• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager

Why do you say this?

I don't think that his playing style is suited to the players in our squad. Which should be the first criteria when looking for our next manager, or you end up having to sell half your team and rebuild only to see them leave three years later. We don't have the money for that approach.

I also think that the fans wouldn't like his style of football. We'd get on his and the team's back after a honeymoon period.

I don't think that his playing style is suited to the players in our squad. Which should be the first criteria when looking for our next manager, or you end up having to sell half your team and rebuild only to see them leave three years later. We don't have the money for that approach.

I also think that the fans wouldn't like his style of football. We'd get on his and the team's back after a honeymoon period.
What's his playing style?

Why I would like Mourinho:

He can be charming and witty, and his time at Porto, Chelsea (2004) and Inter shows he can really bond with players. In his early days at Chelsea he had them playing really dominant, attacking football. Solid at the back, yes, but also with Robben and Duff and co let off the hook. Its the sort of format I think could really work with our squad. Then of course, there is the winning. This guy knows how to win, and how to instil that into his squad. There are plenty of positives to see with Mourinho, if you look for them.

Why I would hate Mourinho:

His most recent appointments have all seem him deteriorate into a sneering, horrid, nasty piece of work. The football offered up by his teams has been awful, restrictive, strangle the game to death type affairs. He has publicly berated and alienated players. He has NO history of actually developing players, specifically young ones - which is at odds with how we run as a club. And he has that 'Arry like quality of buying old mercenaries and leaving a club with an unsustainable wage bill and expensive restructure needed...

Why I think we might just end up with him:

Seems to me he has a good relationship with Levy. We were interested in him way back in 2004 (2003 maybe) just before his reputation exploded and he went to Chelsea, and Levy is a bit like a Mountie - he always gets his man (eventually). He has also had a nice break, which means he is currently the charming, affable, fun Mourinho. The one who speaks well, seems reasonable, and has enthusiasm. Considering his record, it seems a no brainer...

Why I think it would be a disaster:

Ultimately, I cant get past the fact that his MO runs contra to the clubs. He isnt a manager to buy young players and improve them. He isnt a manager that will accept not getting his targets (either "at all" or "on time") and get on with things. He isnt really a manager that works well under pressure, the cracks show pretty quick with him IMO, and at Spurs he wont have the luxury of parachuting into the best team in the league - he'll be under pressure to improve the club.

I would predict he would come in, make us solid, things look good for a while. Then around/after the first summer window things start going sour, his surly and agitating nature returns, and then its a slow demise for his time here...

Why I think it might just work:

Mourinho is a manager, more than coach. If he can get the right coaches in around him, things could get interesting. Just as, taking Spurs to the league title would really be his greatest achievement - and I wonder if he might be motivated by that sort of challenge. There is always the question with his career over the resources he has had at hand...

Levy may well be just the thing he needs. Again, much like 'Arry, having some restrictions might just bring the best from him.

In all honesty though, as much as I could convince myself of some positives, I really think its just got disaster written all over it. AND, given his being settled in London, his record, and availability, I also think us getting Mourinho is the most likely outcome.

Howe:

Its a no from me. Or, more specifically, a "not yet". Bournemouth just dont display the required steel to show he is ready for a team at our level. They play some lovely football going forwards, Im a big fan and really enjoy what they do. BUT... They are shocking at the back and singularly fail to defend well. They go into every game with the potential to win 4-0, or lose by 4, and thats just not good enough for us.

Ten Haag:

Love what he has been doing at Ajax, and think he should be of serious consideration. The only real hang up I have with him is how Ajax cracked under pressure with us. When things were going well they looked incredible, when things went against them the collapsed. Is this simply because they are such young players? Or is it something in the leadership of the manager? Im inclined to the former, but it is a concern.

That said, his style, his ability to work with young players, and the success he is gathering at Ajax are all things that would suit us very nicely.

Nagelsmann:

I dont know much about him directly, but everything Ive seen/read screams that he is just the sort of guy who would really work well here.

Southgate:

No amount of :ross: could possibly express how laughable this option is.

