• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Film Thread ***

That said, we watched Handmaiden in an Everyman Cinema in Esher with the comfy sofas. There were presumably a few people in the audience who were in the same boat as you, including "families" :oops: There was one kid who didn't look old enough to be there (it's obviously rated an 18), but I remember a few cringeworthy moments on standard TV around that age which were embarassing enough to be "sharing" with my parents in the front room at home, let alone in public. We followed them out of the cinema, and they were parked next to us in the car park. Watching them drive down the road and they still hadn't said a word to each other... :D

Then there were the two old grannies who walked out about 10 minutes from the end... muttering to themselves. And the middle-aged guy who was spending some quality time with his son.

In hindsight it was just as enjoyable watching the people watching the film, as it was watching the film.

what did you think of it ???

Well, it wont be winning any film awards. You have to accept exactly what the films are. Escapism for 2 hours thats all.

Too far-fetched to take serious. Stunts are good no doubting, but it has gone too far away from being about racing fast cars, which the original first 2, maybe 3, were about

I read they were rumours of a spin-off with just Statham and The Rock. As an action movie I would go and watch that.

Went to see The Handmaiden the other night, the GF chose it as it's by the same director as Oldboy - neither of us (or the other couple who came with us) knew anything about it other than that...

A dark drama I guess you'd say, set in three parts, following the story of a man and woman vying fir the affections (and fortunes) of a Japanese heiress very stylishly shot and as you'd expect from the director it was full of twists and turns, but what stuck out most were the numerous full-on (mostly) lesbian sex scenes, was quite the shock going in blind as we were expecting more of a thriller than something which would make Stoya blush

I love Korean films. They are so dark but so beautiful at the same time.

This is a good intro if you want to explore more:
Memories of Murder, A Tale of Two Sisters, A Bittersweet Life and Save The Green Planet are good places to start beyond Park Chan-Wook

I love Korean films. They are so dark but so beautiful at the same time.

This is a good intro if you want to explore more:
Memories of Murder, A Tale of Two Sisters, A Bittersweet Life and Save The Green Planet are good places to start beyond Park Chan-Wook

Yeah I like what I have seen of S Korean movies, Bittersweet Life and ATOTS in particular

Yeah I like what I have seen of S Korean movies, Bittersweet Life and ATOTS in particular

The Housemaid
Whispering Corridors
Memento Mori
Phone
Acacia
Death Bell
Bunshinsaba
R-Point
Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter…And Spring
The Chaser

are other interesting ones. One of the contributors to that book I linked to is at my work, so I get good recommendations

I used to buy loads of the Tartan Asia Extreme DVDs from FOPP 10-15 years ago

Really a dry season for good movies atm. There hasn't been anything for ages worth watching, and nothing really exciting coming up any time soon either.

Really a dry season for good movies atm. There hasn't been anything for ages worth watching, and nothing really exciting coming up any time soon either.
I'm looking forward to Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and Alien Convenant, Spiderman Homecoming looks good too in July as does the 3rd Planet of the Apes film

I'm looking forward to Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and Alien Convenant, Spiderman Homecoming looks good too in July as does the 3rd Planet of the Apes film
None of those appeal to me. Science fiction, meh. And once they make more than two of a series, the theme gets very depleted.

The Housemaid
Whispering Corridors
Memento Mori
Phone
Acacia
Death Bell
Bunshinsaba
R-Point
Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter…And Spring
The Chaser

are other interesting ones. One of the contributors to that book I linked to is at my work, so I get good recommendations

I used to buy loads of the Tartan Asia Extreme DVDs from FOPP 10-15 years ago

Will keep those in mind, cheers :)

Caught Apocalypse Now on TV last night, first time in a while - such a great movie, so many beautifully shot scenes/sequences, would love to see that on the big screen

Thought it was well done. Not sure if this was intended, but I took it as a film about having children; time moves at a deferent pace for adults, we look after babies and we need them to look after us in the future, we teach babies our technology, babies want to fight each other until they are learnt to share, when babies come in to this world they are thinking what the fudge is this, etc, etc.

Thought it was well done. Not sure if this was intended, but I took it as a film about having children; time moves at a deferent pace for adults, we look after babies and we need them to look after us in the future, we teach babies our technology, babies want to fight each other until they are learnt to share, when babies come in to this world they are thinking what the fudge is this, etc, etc.

That's a different take on the film to the one that I had. I thought that the film was a reflective on the concepts passed forward by Einstein about time all occurring at once, and it is just our perception of time rather than the linear nature of time. I thought that the film was pretentious, over layering, and at times either skipped scenes, or repeated them too many times as if trying to educate the idiots in the crowd who share a single GCSE between them.

I thought that the film was overhyped, and whilst the concept is not poor in its written form, it translated on the screen as if a line of Shakespeare that had been passed through Google translate twice in to differing languages, with the final version translated back in to English and shown up on the screen.

For me, I couldn't wait until Arrival departed.

That's a different take on the film to the one that I had. I thought that the film was a reflective on the concepts passed forward by Einstein about time all occurring at once, and it is just our perception of time rather than the linear nature of time. I thought that the film was pretentious, over layering, and at times either skipped scenes, or repeated them too many times as if trying to educate the idiots in the crowd who share a single GCSE between them.

I thought that the film was overhyped, and whilst the concept is not poor in its written form, it translated on the screen as if a line of Shakespeare that had been passed through Google translate twice in to differing languages, with the final version translated back in to English and shown up on the screen.

For me, I couldn't wait until Arrival departed.
I don't read reviews of films, so I knew nothing about the film or whether it was overhyped.

Back