• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official TV Thread ***

That was why it was poor; you can't have that sort of set-up and then keep both the leads for the next season. See also Handmaid's Tale.

One of the reasons that Maniac, on Netflix currently, is worth watching is that it was explicitly designed to be a one off.
its based on a series of books, I am pretty sure Eve is in at least a few and they are loosely following them.

How far into Maniac are you? Reviews seem to say good first few and then crap and wondered how far you are in.

How far into Maniac are you? Reviews seem to say good first few and then crap and wondered how far you are in.

We binged it over a few days, so finished it a while ago. I certainly wouldn't say it becomes crap. I suppose that when it starts it could go in various directions, and by the middle section it has shown its hand, at which point you either like it or you don't.

We binged it over a few days, so finished it a while ago. I certainly wouldn't say it becomes crap. I suppose that when it starts it could go in various directions, and by the middle section it has shown its hand, at which point you either like it or you don't.
Cool - will give it a go then.

My workplace is the subject of a documentary tonight.
BBC2 at 21.00. The Debt Saviours.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...-tv-have-i-got-news-for-you-the-debt-saviours

Phillip Wood (Chasing Dad, Rehab) brings his characteristic brand of intimacy to his latest documentary, this time looking at debt-counselling charity Christians Against Poverty and its founder John Kirkby. But are the charity’s staff, the film asks, motivated “debt coaches” or Big gay bears?

That's quite the auto-correct...

It's been an interesting experience being the subject of a documentary and observing the processes and then the finished product when an agenda comes out.
The film-maker was interviewed (with John Kirkby) on 5Live this afternoon and it became a bit more apparent what he'd hoped to get out of it.

Last edited:
Weekend telly news: Chibnall, who has written some of the blandest Doctor Who ever (and whose second season of Broadchurch was laugh-out-loud, boot-through-the-telly bad) has proved that he was the worst choice of showrunner imaginable. Apparently Moffat's regime was "fan service" - ie, appealed to people who liked the programme - and what Doctor Who needed was to be repitched somewhere between the Sarah Jane Adventures and Rentaghost, to attract six-year-olds. So we got just that, only with lots of tonally inappropriate deaths.

And commentators are falling over themselves to ignore the crap script and crap direction, because they might not look woke. Anyone who dares to suggest that Whittaker is a crap doctor is called a "broflake". Well, gonad*s. She just isn't alien enough. I'm not saying they needed someone as blatantly extraterrestrial as Tilda Swinton (although she would have been great). But loads of actresses could have conveyed the oddness of the Doctor, without mugging it up, much as Tennant was still unearthly despite reining back Ecclestone's inhuman prickliness. And (as when Michelle Gomez played the Master, very successfully) they could have done so in a way that was gendered. Whittaker's "ooh, am I a woman? hadn't noticed" makes the sex change almost irrelevant. Whittaker's not just too mumsy to be a Time Lord, she's too down-to-earth. She doesn't have plausible arrogance. Utterly the wrong choice.

Last edited:
I'm undecided. I thought she was OK but it will take another episode to make up my mind.
The role had a bit of quirkiness - but it also seemed like she was trying too hard to be quirky.
The storyline last night was rubbish though.

I usually a fan of Doctor Who but seeing that muppet Bradley Walsh in it puts me right off. IF he is going to be a regular companion i may pass on the rest of the series.

I usually a fan of Doctor Who but seeing that muppet Bradley Walsh in it puts me right off. IF he is going to be a regular companion i may pass on the rest of the series.

He is.

He was the first to be announced, so the least likely to be returned to his home planet/leave to do good on a leper colony/have his memory wiped/be cyberconverted/knob a fake doctor in an alternate universe any time soon.

He's just a brick Wilfred Mott, though.

Quite enjoying Snowfall. Have to find a site I can binge half the series. Was up till 3 smashing through it :)

Goldblum would make a very poor Doctor. I’m not saying he couldn’t find work on British TV. He’d be good light relief on Corrie. A new, zany, American barman at the Rovers, say, for a six-month run. Or he could present the Crystal Maze. But the emotional depth and corridor running demanded of the Doctor would be well beyond him.

Goldblum would make a very poor Doctor. I’m not saying he couldn’t find work on British TV. He’d be good light relief on Corrie. A new, zany, American barman at the Rovers, say, for a six-month run. Or he could present the Crystal Maze. But the emotional depth and corridor running demanded of the Doctor would be well beyond him.

tenor.gif

Countdown. He’d be equal to that. He could go head to head with Nick Hewer in the affability stakes, even if he’s not in Richard Whitely’s league. If I’d booked the 4:43 slot for a stairlift ad, I’d trust Goldblum to keep the viewers from straying.

Back