• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Film Thread ***

Is that just because you generally don't like subtitled films?

Never said I disliked subtitled films,i more than likely wouldn't have bothered watching it in the first place if i didn't like them.
there seems to be a bit of snobbery towards people who don't give subtitled films a chance (although I'm not suggesting this is the case here) but i just personally find reading subtitles while trying to watch a film is distracting. I've seen some good subtitled films in the past but sometimes feel the need to watch them more than once incase I've missed something

Last edited:
Never said I disliked subtitled films,i more than likely wouldn't have bothered watching it in the first place if i didn't like them.
there seems to be a bit of snobbery towards people who don't give subtitled films a chance (although I'm not suggesting this is the case here) but i just personally find reading subtitles while trying to watch a film is distracting. I've seen some good subtitled films in the past but sometimes feel the need to watch them more than once incase I've missed something

Fair enough, I know what you mean about needing to watch them twice sometimes, missing little nuances because you're scrambling to take the dialogue in. In my opinion it's a worthwhile sacrifice to be able to enjoy films from all over the place, I quite enjoy listening to languages I don't understand to be honest

War Horse is well worth seeing. Excellent battle scenes as you would expect from Spielberg. Don't know why some are criticising Spielberg for the film being too sentimental, after all it is based on a book, did they want him to change the story?

The Artist is a very good film. Just don't go into it expecting to be blown away. The problem with the oscar nominated films as they are all overhyped, then people get disappointed when they go and see the films and it doesn't meet their expectations.

Subtitled films that are so good you don't mind them being subtitled include:

Come and See
The Ring
Pan's Labryrinth
Old Boy
City of GHod
REC

There's loads more but "Come and See" is the only film about war you need to see.

War Horse is well worth seeing. Excellent battle scenes as you would expect from Spielberg. Don't know why some are criticising Spielberg for the film being too sentimental, after all it is based on a book, did they want him to change the story?

The Artist is a very good film. Just don't go into it expecting to be blown away. The problem with the oscar nominated films as they are all overhyped, then people get disappointed when they go and see the films and it doesn't meet their expectations.

I haven't seen warhorse personally but it just looks so very unnecessary and overbearing to me, maybe I'm getting the wrong impression from the advert but the chiche shots of a majestic horse galloping through war is just meh to me.

on the subject of foreign movies - The Lives of Others, check it out - great movie. about a German Stasi officer and the people he is spying on - couldn't recommend it high enough

i don't understand how Liam Neeson has become such a big name actor - he's crap

Last edited:

Come and See
The Ring
Pan's Labryrinth
Old Boy
City of GHod
REC

There's loads more but "Come and See" is the only film about war you need to see.

Totally agree about Pan's Labyrinth, Oldboy and City of GHod. All 3 are fantastic movies.=D>

Some other great foreign language movies that are worth putting up with subtitles for imho:

Seven Samurai
Das Boot
Spirited Away
Jean de Florette / Manon des Sources
Downfall
Battle Royale
La Haine
Letters from Iwo Jima
The Motorcycle Diaries
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

There's a fairly recent film bout the Chinese revolution with Jackie Chan in it, i forget what it's called but it did look interesting... Subtitled of course and not Mr Chans typical slap stick type film either.

Come and See
The Ring
Pan's Labryrinth
Old Boy
City of GHod
REC

Totally agree about Pan's Labyrinth, Oldboy and City of GHod. All 3 are fantastic movies.=D>

Some other great foreign language movies that are worth putting up with subtitles for imho:

Seven Samurai
Das Boot
Spirited Away
Jean de Florette / Manon des Sources
Downfall
Battle Royale
La Haine
Letters from Iwo Jima
The Motorcycle Diaries
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Thought Le Haine was a bit overrated.

The Delicatessen

Run Lola Run

Persepolis

Princess Mononoke

Some good subtitled films there...

Off the top of my head...

Black Book

Really enjoyed that one, the lead is unbelievably sexy as well which helps.

First attempt at URL word linking thing as well \o/

Watched the Living Daylights yesterday, couldn't give a fudge what people think, Timothy Dalton may just be my favourite bond...

Great film, everything you expect from a bond film, very much unlike the Borne series wannabes you get nowadays...

Watched the Living Daylights yesterday, couldn't give a fudge what people think, Timothy Dalton may just be my favourite bond...

Great film, everything you expect from a bond film, very much unlike the Borne series wannabes you get nowadays...

During the Brosnan years Bond has changed. After they ran out of novels, it's now just another action flick with huge explosions. My favorite Bond is Roger Moore, back when they put a little bit of plot in a movie.

Back