• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Video Game Thread ***

Just started Bulletstorm... Downloaded this on Steam a while back but never got round to playing it. It's actually suprisingly fun, fast paced and refreshing fro an FPS. It has a great original mechanic where you can use a leash to pull enemies to you (Mortal Kombat's Scorpion style) and shoot them mid air, also can kick them and shoot them mid air too. You get skill points for inventive ways you kill your foe rather than just gunning them down. These skill points can then be used to upgrade weaponry and buy ammo. Also some comedy banter and one liners between characters in a similar (but better) style to Duke Nukem

[video=youtube;3NhgZph80ko]http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=3NhgZph80ko[/video]

A really great game I'd recommend to anyone who likes FPS, Arcade style action!!

Bulletstorm was fantastic fun, but sadly a little short. From the makers of Gears of War.

The leash is brilliant, but some way through the game you get an upgrade to the Thumper. This effectively pounds the floor flinging bad guys into the air (and often impailing them on anything above)

Other fun bits with the leash
Pulling someone in front of a carnivorous plant so it gobbles them up
Pulling a flammable container next to bad guys to shoot and explode
Pulling them directly at you then kicking them into a cactus
Pulling them at you (when on a ledge) and kicking them clean over the side (good for when short on ammo!)

Sound very similar to Bionic Commando where your arm is replaced by a claw on a leash. Kind of cool, but I had to give up half way through where you have the get past this huge flooded area by swinging from lamp post to lamp post and you can't save except on checkpoints.

Bionic_Commando.jpg

Sound very similar to Bionic Commando where your arm is replaced by a claw on a leash. Kind of cool, but I had to give up half way through where you have the get past this huge flooded area by swinging from lamp post to lamp post and you can't save except on checkpoints.

Bionic_Commando.jpg

Never really gave this a proper chance after playing a short demo and being left unimpressed. Despite the fact Bionic Commando was one of my all time favourite NES games, plus really enjoyed the reboot they made for Xbox LIVE Arcade.
As for the similarities with Bulletstorm, they stop at the leash/extendable arm. Bulletsorm it is used as a weapon only, whereas Bionic Commando it was used as a means of getting around. Will probably keep a look out for a cheap copy of this tho as i never got round to playing the full game.

Almost bought Space Marine in the Steam sale today, only a tenner! BUT... I've told myself not to buy anymore games till I've waded through some of the ones i have got (i listed alot of them on the old GG thread... Over 120! Just aquired from Steam sales) unless of course it's a huge new release... Then I'll be hard pressed to resist.
But with Skyrim still to finish among some other huge games, I've got plenty to keep me occupied, especially as i only really get an hr or two a day if any time at all.

[video=youtube;6LxSGTR_oYM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LxSGTR_oYM[/video]

A briefing on how the new Syndicate will be. I'm not sold yet, but that might be because I'm not interested in co-op games.

You've got a 120 game backlog?

Admittedly alot of them are games i played and enjoyed in the past but bought in the sale to play again (Hitman collection, GTA collection, etc... Soon add up. Almost 10 games there in those 2 collections).

I'd say 30% of my catalogue are games ive not played and maybe overlooked when they originally came out due to not wanting to pay full price for them. Bulletstorm is one of those games.
But all or most of my collection i spent no more than 5-10 quid on as i got them in Steam sales... Alot of games only cost me a couple quid. Only games i paid more than 20 notes for last year was Skyrim and Deus Ex, managed to get BF3 and MW3 for bout 20 each on release day... The rest i just waited for them to come down in price. Will only buy the big blockbuster games on release.

[video=youtube;6LxSGTR_oYM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LxSGTR_oYM[/video]

A briefing on how the new Syndicate will be. I'm not sold yet, but that might be because I'm not interested in co-op games.
Meh, not my sort of thing at all. Can't stand having to play with others. Hate having to lead a character towards tank/heal etc. plus it's just a shooter, nothing like Syndicate.

One for all you shooter fans, FPS games coming 2012

[video=youtube;v5TWjN0EPOU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5TWjN0EPOU[/video]

Still not finished the first one yet.... one of my many unfinished games. Will endeavor to finish it of course before thinkin bout gettin the 2nd one

Thought I'd bump this thread agin as it's drifted a few pages back.

Recently played the demo of Kingdoms of Amallir: The Reckoning. Thought it fairly decent, reminds me alot of Fable due to it's play style and cartoonish graphics (although still gorey). Was released recently so well worth a rental if you own a console... For PC owners, I'm sure there's other means to try before you buy. Like I said it's alot like Fable but probably more centred round the hack'n'slash aspect rather than the role play side. Graphics are good, in a cartoony kind of way, and the controls feel decent enough too (using an Xbox pad on the PC)

[video=youtube;OIkYJtLMEjo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIkYJtLMEjo[/video]

Anyone know whether the new final fantasy is worth a try? I've played quite a few, though to be honest anything after nine has been particularly disappointing... Tried 13 for a while, but it seemed extremely short, not really long enough to get into it. I guess this is why they have released a 13-2, though why they couldn't wait until they had both of them and release them as a single game i don't know...

Sigh, sometimes i wonder why games aren't as good as they used to be... I realise that i'm probably just picking the wrong games. :p

Anyone know whether the new final fantasy is worth a try? I've played quite a few, though to be honest anything after nine has been particularly disappointing... Tried 13 for a while, but it seemed extremely short, not really long enough to get into it. I guess this is why they have released a 13-2, though why they couldn't wait until they had both of them and release them as a single game i don't know...

