• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*Official Book Thread*

clownfoot

Ronnie Rosenthal
Been reading The Psychopath Test lately. Amazing. Non-fiction, which i've been reading a lot more than fiction lately. About madness and what being sane means. From the bloke who wrote The Men Who Stare At Goats so there is lots of humour in it. Highly recommend it

I haven't read a lot of books last 2-3 years, used to read a lot more. However, since the TV series (Game of Thrones) started I've read the entire A song of Ice and Fire series. Probably the best books I've ever read. Fantastic

got Tai Pan by James Clavell at the weekend, think it was Wookie (where is he ???) that put me on to it after i had read Shogun, which was a great read

Got a Kindle for Xmas, got to say, I was a bit apprehensive about reading books electronically, but what a superb piece of kit and I've picked a couple of decent reads up from Amazon for 99p and 77p!!

Are We Nearly There Yet?: A Family's 8000 Miles Around Britain in a Vauxhall Astra and When I Walk, I Bounce: Walking from Land's End to John o'Groats. Both good reads.

Been reading The Psychopath Test lately. Amazing. Non-fiction, which i've been reading a lot more than fiction lately. About madness and what being sane means. From the bloke who wrote The Men Who Stare At Goats so there is lots of humour in it. Highly recommend it

Got this for xmas but not started yet. looking forward to it now!

Ah man, I had this thread on the old board.....

But anyway....

Currently reading Coming up for Air by George Orwell, enjoying at the moment, a book which brings up many reminiscent kind of feelings.

I recently read the 4th of a currently 5 book series about the rise of Ghengis Kahn and his successors by Conn Iggulden. Think the first book is called 'Bones of the Hills'. It's a brilliant series, Conn is one of those authers who has me hooked after 4 or 5 pages! His descrptive narrative is just right to give you a detailed picture in your head but not over descriptive like some authors that just have you thinking "get on with it!"

connigg4bks.jpg

Another of Conn Iggulden's series was his 'Emperor' 4 book series about Julius Ceasar! This was a great series, good enough to be made into a movie in my opinion.

51wrigWRrHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I've also been reading Bernard Cornwall's Saxon series about a fictional character called Uhtred. It's all about the period where the first King of England, Alfred, battled constant invasion from the nord Vikings. Again written brilliantly and historically accurate as you'd expect from a Cornwall novel

I've read the all but the new one:

saxon-tales.jpg

http://www.bernardcornwell.net/index2.cfm?page=1&seriesid=10

Also Saul David's 'Zulu Hart' is another great read and there's a follow up called 'Hart of Empire'

Zulu-Hartbig.jpg

Last edited:
Finished the whole Song of Fire and Ice series last year. Had a little break as it wasn't easy to set my mind to reading something else, but I've got a nice stack of books lined up as play.com had loads of titles at ?ú5 or less.

Not too big on the classics, so will be delving into some scifi by Isaac Asimov. Fun fact: The only author to be published in every category in the Dewey decimal system in addition to being a prolific fiction writer.

Just finished Saul David's "Hart of Empire" (the follow on from "Zulu Hart"). Was a great read, very similar to the Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell, although it's set 130+ years after Sharpe in the hight of the British Empire. Hart of Empire is an interesting read as it's set during our 2nd conflict in Afghanistan in 1879... The similarities to todays conflict is quite suprising! It follows Captain Hart (a fictional character) in an historically accurate depiction of the conflict.
Definately recommend it to any fans of Historical Fiction or even if you enjoyed the Sharpe series (books or tv) as it easily relates to that.

Just started a book by Giles Kristian called Raven Blood Eye, set in the Viking era... So far so good, only a couple chapters in

Anyone got any suggestion for "self help" books?

Been given the road less travelled to read written by M Scott Peck - anyone read it? any good? doesnt look good (then again dont judge a book by its cover huh)

Finished the whole Song of Fire and Ice series last year. Had a little break as it wasn't easy to set my mind to reading something else, but I've got a nice stack of books lined up as play.com had loads of titles at ?ú5 or less.

Not too big on the classics, so will be delving into some scifi by Isaac Asimov. Fun fact: The only author to be published in every category in the Dewey decimal system in addition to being a prolific fiction writer.

The Foundation trilogy is my favourite Asimov. Terrific read.

Anyone got any suggestion for "self help" books?

Been given the road less travelled to read written by M Scott Peck - anyone read it? any good? doesnt look good (then again dont judge a book by its cover huh)

A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle. Potentially life changing.

Yeah heard of him. May read it then. Need some life changing brick

His first book, The Power Of Now, is excellent also. It's not what I expected at all, but it had a huge impact.

A New Earth covers much of the material of his first book as well as plenty of new stuff, so I would go with this one.

Just finished the 1st of a trilogy of books by Giles Kristian (also his debut books) called "Raven: Blood Eye" Excellent book telling the fictional story (with historical accuracy woven into it) of the first encounters the English made with the raiding Norsemen (the author doesn't use the word "Viking" for reasons he's given in the historical note of the book). It follows a young 15-16yr old lad who gets tangled up with a Norse raiding party called the Wolfpack after they raid his peaceful village and burn it to the ground.
A thrilling read thats up there with anything written by Conn Iggluden and even Bernard Cornwell. Just about to start the 2nd book of the trilogy called "Sons of Thunder"

Ravens.jpg

Just finished the 1st of a trilogy of books by Giles Kristian (also his debut books) called "Raven: Blood Eye" Excellent book telling the fictional story (with historical accuracy woven into it) of the first encounters the English made with the raiding Norsemen (the author doesn't use the word "Viking" for reasons he's given in the historical note of the book). It follows a young 15-16yr old lad who gets tangled up with a Norse raiding party called the Wolfpack after they raid his peaceful village and burn it to the ground.
A thrilling read thats up there with anything written by Conn Iggluden and even Bernard Cornwell. Just about to start the 2nd book of the trilogy called "Sons of Thunder"

Ravens.jpg

I may check that out, sounds good

Back