• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

Whilst the top tier is wavy like the Emirates (and others) and the stadium is a three tier design, that is where the similarities end. Compare photos of the Emirates to the new Lane and you can clearly see that the lower tier at N5 is larger and shallower that the lower tier at Tottenham. The second tier at Tottenham is larger that that down the road and closer to the pitch. Both the lower two tiers at Tottenham are steeper and are overhung by the tier above to a greater extent.
Notwithstanding the single tier end that breaks the bowl design and gives an obvious "home" end, it is clear that great care has been taken to design a ground that is steep sided and intimidating to the opposition in the same way as the original East Stand, which gave the impression when full that the supporters were likely to fall into the arena at any stage.
Of course we will only know what the ground feels like when we take our seats but so far I really like what I see.

Take a paper plate and scrunch it up at the sides like a stadium... what happens to the surface area? it's reduced (because the 'extra' material has been folded back on itself.) To retain the full capacity of the open paper plate you have to allow for the 'peaks' at the top of the stands, hence creating the wavy effect. It's explained a lot better on SkyScraperCity forum in numerous ways, but this one made most sense to me... :)

So I did this and it just looks like the Reebok/Huddersfield or whatever they're called this season.......

how-to-make-a-cookie-gift-box-using-a-paper-plate-5.jpg

Reactions: rxl
XFSSQ7153-300.jpg

Because of sightlines and all that, the rake in the corners will apparently get very steep if they continued to the same height as the rest.

Reactions: rxl
How does Bayern Munichs ground fit in to this? It's essentially an oval but has no wavy corners at the top

How does Bayern Munichs ground fit in to this? It's essentially an oval but has no wavy corners at the top

Our stands are testing the limit of falling onto the pitch. Bayerns is shallow in comparison.

The roof design which contributes to the acoustics would have to be altered and i believe due to the confinements of the site, the stadium would have had to occupy a larger site if bayerns was to be replicated.

It's no problem not having the wave if you have unlimited space. But within a specified area, you get more seats in with a wave configuration. Not haveing a slight dip in the corners means that the rake have to be more shallow, and the seats will have to be a lot further from the pitch. Wembley is also a good example. Would you like ours to be like Wembley instead of a tight, intimate and intimidating stadium?

The thing I dont get about the wave shape is this: is you take a stadium which has a 'wave' shape, what's stopping you building up on the dip part of the wave so that the stadium is the same height all the way around (obviously building it up when you build the stadium)? I get the paper plate example, but thats obviously starting from a circular piece of card...which isnt a limitation when building a stadium. I dont why you could take our base wave design up and build those other bits up...but then again I've never built a stadium....any explanations gratefully received!

The thing I dont get about the wave shape is this: is you take a stadium which has a 'wave' shape, what's stopping you building up on the dip part of the wave so that the stadium is the same height all the way around (obviously building it up when you build the stadium)? I get the paper plate example, but thats obviously starting from a circular piece of card...which isnt a limitation when building a stadium. I dont why you could take our base wave design up and build those other bits up...but then again I've never built a stadium....any explanations gratefully received!
If you build them level then (because they're corners) you need to go up higher and out further than the rest of the stands.

Up higher needs a wider ground footprint, as does out further. We don't have more space at ground level, we've built out to the limits as it is.

Just try adding more seats at the same rake where it dips. It will end up outside the stadium footprint. It's pretty basic geometry. If you try increasing the rake to make do with the dip, the radius gets tighter, and that means less seats in it's own. Then there is the C value, which is a measure of optimum sight lines. A sharper radius means there has to be more space, both in height and width, between seats, leading to even less seats. Believe me, the designers know what they're doing.

A quote from SSC from someone who chatted to a MACE employee about the recent logistics:

"At one point earlier all onsite deliveries were limited basically to two drop-off locations for a period of several weeks - the High Road and the arena centre via the Worcester Avenue entrances off Northumberland Park (for longer loads, plant etc) and Park Lane (for smaller trucks etc). Deliveries started from almost twenty different supply locations ranging in distance from half a mile to two hundred miles away. High Road stop-off periods were dictated by hoisting times so were severely restricted regarding how many could be accommodated daily. This meant that every other single high-priority delivery (of which there could be up to fifty or more a day) basically had a maximum three minute window of leeway in arrival time and - to make space - an average of fifteen minute leeway in getting away once the delivery was complete. On top of this the soil extraction added another fifty or more arrival/departures to the schedule. Add London traffic, motorway restrictions, and variable weather conditions to all this while you're at it.

All this basically coordinated almost glitch-free by a team of no more than three individuals."

A quote from SSC from someone who chatted to a MACE employee about the recent logistics:

"At one point earlier all onsite deliveries were limited basically to two drop-off locations for a period of several weeks - the High Road and the arena centre via the Worcester Avenue entrances off Northumberland Park (for longer loads, plant etc) and Park Lane (for smaller trucks etc). Deliveries started from almost twenty different supply locations ranging in distance from half a mile to two hundred miles away. High Road stop-off periods were dictated by hoisting times so were severely restricted regarding how many could be accommodated daily. This meant that every other single high-priority delivery (of which there could be up to fifty or more a day) basically had a maximum three minute window of leeway in arrival time and - to make space - an average of fifteen minute leeway in getting away once the delivery was complete. On top of this the soil extraction added another fifty or more arrival/departures to the schedule. Add London traffic, motorway restrictions, and variable weather conditions to all this while you're at it.

All this basically coordinated almost glitch-free by a team of no more than three individuals."
Just get them to arrive an hour early, at the storage site, then drive 2 minutes to NWHL when their slot is available

Is there an option to extend the stadium to increase capacity in the future if required, I'd hope the design is future proofed.

Is there an option to extend the stadium to increase capacity in the future if required, I'd hope the design is future proofed.

It's always possible if you have the money, but I don't see it happening. The cost would be too much compared to what you can expect to make from those seats.

It's always possible if you have the money, but I don't see it happening. The cost would be too much compared to what you can expect to make from those seats.

Better start buying the school and surrounding land .... once our master plan of gentrification takes place the property value will rocket.

You will see the current residence sell up once they get a relativity unbelievable offer for their house.

Ive seen something similar happen in Stratford/Tower Hamlets/Hackney.

Places are almost unrecognizable from 10 years ago, both in terms of infustructure but also change in society/culture.

The reaction when i say that I'm from Hackney now compared to 10 years back, it's soo funny

Back