• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

O/T Dave Mackay

Indeed, no one would dare mock McKay’s trophy cabinet!

View attachment 6169
All that despite breaking his leg three times during his career. Little doubt he'd have won more had it not been for three broken legs plus a whole series of minor injuries during his career. He was known as the Iron Man but critical absences during the season following our Double win almost certainly cost both him and the club a second successive League Champions medal as we missed out on the title by just 4 points.

The following December 1963 we were leading Utd 2-1 on aggregate in the SF second leg of the Cup-Winners Cup at OT when he was stretchered off after just eight minutes with a broken leg, thus reduced us to ten men for the rest of the match. No subs in those days!

So for the second year in succession injury put paid to any chance of him and us winning a trophy as we inevitably went on to lose that SF tie 3-4 on aggregate.

'The break was a serious one, and it took nine months before he attempted a comeback.[16] Playing for Tottenham's reserves at home to Shrewsbury Town on 12 September 1964, he broke the same bone a second time, this time in a challenge with Peter Dolby.[17][18] Mackay returned at the start of the 1965–66 season having missed a year and a half of first-team football.[17]'

His 18-month absence took its toll on the team as our challenge for trophies continued to recede over that period.

He may have been known as the Iron Man but he was also very human.

Last edited:
I will always smile when I see this picture.

Total legend. Get well soon Dave.

Worth noting Mackay never actually liked the picture because he remakrably went his whole career without a red and feels it doesn't show the fair side of him. Think he understood why it was (and is) so popular though!

Worth noting Mackay never actually liked the picture because he remakrably went his whole career without a red and feels it doesn't show the fair side of him. Think he understood why it was (and is) so popular though!

Mackay lost it against Bremner because he was not long back after two broken legs (same leg both times) and Bremner was a dirty bastard and kicked Mackay so he grabbed him by the neck. As you say he was sorry for doing that but Bremner was trying to do him.

Hard as nails, i was at Old Trafford when he broke his leg he still managed to sit up on the stretcher and wave to our fans. In those days a broken leg could finish a player at the top level but he came back and suffered another one and still played after that as well.

Back in the day when footballers were ordinary people the players had a drink in the Bell & Hare after the game and i saw Mackay drinking cola, my mate asked the barman what he was drinking and he said it was Bacardi & coke first time I've ever heard of it, we were so unsophisticated in those days.

When I did the new stadium tour Cliff was the host, he did 10 press ups in the changing room. Fantastic player, hard as nails and great header of the ball.
I saw him in person when I was flying out to the CL final, he looked sprightly then too.

Simply the best player I ever saw play for Spurs...Impecable skill on he ball.. Grevsie said the same about him being Spurs
greatest player.

Back