• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Spurs v Aston Villa ***

This is not really the time to decide on prioritites between the league and cups. We could easily prioritize the cups now and get knocked out in the first round of the EL knockout stage if we get a tough draw. We could equally go on a poor run and be out of the CL place competition by February.

We have to do a bit of everything and see what pans out come January/February. Then we can think about making priorities. At least we won't have quite as packed a fixture list as last season.

Agree. And it is not really that taxing this year.

The EL group stage will be done by early December and put to bed til middle of Feb.
The FA cup will kick in in January but a few of those rounds are on a Saturday.
Try to avoid replays and get a few of our internationals shy off a few friendly trips, little bit of sensible rotation by Poch (remember Mason Bentaleb Son Njie have hardly had a season yet), and land some back up to Kane in Jan.

Simples.

I understand.

It just seems to me that all of our last 4 managers have unnecessarily neglected the cups, as in the end we always finish 5th or 6th (depending how crisis-y Liverpool are). We aren't close to the Sky 4, and we are well above the rest. We're really just in a mini-league with Liverpool, which matters little unless there's 2 EL places go to the cups and only 1 for 5th.

I'm a huge Poch fan, but the three things he's done that disappoint me the most was not playing strong enough teams against Leicester in the FA (Kane and Eriksen rested), Fiorentina away in EL (Kane, Mason and Walker rested) and Ar5ena1 in the LC (Vorm!!!). I genuinely think we would have been in with a chance of winning 2-3 pieces of silverware.

Are you conveniently forgetting that we had the ultimate match to win a trophy (i.e. the LEAGUE CUP FINAL) barely 3 days afterwards???
Or are you saying you would you have preferred Poch to rotate in that cup match (a Wembey FINAL) rather than the EL match a few days previously??o_O

I understand.

It just seems to me that all of our last 4 managers have unnecessarily neglected the cups, as in the end we always finish 5th or 6th (depending how crisis-y Liverpool are). We aren't close to the Sky 4, and we are well above the rest. We're really just in a mini-league with Liverpool, which matters little unless there's 2 EL places go to the cups and only 1 for 5th.

I'm a huge Poch fan, but the three things he's done that disappoint me the most was not playing strong enough teams against Leicester in the FA (Kane and Eriksen rested), Fiorentina away in EL (Kane, Mason and Walker rested) and Ar5ena1 in the LC (Vorm!!!). I genuinely think we would have been in with a chance of winning 2-3 pieces of silverware.

This is getting away from the initial point I took exception to - which was you saying that we won't finish above Chelsea because they will spend money in Jan to ensure that won't happen, so why try - which is totally different to what you are now saying.

Agree with that - however i don't agree with giving up on the league at this stage of the season to focus on the cup competitions as Gutterboy seems to be suggesting

It is a ludicrous suggestion. You need a big slice of luck to win a cup that makes betting the house on it absurd. In a one off game you are always an individual mistake or a poor penalty decision away from being knocked out.

I am all for rotating our players to put out strong teams in all of the competitions and that is what Poch appears to be doing.

I would not prioritise a cup though until you got within touching distance of the final. That is especially true this season when the league is wide open and we are unbeaten in it since the first game of the season.

I'd love a cup. That's what football always had and always will about. Finishing 4th has become to much of a be all and end all in English football. If you're one of Sky's favourites then you've done well and earned a 'gold star', if not then you won't get so much as a mention for the rest of eternity.

But more than winning a cup I want a team that can win cups regularly and winning the League Cup, FA Cup or Europa League won't help us achieve that but finishing fourth will. Even if all it achieves is paying off 1/20th of what the new stadium will cost us it will have helped us a great deal in the grand scheme of things.

In my opinion what we have now is a young team who are capable of becoming Champions League regulars with a little bit of tweaking and a lot of stability over the next decade and after that, if all goes well, we can focus on picking up a few of what footballs always been about. In the mean time we need to play the game the broadcasters want us to and place in the top four consistently. Without that there are no long term aspirations.

