• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

Originally Yes but they did a revised design with a single tier stand.
images
There's no way we'd have got away with a stand that steep

No getting away from it: that thing looks brick. Still, flip it round to sit over the pitch, wait until referendums become commonplace, and we'll make a fortune hosting live public executions.

Referenda, ShipOfThesaurus

I agree we could make it look more part of the design, rather than a bolted on satellite dish trying to pick up BEIN Sports

Nope. Referendum is a gerund (that which has been referred) and so there are several reasons not to decline it as one would a first declension neuter noun: you don't normally pluralise gerunds in Latin, for some reason, and if you did, there's no reason to think they'd be regular. And anyway "those things which have been referred" wouldn't really fit the context.

So it's one of the few cases where pedants will always use the english plural rather than the classical one.

Nope. Referendum is a gerund (that which has been referred) and so there are several reasons not to decline it as one would a first declension neuter noun: you don't normally pluralise gerunds in Latin, for some reason, and if you did, there's no reason to think they'd be regular. And anyway "those things which have been referred" wouldn't really fit the context.

So it's one of the few cases where pedants will always use the english plural rather than the classical one.

I thought as much!

By the way, my CEO said "Thesser-us" yesterday instead of "The-sore-us"

Is that allowable behaviour? I need to know

According to the OED it is a noun in English not a gerund (though it is a gerund in Latin, a point which is not referenced in the OED). According to the OED both "referenda" and "referendums" are acceptable as the plural of "referendum".
Also according to the OED, the "au" in "thesaurus" is a pronounced as a long vowel not a short one, and no alternative is given.
I'll accept the OED.
If any or all of that makes me a pedant, then I'll live with it.

According to the OED it is a noun in English not a gerund (though it is a gerund in Latin, a point which is not referenced in the OED). According to the OED both "referenda" and "referendums" are acceptable as the plural of "referendum".
Also according to the OED, the "au" in "thesaurus" is a pronounced as a long vowel not a short one, and no alternative is given.
I'll accept the OED.

I don’t think I suggested that it wasn’t a noun in English. Suprisingly descriptivist of the OED, though. They probably accept octopi these days.

I'll accept the OED.

Geht intae them!

Back