Dyche:

Been a fan of his since his Watford days, but beginning to think he is a bit of a Moyes, sadly. For a good while I thought of him as a pragmatist, getting the best out of his limited resources. But now he is at a point where I cant help feeling the way Burnley play and set up is by design, not necessity.

Its a no from me.

My slightly left field pick for the job?

Nuno Espirito Santo.

Firstly, his record doesnt make bad reading for a 45 year old coach at all:
Beginnings[edit]
On 21 June 2010, Porto announced Nuno's contract would not be renewed.[16] The 36-year-old said he would always support Porto as he left.[17] After his retirement he rejoined former Porto manager Jesualdo Ferreira, moving to Málaga CF as a goalkeeping coach; the pair signed for Panathinaikos FC in November 2010.[18]

Rio Ave[edit]
In May 2012, Rio Ave F.C. sacked manager Carlos Brito and announced the appointment of Espírito Santo.[19] In his second season in charge, he qualified the team to both the Taça de Portugal and Taça da Liga finals,[20] also taking it to the UEFA Europa League for the first time in its history.

Valencia[edit]
Espírito Santo signed a one-year contract with Valencia CF in La Liga on 4 July 2014, replacing fired Juan Antonio Pizzi.[21] On 12 January 2015, he agreed to an extension to keep him at the club until 2018,[22] and he eventually led it to the fourth place in his first year,[23] highlights including a 2–1 home win over Real Madrid and a 2–2 away draw against the same opponent,[24][25] while he was named La Liga Manager of the Month three times;[26] he resigned on 29 November 2015, following a 0–1 away defeat to Sevilla FC.[27]

Porto[edit]
On 1 June 2016, Espírito Santo signed a two-year contract with Porto, replacing former head coach José Peseiro.[28] The following 22 May, however, after a seasondevoid of silverware which included a second place in the league,[29] he was relieved of his duties.[30]

Wolverhampton Wanderers[edit]
On 31 May 2017, Espírito Santo was named as the new head coach of English Championship side Wolverhampton Wanderers, signing a three-year deal.[31] He was voted the competition's Manager of the Month in November as his team won all four of their games, scoring 13 times.[32]

Espírito Santo led the club to the Premier League after a six-year absence, achieving promotion with four matches remaining in the season[33] and being confirmed as champions with two games to spare.[34] On 10 July 2018, it was announced that his contract had been extended until 2021.[35]

Espírito Santo was awarded the Premier League Manager of the Month title in his second month managing in the English top division[36] after his team went unbeaten in September 2018, accruing ten points from four matches and only conceding one goal. It was the first time that a Wolverhampton Wanderers manager had secured the award, even though it came in the club's fifth season in the competition.

On 4 May 2019, Espírito Santo was awarded an Honorary Doctorate in Sport by the University of Wolverhampton.[37]

Secondly, since he arrived at Wolves, they have consistently played some of the best football in the country. And I say that even when they were a Championship team.

They mostly play as a 3-5-2, but they have a fluid and dynamic system. A very attack oriented team, and one that punches up a hell of a lot.

In their run to the Championship title they were incredible, never letting the pressure get to them.

In their first EPL season they were equally incredible, IMHO, qualifying for the EUROPA league is a massive achievement for a newly promoted side.

Thirdly, he has shown an ability to work with players and form an effective team quickly. When he came in Wolves undertook a big rebuild, and he instantly pulled together a team of new and existing players. He has taken cloggers like Coady and made them better players, someone like Moutinho who doesnt really have the legs any more and accommodated them really effectively, while also taking young attacking players and gelling them all as a team. Young players, old, doesnt matter, he seems to be able to work with them and develop them.

Fourthly, (is that a word?), he is doing so as "coach" more than "manager". Wolves have that weird set up where all their business goes through Jorge Mendes, almost certainly limiting NES' say on matters, and he is doing a great job all the same.

Nagelsmann is going to City as Pep's replacement all reports say. Has been lined up for a while what he's doing now is basically work experience.
Southgate, no chance, no CV or pedigree.

