• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

**OMT** TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR FC VS. Watford FC** FA CUP 4th Round

THFC6061

Paul Robinson
Tottenham Hotspur v Watford Match History 1894 to 2012

8129.jpg

Watford host Tottenham Hotspur at Vicarage Road on Friday 27th January 2012 in a Fourth Round 2011-12 FA Cup fixture.

Watford are currently in 18th place in the Championship on 30 points and beat Bradford City 4-2 at home in the FA Cup Third Round, while Tottenham Hotspur are in 3rd place in the Premier League on 46 points and beat Cheltenham Town 3-0 at home in the FA Cup Third Round.

This will be the 60th time the two teams have met and the 6th time in the FA Cup, with Spurs having won the previous five games.

The first meeting came on 13th October 1894 in the first qualification round of the FA Cup in what was Tottenham Hotspur's very first match in the competition. Over 2,000 saw Spurs beat West Hertfordshire 3-2, as Watford were known as then, at Northumberland Park. Peter Hunter and Don Goodall (2) scored Tottenham's goals.

West Herts and Watford St. Mary's merged in 1898 to form Watford FC and the club played Spurs at Cassio Road in the Southern League in October 1900 winning 2-1. The return fixture at White Hart Lane was won 7-0 by Spurs. The clubs met for a further six seasons in the Southern League resulting in a total of 8 wins for Spurs, one win for Watford and 5 drawn matches.

At the end of the 1907-08 season, Spurs joined the Football League and Watford would later become a Third Division team in 1920-21 when the Southern League was incorporated into the Football League as the Third Division.

The clubs met four times during the First World War with Spurs winning all the matches.

Two FA Cup matches were played during the inter-war years with Spurs winning a 2nd Round (today's 4th Round) match 1-0 in January 1922 and beating Watford again in a 3rd Round match 7-1 in January 1939.

There were 10 meetings during World War Two with Spurs winning 7 games, Watford one and two draws.

The first Football League Cup meeting came in the 2nd Round in September 1975 with Spurs winning 1-0 thanks to a Chris Jones goal.

Watford's first season in the Top Flight of English football came during 1982-83 and they beat Spurs at White Hart Lane 1-0 with Spurs winning at Vicarage Road by the same score with a goal from Mark Falco.

Watford remained in the First Division for another five seasons and Spurs had the slight edge with 6 wins to Watford's 5 with one game drawn.

The clubs were drawn together in the two-legged League Cup 2nd Round in 1994 with Spurs winning 6-3 at Vicarage Road and Watford winning 3-2 at the Lane.

Spurs won an FA Cup 3rd Round tie in January 1999 5-2 with goals from Steffan Iversen (2), Darren Anderson, Allan Nielsen and Ruel Fox.

Watford had two seasons in the Premier League, the first of which came in 1999-2000 with Spurs winning 4-0 at the Lane with goals from David Ginola, Steffan Iversen and a brace from Tim Sherwood. The reverese fixture was drawn 1-1 with Chris Armstrong scoring for Spurs.

The game at Watford in 2006-07 was drawn 0-0 with Spurs winning 3-1 at the Lane with goals from Jermaine Jenas, an astonishing long range goal from the Spurs goalkeeper Paul Robinson and Hossam Ghaly.

The most recent meeting between the two clubs came in the Football League Cup in December 2008 with Spurs winning the 5th Round fixture 2-1 with goals from Roman Pavlyuchenko and Darren Bent. Watford's goal was scored by Tamas Priskin.

Overall, Spurs have won 39 games, Watford have won 8 games and the remaining 12 matches played have been drawn.

Chris Adams
Gerry Armstrong
Espen Baardsen
George Badenoch
Bert Badger
Fred Barnett
Peter Beadle
Dennis Bond
Ron Burgess (Spurs player, Watford Manager)
Keith Burkinshaw (Spurs Manager, Watford asst. Manager)
Darren Caskey
Jim Chalmers
Bobby Cook
Harry Crump
Calum Davenport
Chris Day
Wally Earnes
Jack Elkes
Mark Falco
Lee Gardner
Johnny Galvin
George Gemmell
Arthur Grimsdell (also Watford Director)
Tommy Harmer
Danny Hill
Arthur Hopkins
Alex Inglethorpe (Watford player, Spurs development manager)
Pat Jennings
Jimmy Jones
John L Jones
Jimmy Kennedy
Peter Kyle
Bill Lane
Colin Lee (Spurs player, Watford Manager)
Roy Low
Paul Miller
Joe Moffatt
John Moran
Allan Nielsen
Tom Pangbourne
Steve Perryman (Spurs player, Watford Manager)
Jimmy Reid
Mark Robson
Danny Rose
Ronny Rosenthal
John Ryden
Tim Sherwood (also Spurs Development Manager)
Peter Shreeves (Spurs Manager, Watford asst. manager)
Alf Stokes
Walter Tattersall
Peter Taylor (Spurs player, Watford asst. manager)
Andros Townsend
Dennis Uphill
Ramon Vega
Wilf Waller
Mark Yeates

Last edited:
tottenham-spurs-badge.jpg VS. 36262_Watford_FC.jpg

Vicarage Road

27 January 2012

7:45 KO

-------------Cudicini--------------

Corluka----Bassong---Dawson----Rose

Pienaar---Livermore----Kranjcar----Dos Santos

---------Pavlyuchenko-------Defoe------

0-3 Spurs Pav X3

1.jpg

clam err. ref: chris-foy-415x275.jpg

Last edited:
-------------Cudicini--------------

Corluka----Bassong---Dawson----Rose

Pienaar---Livermore----Kranjcar----Dos Santos

---------Pavlyuchenko-------Defoe------

Quite like the look of that lineup, with one exception of course. If Sandro is fit i would play him for 60 mins, he's going to need the match time to get back into it. His services might be required in the new future.