Sigh, sometimes i wonder why games aren't as good as they used to be... I realise that i'm probably just picking the wrong games. :p

Are you talking about FF14, the multiplayer one? If so, it's dogbrick from all the reviews I read. I actually played FF11, the other MMO and it was so repetitive, but also so difficult to find others to play with.
I've only beat 7-9, 10 was fun from the bits I tried, but the others after that were meh. The plots just became more and more ridiculous, or maybe it was that I was much younger when I first picked up FF7... no, FF13 had brick characters that I wanted to drown, on top of the annoying bubbly-giggly voice-acting.

Are you talking about FF14, the multiplayer one? If so, it's dogbrick from all the reviews I read. I actually played FF11, the other MMO and it was so repetitive, but also so difficult to find others to play with.
I've only beat 7-9, 10 was fun from the bits I tried, but the others after that were meh. The plots just became more and more ridiculous, or maybe it was that I was much younger when I first picked up FF7... no, FF13 had brick characters that I wanted to drown, on top of the annoying bubbly-giggly voice-acting.

http://www.finalfantasy13-2game.com/

Nah i meant that one, 13-2... because the other time they made a sequel to an FF game is was definitely an unquestionable success...

:tumbleweed:

7-9 are pretty much the best games i have ever played. In recent years they have tried to overcomplicate it though. The Voices aren't great, i think they detract from the believability of the characters, because they all just sounds like whiney bitches.

http://www.finalfantasy13-2game.com/

Nah i meant that one, 13-2... because the other time they made a sequel to an FF game is was definitely an unquestionable success...

:tumbleweed:

7-9 are pretty much the best games i have ever played. In recent years they have tried to overcomplicate it though. The Voices aren't great, i think they detract from the believability of the characters, because they all just sounds like whiney bitches.

FF7 is my standout candidate for 'best game ever made'. I keep hearing rumors about a remake, but I won't hold my breath. I thoroughly enjoyed 8 and 9, and I think you're spot-on about how the voice-acting ruins the characters.
I don't know anything about 13-2, but I feel like Square-Enix has gone downhill after the merger (I missed when it used to be Squaresoft).

What I have noticed is the adventure game has been making a comeback. Have any of you ever played Maniac Mansion, Day of the Tentacle, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, or Monkey Island? Those were all classics back in the day, but there have been a few new ones cropping up recently.

FF7 is my standout candidate for 'best game ever made'. I keep hearing rumors about a remake, but I won't hold my breath. I thoroughly enjoyed 8 and 9, and I think you're spot-on about how the voice-acting ruins the characters.
I don't know anything about 13-2, but I feel like Square-Enix has gone downhill after the merger (I missed when it used to be Squaresoft).

What I have noticed is the adventure game has been making a comeback. Have any of you ever played Maniac Mansion, Day of the Tentacle, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, or Monkey Island? Those were all classics back in the day, but there have been a few new ones cropping up recently.

I believe the ff7 remake rumour was due to the graphical update of the opening scene, which was just done in an attempt to show off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuukjlGiodc

I'm split on whether they should remake the entire thing or not, on the one hand it could be the most amazing thing ever.. but on the other (and far far more likely) hand they could ruin my memories of it... They would probably make millions and millions either way...

Monkey Island was one i remember well, i spent many a night bashing my head against a wall figuratively speaking, but the feeling that you got when you actually succeeded and completed something you had been working on for many days was amazing. I have not seen a game that compares in recent years, i guess the Lara Croft series is sort of a puzzle game at times, but i watched my mate played it and basically pointed out everything he had to do whenever he got stuck... Didn't look challenging at all, unless you wanted to go back and collect every single piece of everything in the entire game, which would bore the heck out of me...

Plus most rpg/shooting games these days i find are just throw yourself at the situation multiple times and if your lucky you might get through, instead of having to think about it. It frustrates me to no end.

I believe the ff7 remake rumour was due to the graphical update of the opening scene, which was just done in an attempt to show off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuukjlGiodc

I'm split on whether they should remake the entire thing or not, on the one hand it could be the most amazing thing ever.. but on the other (and far far more likely) hand they could ruin my memories of it... They would probably make millions and millions either way...

Monkey Island was one i remember well, i spent many a night bashing my head against a wall figuratively speaking, but the feeling that you got when you actually succeeded and completed something you had been working on for many days was amazing. I have not seen a game that compares in recent years, i guess the Lara Croft series is sort of a puzzle game at times, but i watched my mate played it and basically pointed out everything he had to do whenever he got stuck... Didn't look challenging at all, unless you wanted to go back and collect every single piece of everything in the entire game, which would bore the heck out of me...

Plus most rpg/shooting games these days i find are just throw yourself at the situation multiple times and if your lucky you might get through, instead of having to think about it. It frustrates me to no end.

A decent adventure game that came out recently is called Gemini Rue. It got an 82 on metacritic, but I haven't played it so i can't offer up my own opinions. I have played Machinarium, which was a pretty fun adventure game with a few challenging puzzles. Those old-school adventure games were before the days of the internet, and I remember the accompanying booklets including hint & tip hotlines that you had to call (and pay for) if you got stuck.

The only puzzle-y shooter I can think of in recent times is Portal.

Telltale Games do episodic games of various franchises. Sam&Max, Wallace&Gromit, King's Quest, Law&Order, CSI, Monkey Island and others. Only tried Sam&Max, puzzles combined with hilarious dialogue. One season had six episodes.

Back