• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Film Thread ***

Uncut Gems on Netflix got some strong reviews so thought I’d give it a go as available today.

Did not really know what to make of it. Odd film. One thing that bugged me was the constant shouting.

Saw 1917 midweek that was brilliant.

Uncut Gems on Netflix got some strong reviews so thought I’d give it a go as available today.

Did not really know what to make of it. Odd film. One thing that bugged me was the constant shouting.

Saw 1917 midweek that was brilliant.
Worth seeing or not?

My daughter stayed with us in Toronto for two weeks while she worked some effects for a theatrical production. She was telling us that post production is well underway for a new version of the sci-fi classic, Dune, based on the books by Frank Herbert, and due for release in December, 2020.

Read the book when I was younger and loved it. Then saw David Lynch's clumsy adaptation, the first movie I ever walked out of early.

But my girl lives in Montreal now, home of the new version's director, Denis Villeneuve (Blade Runner 2049, Arrival). She's in special effects and post-production work for major films and all the buzz from those in the biz is very positive. The cast looks very good. Details here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_(2020_film)

The spice must flow.

Last edited:
Watched preview of Parasite up local Cineworld last night, highly recommended.

It was good, but not great. It's been a couple of months since I saw it, so can't quite remember what it was, but there was something about it that didn't work.

Saw Terminator Dark Fate yesterday and what a load of crap. Basically a remake of T2 with a mostly female cast, bricking all over the legacy. Everything that happened in the previous films is now null and void. CGI looked incredibly dated as well. Worst part is Cameron himself wrote and produced this travesty. It's like they wrote it to fit in as many political agendas as possible, while trying to do some kind of fan service by bringing back old characters and recreating old scenes.

The one thing that bugged me was Adam Sandler's fake teeth. What was that all about? Just ludicrous close ups of MASSIVE fake teeth all the time.

Overall the film was OK but the end was a bit silly, I thought it was pretty obvious what was gonna happen

Watched the Lighthouse twice, once at the BFI. My GHod what a film

I would put WD performance miles ahead of the Joker....wow

I watched 1917 this morning and it was decent, but not as good as claimed.

There were some really incongruous moments that jolted me out of the action e.g.
alert*** the plane crashing on them, the pilot's knife was so obvious, he didn't hear 6 old trucks filled with 100 men arriving in complete silence, he was 100% exhausted yet kept running for miles, he didn't tell people his mission so they could help, he found a baby just kicking back in a cellar with no problems, as though it wouldn't be heard by soldiers and would have magic milk to drink, but most of all he was shot at 316 times and they all missed him, wtf is that all about?
It was like Batman or something, utterly stupid.

Otherwise I enjoyed it.

Last edited:
I watched 1917 this morning and it was decent, but not as good as claimed.

There were some really incongruous moments that jolted me out of the action e.g. ***spoiler alert***
the plane crashing on them, the pilot's knife was so obvious, he didn't hear 6 old trucks filled with 100 men arriving in complete silence, he was 400% exhausted yet kept running for miles, he didn't tell people his mission so they could help, he found a baby just kicking back in a cellar with no problems, as though it wouldn't be heard by soldiers and would have magic milk to drink, but most of all he was shot at 316 times and they all missed him, wtf is that all about? It was like Batman or something, utterly stupid.

Otherwise I enjoyed it.
FWIW...
[ spoiler ] but without the spaces within square brackets [/ spoiler ]

Saw this finally tonight, thought it was great, fully deserves its win.
Don't raise my expectations......was going go in cold and see this the stormy weekend just gone but none of my local cinemas had it on. Can't see it on their listings for next week either (over run by kid movies as half term).....it's the best picture Oscar winner ffs.

Don't raise my expectations......was going go in cold and see this the stormy weekend just gone but none of my local cinemas had it on. Can't see it on their listings for next week either (over run by kid movies as half term).....it's the best picture Oscar winner ffs.

i saw it at Clapham Picturehouse, I think it is widespread in their cinemas.

Looks like Cineworld / Odeon / Vue multiplexes are ramping up showings of Parasite from Friday, on the back of its Oscars wins, so hopefully something in your neck of the woods too.

Looks like Cineworld / Odeon / Vue multiplexes are ramping up showings of Parasite from Friday, on the back of its Oscars wins, so hopefully something in your neck of the woods too.
It's been on since its rlease in places a bit further afield.....Portsmouth (y'know a hotbed of foreign film highbrow theatre goers:rolleyes:) and Brighton...just can't be arsed to travel too far just for a movie.

Edit: Just looked and theyve added it to the Chich Cineworld.....thanks @SteveAWOL

Back