• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Film Thread ***

General reviews on it are that it is hilariously bad, and of course utterly pretentious as well.

A true return to form for Shayamalan, with Split being a "blip" where he made a good film for once.

Ill probably watch it anyway, decide for myself, but I wont be getting my hopes up...
I thought Split was pants, so if that’s the benchmark then I’m very very scared!!!

General reviews on it are that it is hilariously bad, and of course utterly pretentious as well.

A true return to form for Shayamalan, with Split being a "blip" where he made a good film for once.

Ill probably watch it anyway, decide for myself, but I wont be getting my hopes up...
Kermode gave it a good review -film of the week I think. Outside of horror & comedy I normally think he has a pretty good view.

I thought Split was pants, so if that’s the benchmark then I’m very very scared!!!

Its a Shyamalan movie.

Some people are really in to what he offers, and so Id suggest they would enjoy it.

Others dont see what the fuss is about, and find his films bafflingly put together.

I think either way it probably offers a good time, even if most likely you are sat there laughing at it!

Kermode gave it a good review -film of the week I think. Outside of horror & comedy I normally think he has a pretty good view.

Not really a fan of Kermodes reviews. I think he often misses the point/pretext to a lot of stuff and so judges it inappropriately.

Also he really just likes the sound of his own voice, and seems to think sounding smart is a substitute for more astute analysis.

For me, at least.

The thing I like about critics is that you can find one that suits you, and so take their word on stuff.

If he ticks the boxes for you, and liked the movie, then maybe you will to?

Watched Girl in the Spiders Web last night, was excellent, it's a soft reboot of the sequel to the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Watched Girl in the Spiders Web last night, was excellent, it's a soft reboot of the sequel to the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
I watched the Swedish original trilogy - before Noomi Rapace started getting Hollywood roles. They were excellent - really brutal in parts. Gave the remakes a skip, couldn’t see the point. Does this follow the originals or is it more tied in with the US versions?

I watched the Swedish original trilogy - before Noomi Rapace started getting Hollywood roles. They were excellent - really brutal in parts. Gave the remakes a skip, couldn’t see the point. Does this follow the originals or is it more tied in with the US versions?
Complete reboot from what I have read more borne than girl with ....

Really enjoyed Welcome To Marwen. Very different sort of movie about a man who is a talented illustrator that gets beaten to death, then revived by paramedics and can't draw anymore. But, like anyone in the visual arts, he thinks in pictures and finds a way to express himself with photographs of dolls and sets that he builds.

Robert Zemeckis turns it into a half animated, half live action movie - a true story - and it really works to tell an incredible tale of how a badly wounded man's mind works to bring him out of a very dark place.

I'm a big fan of sci-fi and have long enjoyed the amazing writing of American author Neal Stephenson. If you haven't read his work, Cryptonomicon was his breakthrough work, a compelling story set in both WWII and the near future about members of two families linked in the hunt for the German Enigma machines and, later, in the establishment of an interference-free data storage facility in the Phillipine Islands.

He also did a stunning three book series called The Baroque Trilogy which often is set in London in the 16-1700s

His latest book is good fun. It's called The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O., a fun romp about time travel and government bureaucracy.

Prior to that, he wrote an incredible epic called Seven Eves, about the moon being struck by an unknown object, breaking up into millions of small pieces that descend on earth in a centuries-long 'hard rain' that forever changes the fate of mankind. Thrilled to learn that film maker Ron Howard (Cocoon, Angels and Demons, Rush, Apollo 13, A Beautiful Mind) has begun development work to bring it to the big screen.

Also really excited to learn that Frank Herbert's iconic Dune novel is again being readied for film production by talented Canadian director Denis Villeneuve (Blade Runner 2049, Arrival, Sicario). David Lynch failed magnificently creating his version in the mid-80s and efforts to re-make it have languished until movie-making technology offered the solutions needed to make this epic story happen.

If you haven't seen the documentary Jodorovsky's Dune, I encourage you. An incredible story of an obsessed director trying to bring this challenging project to life.

Really enjoyed Welcome To Marwen. Very different sort of movie about a man who is a talented illustrator that gets beaten to death, then revived by paramedics and can't draw anymore. But, like anyone in the visual arts, he thinks in pictures and finds a way to express himself with photographs of dolls and sets that he builds.

Robert Zemeckis turns it into a half animated, half live action movie - a true story - and it really works to tell an incredible tale of how a badly wounded man's mind works to bring him out of a very dark place.

I think I saw a normal documentary about this guy. It was brilliant. Think the one I saw was called Marwencol.

What do people think about the concept of Detainment?

Supposedly re-creates the moments leading up to the murder of James Bulger and the murderers criminal interviews, based on transcripts.

Horrible that the family of the victim weren't even consulted. Not sure I could watch it.

For anyone looking for a regular movie podcast can I recommend John Campea. He has almost daily videos on YouTube in which he discusses movie news, and answers questions from viewers. He is articulate and generally sound of opinion, so even if you don’t agree, you can understand his view. I listen to the videos as a podcast at work.

What do people think about the concept of Detainment?

Supposedly re-creates the moments leading up to the murder of James Bulger and the murderers criminal interviews, based on transcripts.

Horrible that the family of the victim weren't even consulted. Not sure I could watch it.

Who the hell thinks "attempting to add some shades of grey to a case where many Britons see none" is a good idea, without first consulting the family of the victim. There are no "shades" for the family of a dead child, just black/white and predominantly black.

Sorry to say but if this had happened to one of my kids the dominant shade would be claret.

Who the hell thinks "attempting to add some shades of grey to a case where many Britons see none" is a good idea, without first consulting the family of the victim. There are no "shades" for the family of a dead child, just black/white and predominantly black.

Sorry to say but if this had happened to one of my kids the dominant shade would be claret.
Weren't they scousers? If so, they must be some kind of victim.

In all seriousness though, WTF are the film makers thinking? There is literally nothing that can add anything to give reason for their behaviour.

Weren't they scousers? If so, they must be some kind of victim.

In all seriousness though, WTF are the film makers thinking? There is literally nothing that can add anything to give reason for their behaviour.

You're spot on!

Although you're usual scouser quip is in poor taste and irrelevant in this context. :rolleyes:

Back