• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT: Mighty Spurs vs Big Oil

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Am I right that xG only takes into consideration the position of the ball? (i.e. not the position of defenders, goal keeper etc.)

Think it's more a case that several of their chances were more difficult than the xG given.

Am I right that xG only takes into consideration the position of the ball? (i.e. not the position of defenders, goal keeper etc.)

Think it's more a case that several of their chances were more difficult than the xG given.

A penalty adds a fair bit to xG as well I think.

Or weather, location (e.g home or away) or timing in the game

...chances, I'll give you that.

But still it doesn't matter, because it IS absolutely all about taking them and nothing else.

Here's a slogan for you. Its not the number of chances you make, its the number you take.

How many times do you see a team miss chance after chance and lose 0-1 to a lesser team that's under siege yet nevertheless happens to have the one player with the skill or nous to unlock the door?

Happens all the time, hence why it renders the number of chances you create irrelevant.
Actually it doesn't. You've provided the perfect example of why we use statistics.

The human mind is incredibly poor at objective analysis. Our brains have evolved specifically not to do that and to apply our own subjective analysis both on the way in and out of memory. So we have hard data instead to rely on. Results that go wildly against xG are fairly few and far between, they don't happen much of the time, but our brains remember the outliers and we convince ourselves that it's normal. So we use xG to analyse events against an aggregate set of data to show that in most cases (but not all) a match would have turned out a certain way based on the chances created.

Actually it doesn't. You've provided the perfect example of why we use statistics.

The human mind is incredibly poor at objective analysis. Our brains have evolved specifically not to do that and to apply our own subjective analysis both on the way in and out of memory. So we have hard data instead to rely on. Results that go wildly against xG are fairly few and far between, they don't happen much of the time, but our brains remember the outliers and we convince ourselves that it's normal. So we use xG to analyse events against an aggregate set of data to show that in most cases (but not all) a match would have turned out a certain way based on the chances created.

but xG is an ever evolving number itself and it gets more accurate in theory with more games

but xG is an ever evolving number itself and it gets more accurate in theory with more games
That's true, although I think the dataset is large enough now that it will be tweaks made by the like of Michael Caley that will make the real gains.

Maybe I'm a bit of a dinosaur but to me the xG things is just a stat for the sake of it. I doubt even 10% of people or pundits who quote it know the relevant inputs in the remotest amount of detail and it provokes a lot of pointless conversation

Maybe I'm a bit of a dinosaur but to me the xG things is just a stat for the sake of it. I doubt even 10% of people or pundits who quote it know the relevant inputs in the remotest amount of detail and it provokes a lot of pointless conversation
Stupid people talking about complex concepts is certainly a pointless conversation.

That's why the idea of having ex-footballers talk for a living is way past its sell-by date.

the ball didn’t go out of play
The ref called it back with the whistle why city had the ball in defence

This is literally a fudging disaster waiting to happen. Waiting for ball to go out of play or "neutral zone" area is basically inciting a riot.

What happens if with two minutes to go, with a relegation or championship on the line, yesterdays scenario happens and Spurs had run up the other side and scored? We are sitting here and saying the ref would cancel Spur's legitimate goal and go back to a fudging penalty 2+ minutes before and totally fudge the result of the game? and how do we expect 60k+ fans to react in a stadium?

I really don't know who the fudge they pay to come up with this brick

I watched the first half when I got in last night and yes, the commentators were saying that the VAR was waiting for a break in play to give its verdict (or to check, not sure which).
That’s exactly what the said
They we’re wrong though
I was at the game and assumed an offside had been called but nope, nothing

This is literally a fudging disaster waiting to happen. Waiting for ball to go out of play or "neutral zone" area is basically inciting a riot.

What happens if with two minutes to go, with a relegation or championship on the line, yesterdays scenario happens and Spurs had run up the other side and scored? We are sitting here and saying the ref would cancel Spur's legitimate goal and go back to a fudging penalty 2+ minutes before and totally fudge the result of the game? and how do we expect 60k+ fans to react in a stadium?

I really don't know who the fudge they pay to come up with this brick
That’s exactly what would happen
It happened in Germany I believe

Back