What Is It Like For Visiting Supporters?

Away fans are housed in the Vicarage Road Stand at one end of the ground. This stand is normally shared with home supporters (with the obligatory 'no-mans land' comprised of empty seats covered in netting
in-between). Around 2,200 visiting fans can be accommodated in this area. The stand has electronic turnstiles, meaning that you have to place your ticket into a bar code reader to gain entrance. You should also then expect to be searched by the stewards on the way in.

I've always found this club friendly and the stewarding relaxed on my four visits and have never had any hassle, although at times there can be a heavy police presence around the ground and in the town centre. My only real gripe is that the size of the concourse at the back of the stand is one of the tightest that I have come across and is wholly inadequate when there is a large away following. If you manage to get to the serving hatch, then you will find on offer the usual fayre available including; Pies (including the Chicken Balti Pie) ?ú2.70, Pasties ?ú2.30, Sausage Rolls ?ú1.70, Pizza Pods ?ú2.30 and Rollover Hot Dogs ?ú3. Adam Hodson a visiting Stockport fan adds; 'I was very impressed with the ground and the modern facilities. There was plenty of leg room in the way end and a good atmosphere. However, the concourses are very small meaning that they easily get crowded'. There is also a Ladbrokes betting outlet available.
On the first occasion that I visited Vicarage Road, I met a Watford supporter in a pub who gave me a free ticket to that night's game against Luton. I was also impressed with this chap as at the time he had visited 91 League grounds with Watford. Perhaps he was in some part my inspiration for doing the '92'.

Where To Drink?

Christopher Harrison a visiting Middlesbrough fan recommends the 'Odd Fellows' (previously called 'Macs Bar') in Fearnley Street. 'It is only a couple of hundred yards from the ground and they even had a barbeque in the beer garden'. The bar is situated off Cassio Road and is clearly visible when taking the route to Vicarage Road from the town centre via Market Street. The pub is only a few minutes walk away from the away turnstiles. It has a large beer garden, with a covered area for smokers and offers from its barbecue, Burgers (?ú3) and Hot Dogs (?ú2.50). Even though it was very busy on my last visit, I was impressed with the service from behind the bar, getting served in reasonable time (even though it looked like you had no chance of getting near to the bar let alone being served!).

Otherwise the ground is in walking distance of the town centre, where along the High St you will find a few pubs including a large Wetherspoons outlet called the Moon Under Water, O'Neils and a Walkabout. If you are feeling peckish then if you are walking to the ground from the town centre then there are a number of eating establishments enroute. Please note that alcohol is not sold in the away section

By Train/Tube

The nearest station is Watford High Street, a ten minute walk away from the ground. However you are likely to come into Watford Junction train station, which is about a 20 minute walk. Either get a train to Watford High Street from Watford Junction or if you have time to walk to the ground then:

Leave the station & take main road straight opposite (Clarendon Road) all the way (over Ring Road at lights) up to the High Street. Turn left and go past past Wetherspoons (Moon under Water) on your right and then take the first right after 100 yards into Market Street. Continue along again crossing Ring Road to T junction & then left at an excellent chip shop. Vicarage Road is the next right turn. Should take around 15-20 minutes to walk.

Watford also has its own London Underground tube station, which is on the Metropolitan Line and is situated just under one mile from Vicarage Road. However overland trains from London normally have a shorter journey time

Quite like the look of that lineup, with one exception of course. If Sandro is fit i would play him for 60 mins, he's going to need the match time to get back into it. His services might be required in the new future.

I thought Sandro was out for a few more weeks? Agreed though if he is close to match fit would definitely hope we give him a run out

I think that lineup is spot on.

I'd aslo keep Bale or Lennon on the bench as insurance. Possibly even Modric.

Only realised now our game is one Friday evening - good viewing after supper

Last edited:
I thought Sandro was out for a few more weeks? Agreed though if he is close to match fit would definitely hope we give him a run out

If he's not 100% then he's not worth risking, if they don't think he'd last an hour at least have him on the bench, if we're 3-0 up after 60 minutes it's not like he has to do much...

Putting Dos Santos in the shop window is good, but currently i can't see him leaving before the end of the month... There has been interest, but unless it's a rushed through transfer deadline thing i think we'll be stuck with him until the summer...

I want us to take this seriously, we have a great chance of winning it this year and I'll be gutted if we put out a duff team and get knocked out.

Looking forward to this game. Bit wierd being on a Friday and all.

I can't really argue with your team selection, it's just annoying we don't have a young up and coming rough around the edges striker who looks upon these games as a real chance to impress, I'd rather give Bostock/Ceballos/Carroll (whoever has been showing determination in training/XI matches) a shot in playing behind the striker than gifting Pav another opportunity, he has had too many and put too little effort in.

Decent lineup, should be enough to carry us through.

A good cup run could raise spirits/fans even more and help our league run as well.

I want us to take this seriously, we have a great chance of winning it this year and I'll be gutted if we put out a duff team and get knocked out.

This.

We have fudge all chance of winning the league now.
We could play a second string team in the league now and still stroll to champion's league qualification.

This.

We have fudge all chance of winning the league now.
We could play a second string team in the league now and still stroll to champion's league qualification.

You have got to be kidding.. when blackburn and swansea can get results against man united and arsenal I think playing a second string team for the rest of the season would result in us coming about seventh, after pool Saudi Sportswashing Machine arsenal and chelsea...

I don't even understand how this arrogance is justified in any shape or form...

Back