• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

No Saggy-face thread?!?

There was no way we were going to get relegated. That's a common defence of Backhander 'Arry but to suggest that was even a slight likelihood after 8 games is either intentionally disingenuous or just dumb.

Ramos might have pushed us close but we were never going down and Harry is no saviour for that. He did however get us playing some decent football I concede that.

However flirting with FA and then the court case was not a good look and we done well getting rid in my opinion.

Ramos might have pushed us close but we were never going down and Harry is no saviour for that. He did however get us playing some decent football I concede that.

However flirting with FA and then the court case was not a good look and we done well getting rid in my opinion.
The court case, *rumours of* agent backhanders, employing past it, overpaid ex-footballers, etc. All of those things are part and parcel of employing Redknapp and why a club like ours shouldn't have gone near him with Chelsea's wallet. It's like being desperate for a defender, employing John Terry and just hoping he doesn't act like a racist clam.

He did however get us playing some decent football I concede that.

Sometimes. And more by chance than design. IMO, of course.

I hate to sound sour about it, but its one of those things that get said about him a lot, which I just dont agree with.

He had some amazing talent at his disposal, and at times it found a rhythm and was great to watch - but I genuinely think that has VERY little to do with Redknapp, and everything to do with the players doing the business.

Even while he was at the club I was screaming out for some structure, some shape, some bloody tactics for the team to fall back on when we werent able to just gel and find form. And in these aspects Harry was very much left wanting.

And looking back, I just feel that view has solidified - especially since Poch has given us just that and its taken us up a level.

We can play badly, disjointed, off form - and thanks to the shape and tactics instilled in the team we can still win games.

Seen his staunch defending of the club against Gary Neville? Was amazing

Harry should have been at the ground 2001 when we threw away a 3 goal lead to lose 3-5 to United.
Harry just likes the sound of his own voice.
Neville was spot on we were very soft back in the day.

Harry should have been at the ground 2001 when we threw away a 3 goal lead to lose 3-5 to United.
Harry just likes the sound of his own voice.
Neville was spot on we were very soft back in the day.

Or just not good enough.

Compare to a VERY good once in a generation United legacy team and anyone you compare them with is soft, spineless and bottlers which is unfair. We were compared to the top clubs in the 90s and early 2000s a poor club in terms of quality, we were in many years made up of some pretty bang average players which is fine I look back on the time fondly for different reasons but to say we were spineless because its fashionable to do so is just laughable. We were polished off in the CL in Harry time by a very good Real Madrid, its the same thing, you meet your match in terms of quality, has nothing to do with spine or bottle. Scholes versus Tim Sherwood, bottle? Behave

Or just not good enough.

Compare to a VERY good once in a generation United legacy team and anyone you compare them with is soft, spineless and bottlers which is unfair. We were compared to the top clubs in the 90s and early 2000s a poor club in terms of quality, we were in many years made up of some pretty bang average players which is fine I look back on the time fondly for different reasons but to say we were spineless because its fashionable to do so is just laughable. We were polished off in the CL in Harry time by a very good Real Madrid, its the same thing, you meet your match in terms of quality, has nothing to do with spine or bottle. Scholes versus Tim Sherwood, bottle? Behave

Think you being very kind. That Hoddle team was soft as playdoh. I’m in polite mode also;)
Neville was trying in vane to prove a point to Carragher,got a tad carried away and went OTT!
But talking to and trying to explain basic numeracy to Spit the dog could do that to anybody!

Last edited:
Think you being very kind. That Hoddle team was soft as playdoh. I’m in polite mode also;)
Neville was trying in vane to prove a point to Carragher,got a tad carried away and went OTT!
But talking to and trying to explain basic numeracy to Spit the dog could do that to anybody!

10/10 for humour there, loved it.

My issue would be that Poyet, Ferdinand, Sherringham and Anderton with a enforser of Freund and Tarrico on the wing was hmmmm over achieving. We ran out of gas in games and in the season.

Sometimes. And more by chance than design. IMO, of course.

I hate to sound sour about it, but its one of those things that get said about him a lot, which I just dont agree with.

