• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT: Mighty Spurs vs Big Oil

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Never really got behind our defence? They had 14 shots on target, 1 off the post, 1 off the bar and a penalty :confused:

Yes but in front of defense mostly .. I can recall perhaps two occasions where they were able to break and be close to 1:1 type odds, most of those 14 shots were with banks of defenders in front of them or closing them down.

Outside of Aquero's off the post, what was a really great chance for them?

Goals are at the end of the day all that matters, of course, but xG help shed some light, gives a bit of background information behind the numbers, that's all. We've been lucky against City this season, we've taken our few relatively poor chances, and they've really squandered a hatful of good ones (how often do you see Aguero miss the one from two feet out in the first half, for instance?).
I get what you're saying but at the end of the day xG really is totally irrelevant.

Its all about sticking the ball in the back of the net and nothing else.

Sure they had multiple chances yet still they failed to score, so you have to ask the question why? The answer is quite simple: none of their attempts were good enough.

Everything else is just chaff.

I get what you're saying but at the end of the day xG really is totally irrelevant.

Its all about sticking the ball in the back of the net and nothing else.

Sure they had multiple chances yet still they failed to score, so you have to ask the question why? The answer is quite simple: none of their attempts were good enough.

Everything else is just chaff.

This .. other than Aquero against post, what was a easy chance for them?

Yes but in front of defense mostly .. I can recall perhaps two occasions where they were able to break and be close to 1:1 type odds, most of those 14 shots were with banks of defenders in front of them or closing them down.

Outside of Aquero's off the post, what was a really great chance for them?
Aguero from 1 meters, Sterling squaring to Gundogan with an awful pass for an open goal tap in springs to mind....

I'm still bouncing even a hour after getting home. After scrolling through this thread I can truly write it displays all the terrible things about the attitude of modern "sports fans" everyone is either brick or brilliant. We rode our luck at times but anyone who thought before a ball was kicked that midfield would be able to get anything out of that game would have been more deluded than any other fans they chose to pick. The team stuck in there and worked hard even when things weren't going well and got their rewards, the armchair fans might want to rip them apart but I can say that anyone who was there was proud of all the players.

City played today like they did vs United
A team with no guile in midfield other than De Bruyne and an attack that is brilliant but predictable
Then you look at the defence and it’s weak. how can a team that has spend a billion only have one decent CB

we played like a team that knew how to defend. Limited city to average chances and maximised their errors

most classic mourinho

Never really got behind our defence? They had 14 shots on target, 1 off the post, 1 off the bar and a penalty :confused:
Hugo made one great save from the cross from De Bruyne, the penalty save and the the one his foot put on the post

shot stats mean nothing

how many games have we dominated stat wise and took away nothing... loads

Delighted with the 3 points today. Got lucky to say the least but actually thought we defended well in spite of Aurier’s recklessness and Sanchez’s standard standard sub-par distribution.

Lo Celso and Ndombele have already shown how important and how good they are for us. The team should be built around them next season assuming we can keep both players fit.

Props to Lloris for the penalty save.

Great tekkers by Bergwijn for the goal!

The other thing that TV may not have shown
City’s corner fork which they had Zivcenko sent off - for once we had a man up top. Steve. Stayed between our area and the half way and their players didn’t know what to d

That is pure Mou. It’s something I’ve never understood us not doing before

I swear we could have 100 shots against us in a game and some people on here still won’t admit we were lucky and were outplayed
You earn your luck
You work hard
Your limit the equality of their opportunities
You hope the ref can be fair and reasonable... he wasn’t bad despite what some will say

and you take your chances when they come

That is fudging brilliant. There is a lot I've found unpleasant about Mourinho since he came back to English football but it's that sort of thing that encapsulates how funny, hypocritical, calculated and how much of a win at all costs meteorology he has. Love it.
I love Jose. Football is about entertainment and he’s gold. I have never understood why fans get so hot under the collar about him, so much of it is tongue in cheek.

Today was a classic performance from a Mourinho team. Very little possession, limited shots on target, absorb pressure then hit the team on the break and come away with a victory. A lot went well for him in the last transfer window, better imo than for Poch in the summer; he got rid of both Eriksen and Rose and was able to bring in players to build on the fantastic players we brought in the summer. My only sadness is that Poch didn’t get the opportunity to do the rebuild.

That could be a big confidence builder. Hopefully Snachez can build on that, show increasing maturity, and be confident in himself. Once his head goes he's all over the place. Yet even then he has all the tools and plays pretty well. The ability is there he just needs to feel it. Focus and be confident in himself.

Hopefully it provides the team with the confidence to play the ball more, to back themselves to work the ball. In the first 15 or so Lo Celso was feeding the ball through midfield but he could have done with more runners. We need to move the ball around the back with more purpose and belief too with improved movement. Practice over and over, playing it out against 14 youth players closing the first 11 down. Once it clicks - fast passing and movement - we'll be ready to control games more.

Was a day when Mourinho should feel some confidence in his methods and this team. We have goals in the team - what a finish! - and we can defend. Its a foundation. Now improve!! Pass the ball better, show composure.

Today was a classic performance from a Mourinho team. Very little possession, limited shots on target, absorb pressure then hit the team on the break and come away with a victory. A lot went well for him in the last transfer window, better imo than for Poch in the summer; he got rid of both Eriksen and Rose and was able to bring in players to build on the fantastic players we bought in the summer. My only sadness is that Poch didn’t get the opportunity to do the rebuild.
Poch didn’t know how to make players leave
Poch used to get Danny Rose in for chats
Poch has just gone over the like form being the manager to being a mate IMO

Jose doesn’t muck around

Back