• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

O/T Kick Racism Out Of Football boycott

chicken_badge

Gudni Bergsson
Wasnt sure whether to put this in the John Terry thread but I think it is bigger than that issue.

Jason Roberts says he won't wear the Kick Racism Out Of Football warm up shirt tomorrow. Being discussed on Talksport at the moment, Fergie and Wenger don't support him. Apparently it is a small organisation with less than £0.5m funding.

I say good on him. It's hypocritical for the Premier League to claim this is what they do when they do not actively do enough to prevent racism. Most notably sanctions. I think the FA also need to lead the way in forcing UEFA/FIFA to sort their business too.

I'd like to see Roberts and others wear an alternative anti racist shirt or slogan. Maybe "4 matches = joke" is too specific but something like "tougher stance on racism" makes the point. Plus surely the FA rules on slogans etc only applies during actual matches.

Must be slightly embarrassing, or perfectly timed whichever way you look at it given the recent FA's public outrage over Danny Rose's abuse

I agree with Roberts, the full slogan seems to be "lets kick racism out of football..... for a couple of weeks"

I applaud Jason Roberts and any other black player who feel that there is a tipping point now and chose not to wear the t-shirts.

He has definitely raised awareness of the campaign as SSN and talksport have highlighted how little funding Kick It Out actually receive from the PFA, FA and Premier League, think they receive just over £400,000, that is chump change compared against the wages of John Terry for example.

I also think Fergie was bang out of order in the way that he criticised Jason Roberts. I can agree with some of the points he was making about everyone being united, but he seemed to be implying that Roberts is doing this purely to raise his own profile and is using the scandal as a platform to promote himself.

Help me, I'm agreeing with Fergie and Wenger.

The organisation exists to try and get rid of racism. It is a small organisation with a small budget and is fighting against something that has existed in most societies throughout history. A boycott doesn't help them do a better job.

There are two approaches:

1. Refuse to back the gesture and scream "me, me, me" in the media.

2. Back the demonstration and use the occasion to make constructive comments about how to do a better job.

I agree with jts, I don't see how not wearing the t-shirt helps.

Kick It Out is supposed to highlight the on going discrimination within the game (of all forms, not just racism). Surely that's something that everyone should support, if they believe that discrimination is wrong of course? Fair enough, if he thinks the voice isn't loud enough, but why not support it more vociferously to increase it's presence and influence, rather than weaken it?

Kick It Out need to be abolished.

They waste time doing their really uninformed/misguided yid crap, yet do absolutely nothing to prevent real racism (i.e. education and influencing the punishment of Terry/Suarez/Serbia).

I'd make Roberts head of a new body with real teeth (and sense), and with the double mandate of educating and policing both racism and homophobia in the game.

if he doesn't refuse to wear the shirt there is no story and he's not going to get the chance to give his opinion that not enough is being done

its the squeaky wheel that gets the grease

if he doesn't refuse to wear the shirt there is no story and he's not going to get the chance to give his opinion that not enough is being done

its the squeaky wheel that gets the grease

That's just it. The publicity and discussion wouldn't be the same if he simply said "kick racism out of football isn't enough".

I think most of these campaigns achieve very little, other than allow the authorities to spiel some rhetoric about "what they do". For example:

RESPECT has existed about the same length of time as Rio Ferdinands career but hasn't stopped him flapping his gums at officials about to give a big decision against Man U. Nor the rest of his scrum.

FAIR PLAY has existed since the advent of digital cameras yet how seriously has modern technology been utilised to ensure fair play takes place? I'm not just talking hawkeye, I also mean sensible retrospective action, overuling poor or misguided refereeing .

The fact is these schemes don't exist for the good of the game they exist for someone to somewhere to tick a box. They exist so that every now and again, before watching the match I have paid £50 to see I am forced to look at a bunch of kids holding hands and a big flag. That's it.

None of that has any effect on whether a Lazio fan apes Gallas, or whether John Terry calls Ferdinand xyz or whether Suarez chooses to abuse Evra. The ONLY thing this sort of organisation can do that is productive is to get the top, top players at each club, the role models like Rooney and Bale and Ba and Fellani to stand up and speak out directly. Live statements before matches. Non acceptance at all of any sniff of it. Unfortunately what we get is the biggest players at Liverpool and Chelsea racially abusing other men and the FA doing next to nothing.

Kick Racism Out Of Football? No, you're not really doing that, are you?

Kick It Out need to be abolished.

They waste time doing their really uninformed/misguided yid crap, yet do absolutely nothing to prevent real racism (i.e. education and influencing the punishment of Terry/Suarez/Serbia).

I'd make Roberts head of a new body with real teeth (and sense), and with the double mandate of educating and policing both racism and homophobia in the game.

I believe Roberts is doing this to draw attention to the problem and is hoping his actions and possibly other players' actions will force the FA to implement harsher penalties on players found guilty of racist conduct.

I agree Kick It Out receive such meager funding that they really are powerless.

I applaud Jason Roberts and any other black player who feel that there is a tipping point now and chose not to wear the t-shirts.
I want to see solidarity and direct action from teams, walking off as a team if that's what it needs to drive the point home, not just the black players, not white players coming out in support of their black team mates but doing what I guess every right minded person on this board would do, standing toe to toe with your mates regardless of whether they're black, white, gay, straight or Australian.

Surely if Rosa Parks went out on the limb she did a few footballers can walk off a pitch.

Last edited:
Back