It is a ludicrous suggestion. You need a big slice of luck to win a cup that makes betting the house on it absurd. In a one off game you are always an individual mistake or a poor penalty decision away from being knocked out.

I am all for rotating our players to put out strong teams in all of the competitions and that is what Poch appears to be doing.

I would not prioritise a cup though until you got within touching distance of the final. That is especially true this season when the league is wide open and we are unbeaten in it since the first game of the season.

100%

Bugger... you lot are too quick off the mark. I head off to Italy for a few days with the missus, and someone does the OMT weeks before the match.. I wanted this one as we are nailed on for the win. Bet your mortgage, line up some goon scum avatar for me if I'm wrong but this is three points for sure. And why the absolute confidence? Because I've got tickets for me and number 1 son (aka Lucky Luke) who is on an 11 match unbeaten run... we will win this game easily... there will be no dead cat bounce, we are on the up and pushing for honours this season!!!

Mr Positivity has spoken :)

^we are nailed into win because I should being going to this but can't because they moved it Monday. This will be one of those "were you at?" Games that go down in history.

Bugger... you lot are too quick off the mark. I head off to Italy for a few days with the missus, and someone does the OMT weeks before the match.. I wanted this one as we are nailed on for the win. Bet your mortgage, line up some goon scum avatar for me if I'm wrong but this is three points for sure. And why the absolute confidence? Because I've got tickets for me and number 1 son (aka Lucky Luke) who is on an 11 match unbeaten run... we will win this game easily... there will be no dead cat bounce, we are on the up and pushing for honours this season!!!

Mr Positivity has spoken :)

You can't relax at home, you have to go flying? :oops:

This is one of those games...old Spurs would find a way to rooster it up somehow but hopefully new Spurs is more incisive. Whoever Villa's manager is, they will defend and look to break on the counter....hopefully we will stuff em, as whenever I've been to the Lane recently, we have huffed and puffed and I'm well overdue a "Premier League....you're having a laugh" chant.

Ultimately we are 3/1 ish for top 4, 20/1 to win the Europa. 14/1 to win the FA Cup.
I don't think Poch is capable of motivating our first players to perform in a competition they have no interest in. Or motivate our second string to turn up and play in a clearly second string side. I dont think many managers are capable of this.
Players in other countries teams care more about playing in the Europa against us and getting one over on us.

-----------------------Lloris--------------------

Walker--Alderweireld--Vertonghen--Rose

-----------------Dier-----Mason---------------

Lamela--------------Alli---------------Eriksen

----------------------Kane----------------------

Really hard on Dembele. I just think Alli is so positive that he is always looking to make things happen. We have options, I like the combination of Dier and Mason. So tenacious and they set the tone. N'Jie and Dembele definitely worth a shout. Perhaps play both v Anderlecht.

Ultimately we are 3/1 ish for top 4, 20/1 to win the Europa. 14/1 to win the FA Cup.
I don't think Poch is capable of motivating our first players to perform in a competition they have no interest in. Or motivate our second string to turn up and play in a clearly second string side. I dont think many managers are capable of this.
Players in other countries teams care more about playing in the Europa against us and getting one over on us.

Good point, just because Sky/Bt/BBC think we are not a big team we are a "name" in Europe and many of the teams we play in the EL see us as a big scalp.

My original post still stands, just need to beware of the sacked manager performance boost instead of Dimmy's wrath.

I would go for:

------------------------------Hugo-------------------------------

Walker----Alderweireld----Vertonghen------Davies

--------------------------Dier-----Mason----------------------

Lamela-----------------Dembele---------------Eriksen

------------------------------Kane-------------------------------

I think Alli could use a rest and Dembele is in terrific form, so I'd keep him in. Plus a midfield trio of Dier, Mason and The Moose should absolutely dominate possession.

I'd also be tempted to play N'Jie on the left and move Eriksen central, but think Clinton still needs to continue making strong cameo performances before he gets a chance starting.

COYS!

Last edited:
Time running out for them to have a new manager in place. Looks like Kevin McDonald will be Caretaker Manager for this

Back