The fact is, if/when Poch does leave we'd need to bring in a manager who has proven he knows what he's doing. Top 4, Champions league finalists with brand new stadiums can't bring in unproven managers and hope what they have done at a smaller club translates. We were that sort of club, thanks to Poch we no longer are, unless we're grooming someone from now like City are, we'll be trying to dine at the top table.

Of the unknown/ up and comers Ten Haag would be most likely if he's good work continues. Ajax are big enough but small enough to steal their manager.

Who we get will likely be heavily swayed by who's out of work at the time.

The Mourinho thing is interesting, and as everyone knows we have a long standing interest in him.

The fact that managing us would be the lowest pressure appointment that he has had in a while, so he'd be under much less stress than he's most recent appointments and more in line with Inter and Chelsea MkI. When thinking about the negatives the Levy factor would seem to mitigate most of them from happening surely. He's not going to sanction big money on older players with any regularity, he'll fully be aware of the T&C's of his appointment, further more it would be a team with a mix of the experience that he seems to want in his teams. There's no scenario where he comes, spends silly money and leaves and we have 10 30+ players on massive wages.

Plus he knows how to win. I can't see us bringing in a manager who hasn't got a CV of winning. With the setup we have, someone on work experience could get us looking decent. What we need is managing from someone who knows what it is like to cross the line.

Ten Haag:

Love what he has been doing at Ajax, and think he should be of serious consideration. The only real hang up I have with him is how Ajax cracked under pressure with us. When things were going well they looked incredible, when things went against them the collapsed. Is this simply because they are such young players? Or is it something in the leadership of the manager? Im inclined to the former, but it is a concern.

That said, his style, his ability to work with young players, and the success he is gathering at Ajax are all things that would suit us very nicely.

Like this and also Nuno Espirito Santo.

I would have liked Brendan Rodgers.

He can be charming and witty, and his time at Porto, Chelsea (2004) and Inter shows he can really bond with players. In his early days at Chelsea he had them playing really dominant, attacking football. Solid at the back, yes, but also with Robben and Duff and co let off the hook. Its the sort of format I think could really work with our squad. Then of course, there is the winning. This guy knows how to win, and how to instil that into his squad. There are plenty of positives to see with Mourinho, if you look for them.

His most recent appointments have all seem him deteriorate into a sneering, horrid, nasty piece of work. The football offered up by his teams has been awful, restrictive, strangle the game to death type affairs. He has publicly berated and alienated players. He has NO history of actually developing players, specifically young ones - which is at odds with how we run as a club. And he has that 'Arry like quality of buying old mercenaries and leaving a club with an unsustainable wage bill and expensive restructure needed...

Seems to me he has a good relationship with Levy. We were interested in him way back in 2004 (2003 maybe) just before his reputation exploded and he went to Chelsea, and Levy is a bit like a Mountie - he always gets his man (eventually). He has also had a nice break, which means he is currently the charming, affable, fun Mourinho. The one who speaks well, seems reasonable, and has enthusiasm. Considering his record, it seems a no brainer...

Ultimately, I cant get past the fact that his MO runs contra to the clubs. He isnt a manager to buy young players and improve them. He isnt a manager that will accept not getting his targets (either "at all" or "on time") and get on with things. He isnt really a manager that works well under pressure, the cracks show pretty quick with him IMO, and at Spurs he wont have the luxury of parachuting into the best team in the league - he'll be under pressure to improve the club.

I would predict he would come in, make us solid, things look good for a while. Then around/after the first summer window things start going sour, his surly and agitating nature returns, and then its a slow demise for his time here...

Mourinho is a manager, more than coach. If he can get the right coaches in around him, things could get interesting. Just as, taking Spurs to the league title would really be his greatest achievement - and I wonder if he might be motivated by that sort of challenge. There is always the question with his career over the resources he has had at hand...

Levy may well be just the thing he needs. Again, much like 'Arry, having some restrictions might just bring the best from him.

In all honesty though, as much as I could convince myself of some positives, I really think its just got disaster written all over it. AND, given his being settled in London, his record, and availability, I also think us getting Mourinho is the most likely outcome.