He had some amazing talent at his disposal, and at times it found a rhythm and was great to watch - but I genuinely think that has VERY little to do with Redknapp, and everything to do with the players doing the business.

Even while he was at the club I was screaming out for some structure, some shape, some bloody tactics for the team to fall back on when we werent able to just gel and find form. And in these aspects Harry was very much left wanting.

And looking back, I just feel that view has solidified - especially since Poch has given us just that and its taken us up a level.

We can play badly, disjointed, off form - and thanks to the shape and tactics instilled in the team we can still win games.
I know its fashionable to knock Harry because of all the other stuff around him but I for one will always be grateful for the way he pulled the club round and got us playing some of the most attractive footy we'd seen from Spurs in decades.

Of course the way he basically abandoned the team once the England job came up was totally indefensible but what he did prior to that was give the team back their belief and get them playing closer to their potential. That as it turned out was pretty much all it needed but he proved the right man for the job at the time and to that extent deserves full credit for achieving what he did.

I know its fashionable to knock Harry because of all the other stuff around him but I for one will always be grateful for the way he pulled the club round and got us playing some of the most attractive footy we'd seen from Spurs in decades.

Of course the way he basically abandoned the team once the England job came up was totally indefensible but what he did prior to that was give the team back their belief and get them playing closer to their potential. That as it turned out was pretty much all it needed but he proved the right man for the job at the time and to that extent deserves full credit for achieving what he did.

I absolutely dont expect you to do so, but it you went back to 2010ish on here you would find I had the same criticisms of him then, at the time, pre-England and certainly not following any trends.

While I certainly appreciate much of what Redknapp did, particularly his first season and a half, I came to the point where I felt Redknapp had done as much as he could, and was failing to develop the team in the ways it clearly required.

Not enough structure, tactics, plan, no practiced shape... Everything was just instinctive. When it worked it was a joy, when it didnt it was frustrating as hell.

I think he did the best he could, I think he got a lot right, but I think he failed to then grow as a manager and develop the team to the next level - which is what it was crying out for.

Ultimately I look at his tenure as initially very positive, and then a tale of missed opportunity.

I absolutely dont expect you to do so, but it you went back to 2010ish on here you would find I had the same criticisms of him then, at the time, pre-England and certainly not following any trends.

While I certainly appreciate much of what Redknapp did, particularly his first season and a half, I came to the point where I felt Redknapp had done as much as he could, and was failing to develop the team in the ways it clearly required.

Not enough structure, tactics, plan, no practiced shape... Everything was just instinctive. When it worked it was a joy, when it didnt it was frustrating as hell.

I think he did the best he could, I think he got a lot right, but I think he failed to then grow as a manager and develop the team to the next level - which is what it was crying out for.

Ultimately I look at his tenure as initially very positive, and then a tale of missed opportunity.
I think Redknapp has admitted in the past that his tactics are little more than giving good players freedom. I think that showed and is precisely what limits his ability to do more than manage over-achieving relegation fodder.

I think one of the biggest examples of that is Parker, who rather frustratingly for me gets talked about as a "great" player. He isnt.

Initially he did a very disciplined holding job, and did it superbly. If that was all he ever did maybe Id buy into the "great" tag.

Modric and co ahead of him did the business and the platform Parker provided was perfect.

Until he decides, actually, he should be playing further up the field, making transitions, attacking - and basically went off to run things.

Not only was he fudging useless at this, it really wasnt his game, he then neglected the excellent defensive job he was doing meaning Modric was dropping ever deeper to compensate.

How fudged up is that? Luka Modric covering the back four so Scott Parker can run up field and lose it!?

This is a real example of Redknapps management - or lack there of - and exactly the sort of thing I was crying out for him to step in and put right. He never did.

Took us forward a good 5 years.... just a shame that Levy then reversed all his good work by appointing AVB.
:D

Did AVB fudge your dog or do you just not like intelligent people in football?

I find this slavish love of all things dumbed down and traditional in football peculiar in someone as apparently intelligent as you.

Back