• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Film Thread ***

I loved Blade Runner, like you I saw it years after release, and like you there was a certain familiarity to it - but watching it I felt it was clearly the superior effort. Many of those repetitions since really dont come close to the quality of the original. And that quality really does make it stand above, even against modern standards.

I wanted to love it but I didn't as I thought the actual story was a bit weak. Films I saw (way) after the release and loved Alien, Aliens, Clockwork Orange, Laurence of Arabia - so its not that I cant appreciate, but just didn't in the case of Blade runner as it was so much about style and feeling -imho.

I totally get that, and respect your view fully.

Films are a personal experience, so theres no real right or wrong.

My post was more in agreement with your view on missing something in watching a film long after its release. I agree, sometimes movies just lack the same magic in different times/circumstances.

I like Scifi a lot - I watched the original blade runner in my 20's a couple of decades after it was released. I appreciated it a lot, especially when comparing it to other films released at that time. However just because it was so groundbreaking the impact of the visuals and setting was largely lost however as so many things since have copied the style and artistry. I thought the story was a little lacking and I appreciated it more than I liked it.

This is the same with many older classics that newer films have been inspired by- for example 2001 Space Odyssey I thought was similar in that everything that was so amazing about the film has been copied so many times that going back to watch it was almost stale. I am not explaining this as well as I would like as I know the films were huge leaps forward its just by the time I saw them they were using all the techniques I had seen many times before.

Did you watch it around the time of the release? if so perhaps this made the impact more forceful.

I watched it for the first time years after its release as well... it blew me away.... it still does.

I believe he used a lot of modeling and in-camera visual effects which to me have better longevity than CGI which looks dated within years of a film's release, as our eyes and expectations become more sophisticated.

Saw Blade Runner 2049 at the weekend and was very impressed

I fell asleep 3x during this, I'm not an action junkie but was the laborious build up really necessary, visually spectacular but an hour could easily have been cut from the running time, and while we're on disappointments, Trainspotting 2, another in a long list of sequels that should never have been made.

I think thats quite silly, to be honest. Strangely judgemental.

I assume there are many films that could apply to the same criteria that you actually like.

I see nothing wrong with an adventure, a popcorn movie, whatever genre it falls in.

One thing in the comic book movies favour is that there is a genuinely rich mythology to mine and add depth to these things, which can be really enjoyable.

The Punisher was excellent, and went to pains to not glorify its violence but also explore the effects of war time on soldiers and PTSD.

But it must be rubbish because The Punisher might have odd clothing choices...

"When I became a man, I put away childish things..."
What an incredibly boring life that must be.

When I became a man, I continued to laugh at fart jokes. When I became a man I continued to grin like a madman every time I get my car sideways. When I became a man I bought my whole family Nerf guns for Christmas and chased them around the house shooting at them. When I became a man I continued to love Star Wars, except now I have a fricking awesome setup to watch it on.

When I became a man I kept many of the fun bits of being a child, that's how I know I'm still alive.

Back