Interesting that you bring up the Harry comparison to Jose

- Every critic of Harry said he would bankrupt the club, leave us with an unsustainable squad, etc.

People forget we have Levy, who manages the club, he will not allow any manager to destroy the club, at the same time I think he gives his managers a lot more of what they want than he has been given credit for.

I really think "IF" Poch leaves, we cannot afford to appoint a up and coming manager, we would want proven, who could potentially convince the senior players to stay on, and could deliver a trophy or two in short term to get that monkey off our back.

Interesting that you bring up the Harry comparison to Jose

- Every critic of Harry said he would bankrupt the club, leave us with an unsustainable squad, etc.

People forget we have Levy, who manages the club, he will not allow any manager to destroy the club, at the same time I think he gives his managers a lot more of what they want than he has been given credit for.

I really think "IF" Poch leaves, we cannot afford to appoint a up and coming manager, we would want proven, who could potentially convince the senior players to stay on, and could deliver a trophy or two in short term to get that monkey off our back.

I think there is a lot in common with Arry and Jose, to be honest. In general terms/themes rather than specifics.

Likes to buy in, likes established players, loves a transfer and will spend as much as you let him...

I do agree Levy is much more accommodating than he is given credit for, and he will look after the clubs interests above all else (sometimes to the frustration of managers/fans but I wouldnt have it any other way myself).

Thing is, it did ultimately go sour with Arry, because his natural tendencies came through stronger the more we progressed under him. His ego ultimately undid his time here.

I cant see Mourinho any different. Well, except that I think he will reach that point sooner - he will be much less inclined to go with youth etc IMO and will want to buy more finished article players.

Im actually very happy with an up and coming manager. Offer me a choice between Nuno Espirito Santo or Mourinho, and Ill go for the former very happily.

I like the idea of passion, enthusiasm, innovation... And, being honest, the element of unknown.

With Mourinho we know exactly what we will be getting.

To be honest, I think if Mourinho is to have a top level career and success from here on, rather than being yesterdays man as he is increasingly looking, he needs to have a make over. And, IMO, he needs to follow Fergies model.

Mourinho as a Manager, removed from the training, seen as the ultimate authority and able to rotate his training staff to implement new ideas... I think that suits him. BUT he has to be willing to innovate, and to take that secondary role. Be the authority, not be in the weeds...

I think there is a lot in common with Arry and Jose, to be honest. In general terms/themes rather than specifics.

Likes to buy in, likes established players, loves a transfer and will spend as much as you let him...

I do agree Levy is much more accommodating than he is given credit for, and he will look after the clubs interests above all else (sometimes to the frustration of managers/fans but I wouldnt have it any other way myself).

Thing is, it did ultimately go sour with Arry, because his natural tendencies came through stronger the more we progressed under him. His ego ultimately undid his time here.

I cant see Mourinho any different. Well, except that I think he will reach that point sooner - he will be much less inclined to go with youth etc IMO and will want to buy more finished article players.

Im actually very happy with an up and coming manager. Offer me a choice between Nuno Espirito Santo or Mourinho, and Ill go for the former very happily.

I like the idea of passion, enthusiasm, innovation... And, being honest, the element of unknown.

With Mourinho we know exactly what we will be getting.

To be honest, I think if Mourinho is to have a top level career and success from here on, rather than being yesterdays man as he is increasingly looking, he needs to have a make over. And, IMO, he needs to follow Fergies model.

Mourinho as a Manager, removed from the training, seen as the ultimate authority and able to rotate his training staff to implement new ideas... I think that suits him. BUT he has to be willing to innovate, and to take that secondary role. Be the authority, not be in the weeds...

Honestly if it was purely up to me (making Levy's decisions)

- I'd take Jose for two years (you can for PR say it's a 4 year contract or whatever), but I'd negotiate it all up front with him, 2 years, a specific transfer budget, goal of x number of trophies
- If he achieves the goals in 2 years, bonus out and mutually part ways, he can go to PSG or Portugal or whatever.

The club has achieved everything but a trophy for the last 5-7 years, it's important for the brand to have something to validate that success, raise the PR further.

