• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

The only plus side to not visiting the lane for a weeks on end, is the joy you get see how much has been done since the last visit

Very mixed emotions for me.

Yes. Went through this with Warrington RLFC when we left Wilderspool and moved to Halliwell Jones Stadium. It was a great move for the club financially,but I had grew up going to Wilderspool, almost a 2nd home. I was almost angry that we moved, as such, I have only been to the new stadium once since, but also that is because I fell out of love with the club as well.
As much I loved the old Lane and I going to miss it too, the big plus is that we are only moving a few yards and facing the opposite way

I think that I remember Poch saying at some stage that he thought the tight pitch at WHL hampered us

Funnily enough I have always thought the same. As long as the team have enough staying power they will not get closed down so quick because they have more space to use their skills...
Any ways...when are going to get this bleeding stadium started...:)

Funnily enough I have always thought the same. As long as the team have enough staying power they will not get closed down so quick because they have more space to use their skills...
Any ways...when are going to get this bleeding stadium started...:)

The argument against that is that we are the side that normally does the most closing down. A bigger pitch means that we are having the cover a wider area. The flip side is that it will be slightly harder to teams who put ten men behind the ball.

I had always thought that WHL fitted us because the pitch was small.

Eh....back when Bale and Lennon were running down the flanks during 'Arry's tenure, we tended to get closed out a lot because WHL was so small relative to other pitches (and Benny/Corluka didn't really get forward as much as Walker/Rose do). It was also quite bad when VdV was nominally one of the wide men and wandered inside, meaning that a lot of our play was forced down the middle into two banks of four that usually suffocated us with relative ease if (if) they could see out the first 10-15 minutes, when we'd come out flying.

WHL suits us now because the tightness of the pitch magnifies our pressing to a massive extent - teams have *no* space to play in when we press well, whereas with the larger pitches (like Wembley's, for example) even a well-orchestrated press will have to allow teams some space and time because of the distances involved in closing them down. But if we revert to playing like a team reliant on individual expression and creativity (as we were under Harry), then I think we'll start to encounter the same problems again, because of the nature of that sort of game relative to the one we have now (which relies on quick transitions following turnovers, which happen frequently due to our success at closing down quickly).

We should have made ours the same, the stands seem a bit steeper there as well. On TV it looks pretty imposing.

Not sure of the gradient of the rakers at NHL, but don't think they differ much from the Allianz
  • Total surface (barrier to barrier): 120 m x 83 m
  • Spectator distance from pitch: 7.5 m minimum
  • Pitchside barrier height: approx 1.2 m

Seat row gradients:
  • Lower tier: approx 24°
  • Middle tier: approx 30°
  • Upper tier: approx 34°

The Allianz arena has stands much closer to the pitch and that's definitely category A.
It's 8 meters all way around at Allianz
We should have made ours the same, the stands seem a bit steeper there as well. On TV it looks pretty imposing.

:confused:
A: The new stadium has been designed to bring fans closer to the pitch that at any other modern stadium in the country. The first row of seats will be less than 8 metres from the touchline all the way around the ground – even closer for our singe-tier ‘home end’ which will be under 6 metres – compared with over 12 metres at the City of Manchester Stadium, over 13 metres at the Emirates Stadium and 18 metres at Wembley National Stadium.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/new-stadium/faqs/

A: The new stadium has been designed to bring fans closer to the pitch that at any other modern stadium in the country. The first row of seats will be less than 8 metres from the touchline all the way around the ground – even closer for our singe-tier ‘home end’ which will be under 6 metres – compared with over 12 metres at the City of Manchester Stadium, over 13 metres at the Emirates Stadium and 18 metres at Wembley National Stadium.

This. So much this. I haven't weighed in on the topic, because I think the official website answers it completely, but for what it's worth...we will probably have the least separation between stands and pitch of any 60,000+ seater stadium. It's part of what drove me wild when those renders were released last summer, and I don't think the club could have done a better job in that regard.

This. So much this. I haven't weighed in on the topic, because I think the official website answers it completely, but for what it's worth...we will probably have the least separation between stands and pitch of any 60,000+ seater stadium. It's part of what drove me wild when those renders were released last summer, and I don't think the club could have done a better job in that regard.
Also, people are exaggerating the importance of a a couple of meters. It doesn't matter if it's 5 or 8 meters. We actually got a bad injury to Verts because of the tight space. He injured his ankle on the edge between the pitch and the astro turf. If it had been a bit more space, he'd be fine now! Also, if the stands are too close to the pitch, people on the front ends can't see nothing but heads when the play is in in the opposite corner. You need a bit of distance from the pitch to get good sightlines. That is also why many stands are slightly curved.

Last edited:
Also, people are exaggerating the importance of a a couple of meters. It doesn't matter if it's 5 or 8 meters. We actually got a bad injury to Verts because of the tight space. He injured his ankle on the edge between the pitch and the astro turf. If it had been a bit more space, he'd be fine now! Also, if the stands are too close to the pitch, people on the front ends can't see nothing but heads when the play is in in the opposite corner. You need a bit of distance from the pitch to get good sightlines. That is also why many stands are slightly curved.

actually thats got more today with the uneveness and the difference in texture as you go out of the pitch. there should be another solution to that, e.g. leveling the transition, having artificial turf off-potch, and even going as far as to put up soft bumper materials on advertising boards, cameras etc.

And 7.3 miles at the London Stadium

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

Back