what many of us previously thoughts on how weak the Bundesleague is these days.

Can't have you lot too happy after all.
I think they paid us a little too much respect, didn’t really press the defence so although they had the once real chance in the first half I didn’t feel that we were particularly uncomfortable just needed the usual fatigue to set in when facing unadventurous opponents in the second half to open up more space. A highlight of this season for me with the team is that play patiently, knowing the opportunities and usually the goals will come even if we don’t get an early one.

Last edited:
Just watching the second half replay myself and other than thinking 'fudge we're playing well' I also found the little voice in my head proclaiming 'Chrlsea are welcome to Pulisic' .. He didn't impress me at all.

Dortmund showed some attacking trickery first half. But the way they were dominated by us second half was suprising. They looked inexperienced and unable to get a foothold. None of their players stood up and tried to wrest back some control. From their perspective they were terrible second half.

First half there were signs of us creating. We didn't put it all together but what changed second half was we contained them superbly. Poch got Sanchez and Foyth more settled, and addressed the Dortmund wing threat. Then with Wembley roostering for once, Dortumd crumbled. Hopefully its a sign of things to come for the remainder of the season.

The away leg should now fall straight into our hands, Dortmund will need to attack and we'll be deadly on the counter as usual, I can see us scoring at least one.

We are Spurs after all. So anything is possible with us. Remember we were leading Wolves 3-0 comfortably but ended up with a nervy 3-2 win earlier in the season. If we played like in the first half, then we will be in trouble. Amid all this, we have to thank our neighbour Arsenal for buying Aubemayang from Dortmund. Aubemayang enjoys scoring against us and would have scored in the first half if he was still with Dortmund.

Who the fudge voted Lloris? Barely touched the ball all game, apart from his Gordon Banks save. :p

Robbie Savage made me laugh last night.

Fletch: "What can Spurs do here Robbie in the second half to turn the tide?"
Savage: "I'd get Vertonghen to sit in as a proper left back. He's pushing too far forward."

Within one minute, his analysis was blown apart. The prick didn't shut up about Vertonghen for the rest of the game. It got to stalker levels of fascination.

Never in the history of football has there been a more clueless pundit.

Incredible how good we play when Davies isn't completely killing any attack on the left. Verts is our best CB, best LB and best LWB. Can we clone him?

Comments like that from '"neutrals" totally miss the point of nights like last night (if I correctly interpret the context of the comment as being "yeah, you won, but...").
Sure, we all want to win a trophy. But winning a trophy is not intrinsically linked to being able to enjoy a game, laud a performance and come away feeling euphoric like we all did last night. Not winning the CL will not take away that feeling. If we never won another trophy ( :( ) but the team continues to give us nights like that, I'd still be happy (albeit grudging that we/they weren't getting what they deserved).

I don't think there's any need for reality checks this morning. No one thinks we've won the thing and whilst we have a very comfortable cushion going into the 2nd leg, our natural fear of messing things up stops us from getting too carried away.
For now, let's just revel in the win and the manner of the win and let these so-called neutrals wallow in their definition of what a "top club" should be doing.

Great post. I'd love a trophy or two, I really would and these lads deserve it. But they've given me more joy over the last 4 years than I've ever had following Spurs. The consistency, the lack of disappointing defeats (I mean against teams you'd expect to hockey, not losing a semi-final), the way we've approached games and the fact we have an identity and plan under this manager. Remember the Tactics Tim and AVB season. Jesus Christ, that was horrible. We finished 6th but I was struggling to care. I disliked most of the players and wasn't a fan of either manager. It was probably the least connected I ever felt with Spurs and I'd been through Ossie, Gross and Gooner George.

I'd rather what I have now than a League Cup/FA Cup here and there and our traditional flakiness in the league.

Last night, like so many other days with this team, was absolutely wonderful - took me from feeling terrible to walking on air.

Back