People like Nuno will have same risk of learning curve of competition at a different level, with different level of players and different expectations. Too much risk for me. Jose or Allegri are too much of a given quality being available to go another route (if it is in short term)

- I'd take Jose for two years (you can for PR say it's a 4 year contract or whatever), but I'd negotiate it all up front with him, 2 years, a specific transfer budget, goal of x number of trophies
- If he achieves the goals in 2 years, bonus out and mutually part ways, he can go to PSG or Portugal or whatever.

The club has achieved everything but a trophy for the last 5-7 years, it's important for the brand to have something to validate that success, raise the PR further.

People like Nuno will have same risk of learning curve of competition at a different level, with different level of players and different expectations. Too much risk for me. Jose or Allegri are too much of a given quality being available to go another route (if it is in short term)
Sorry to derail the thread, but how much did you say you wanted for your grandma?

Im far less preoccupied with winning a trophy as I am playing good football and enjoying watching the team play.

Jose on his best behaviour for two years isnt the end of the world, but trophy/no trophy (and despite his record, no guarantee of one), youre still looking at what next? Two seasons down the line.

Id rather another Poch type appointment that can do well when he comes in, develop with the team, and give us stability for a decent period.

Genuinely would prefer NES to Mourinho if that was what was on the table right now.

Im far less preoccupied with winning a trophy as I am playing good football and enjoying watching the team play.

Jose on his best behaviour for two years isnt the end of the world, but trophy/no trophy (and despite his record, no guarantee of one), youre still looking at what next? Two seasons down the line.

Id rather another Poch type appointment that can do well when he comes in, develop with the team, and give us stability for a decent period.

Genuinely would prefer NES to Mourinho if that was what was on the table right now.

Both have logic ..

- one logic is continue the organic model of growth
- the other is buy (at some cost) a short term success that could raise the profile of the club even further at the potential cost of a reset season in 2-3 years.

The truth is Levy has been amazingly successful at Spurs by every measure except trophies, the risk with organic growth from here is it will not deliver with this generation of the squad. The hardest thing to find is players who score goals consistently at highest level, are we willing to bring in another project manager who may not be able to get success in the next two years? two more years of no trophies could mean Kane, Son, Dele, Toby, Jan will all have to be replaced, then those new players will have to fit in .. how many years is that?

He WILL want to spend hundreds of millions. We can't afford him. Period !!!

Both have logic ..

- one logic is continue the organic model of growth
- the other is buy (at some cost) a short term success that could raise the profile of the club even further at the potential cost of a reset season in 2-3 years.

The truth is Levy has been amazingly successful at Spurs by every measure except trophies, the risk with organic growth from here is it will not deliver with this generation of the squad. The hardest thing to find is players who score goals consistently at highest level, are we willing to bring in another project manager who may not be able to get success in the next two years? two more years of no trophies could mean Kane, Son, Dele, Toby, Jan will all have to be replaced, then those new players will have to fit in .. how many years is that?

The flaw with your argument is simple, there is no guarantee Mourinho (for example, seen Allegri as an alternative) delivers a trophy.

Though there is a guarantee he spends significantly to try and do so.

Conversely, who is to say a "model of growth" appointment doesnt have the impact of taking us all the way?

The leap forward we took under Poch, imagine if he came into the quality of squad we have now and performed similarly?

Not that one way is right and one is wrong, as you say both have logic - but I dont think its as simple as you speculate.

I also think, when you look at Levy, what is the more likely route for him to follow? Id wager the sustainable approach he has followed all this time...

As others have said and Poch himself, our current model has/did have a shelf life. If we don't push on to winning trophies we face being in the situation Arsenal find themselves in, looking behind to the up and comers rather than forward towards the top table.

Which is why I can't see our next manager being less established. We can't afford for someone to be learning on the job. If we're going to go that route the successor needs to be in post within the club now managing the u23's or something.

Again whoever comes in, no chance they get one over on Levy finances wise. You think the man who charged Lyon for Lloris shirts would let any manager overspend?

Back