• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

~ OMT ~ TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR FC v Liverpool FC ~ THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL ~ 2019 ~

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
He wanted to move three or four on last summer and couldn't. We've paid the price this season.

I’m not saying that’s not the case, and again it’s hindsight, but he didn’t have to start Kane or Alli tonight, Moura and Lamela were available.

You lose a game like that in those circumstances people are going to Monday morning quarterback.

I love you all. You are all loved. The best of night in difficult circumstances to every one of you.
There is no easy way to lose a game of this magnitude. Get hammered and we’ve been hammered and lose. Do what happened today when it was there for the taking, we still lose. Lose in a thrilling game where both teams play well, we still lose. Yes, I’d rather we’d played our best, put away a couple of those half chances, had better control (Son) to create more chances. But we didn’t. So we re-group, trust in the management structure that has seen us play in the CL for several years and progress to the biggest game in club football (and disappoint in the end).

Lots of people saying Kane shouldn’t have started. The old crystal ball must have a fair few sets of finger prints on it!
You probably have to take the chance with him, but he was fairly obviously completely ineffective throughout, and yet still completed the game.

Will have been said already, but really disappointing to lose like that. Liverpool weren't any good, but they didn't have to be. Obviously it's great to even reach this final, we all remember when that would've seemed utterly impossible, but such a good chance to do something extraordinary and it was all just a bit insipid.

gonad*s to it all.

It was a penalty - unlucky but with his arm out like that he’s inviting it. Having said that I’m not sure all refs would have given it, especially that early In the game. Unfortunately we didn’t have one of those refs.
No corruption. Just brick bad luck.

So the ball bouncing off of his arm completely unintentionally is the same as if he went in from behind and two footed challenge?

I dunno if it's just me feeling depressed after the result/performance, but to me it feels like the end of this team rather than the start of something big. I think we will be re-building rather than going to the next level.
And we will see if Poch can rebuild - I think he can - and take us to even greater heights (winning the Carabao Cup).

You probably have to take the chance with him, but he was fairly obviously completely ineffective throughout, and yet still completed the game.

Will have been said already, but really disappointing to lose like that. Liverpool weren't any good, but they didn't have to be. Obviously it's great to even reach this final, we all remember when that would've seemed utterly impossible, but such a good chance to do something extraordinary and it was all just a bit insipid.

gonad*s to it all.
Agreed. Kane didn’t have great service either, and we reverted to our league form from the last third of the season.

Lots of people saying Kane shouldn’t have started. The old crystal ball must have a fair few sets of finger prints on it!

How many matches do you watch, when has Kane ever came back and put in a good performance and not just done his best Llorente impersonation for the first two or three games.

It wasn’t rocket science to predict he would perform like that, if Llorente started he would have been slated for his lack of movement and how it effected the rest of the team.

We lost 20 games this season. How we came fourth and got CL and also managed to fluke our way to this final is quite astonishing.
Did we fluke our way to the final? I don’t remember us getting a ton of luck (which some say doesn’t exist in football). The Llorente goal against Blood Soaked Oil was not a handball, Aguero was offside and we scored many later goals to stave off defeat. That sound like winning mental...

I’m not saying that’s not the case, and again it’s hindsight, but he didn’t have to start Kane or Alli tonight, Moura and Lamela were available.

You lose a game like that in those circumstances people are going to Monday morning quarterback.

I thought that Dele did most things right, it just didn't come off

I dunno if it's just me feeling depressed after the result/performance, but to me it feels like the end of this team rather than the start of something big. I think we will be re-building rather than going to the next level.

I think we are desperate for it and I trust Levy and Poch to move us forward again.

Being a CL contender needs to be the new baseline.

Did we fluke our way to the final? I don’t remember us getting a ton of luck (which some say doesn’t exist in football). The Llorente goal against Blood Soaked Oil was not a handball, Aguero was offside and we scored many later goals to stave off defeat. That sound like winning mental...

I agree. If it was a Ferguson United side that had had our CL run we'd all be talking about how mentally tough they are.

gonad*s to it all.

I agree entirely. I said after half hour Kane getting nothing going down the middle. The gamble would have been for Poch to go Llorente and Kane at HT and go direct. Poch is too patient for that.

My post above was merely for the amount of Harry Hindsight’s popping up.

I agree entirely. I said after half hour Kane getting nothing going down the middle. The gamble would have been for Poch to go Llorente and Kane at HT and go direct. Poch is too patient for that.

My post above was merely for the amount of Harry Hindsight’s popping up.

I think that it is a little tough to call out Poch in our second half performances in the CL this season. He's got it mostly right.

Pretty sure the new stricter rule started 1st June. I.e today. Think Mane deliberately aimed at Sissokos arm, but then he has every right to exploit a dumb rule.
Oh he totally did. Schemey but smart none the less. Wonder how often we will see that next season being pulled back and awarded bt VAR

I thought that Dele did most things right, it just didn't come off

Which is the story of his season.

It’s not the decision itself, it’s the way the decision was made, which we obviously will never know, I just feel with Poch that his decisions are not always based on hard data, which makes me quick to question when things go wrong.

I'd honestly be surprised if Poch has the energy for that. He's done what he can with the coppers in our pockets but ultimately it's Levy who has to open his chequebook, or realize that he can't take the club further in this era of financial footie.

It was a clear pen, Mane was smart to earn it.

Why we didn’t try it down the other end makes me mad, surely we coach that?

I didn’t think the ref was an issue at all, we lost because we played like a fudging pub team at 9am on a Sunday.

For umpteenth time this season, we beat ourselves.
I’ve beaten myself way more than umpteen times this season.

It was amazing that we got to the final. Beat City over 2 legs. 3 down against Ajax. Drawing away at Barca. Our run ran out tonight. We played ok. But not well enough. I don't think we quite deserved the win, would have been awesome to get it though, and we were close-ish. No pen, Son, Alli, Eriksen take one of those chances....

I think we have to step back. Look at how we become more clinical unfront and how we improve the team. Agre with @milo a new RB is essential. Followed by a CM and a forward. Maybe a CM is more important than we think. Winks is the only passing midfielder we have and he's injured a lot. Think a real presence in the middle who can pass and dribble might give us more of a spine. Then around that a better RB and another (maybe older) forward would help us. Someone who is over 25 and can bring more cool in attack.

Back