1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Next Spurs Manager

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by metalgear, 28 Sep 2019.

1. lurker of old

lurker of old Luke Young

We're currently the worst team in the league, whether you like it or not.

Sadly this may almost be true, even if we are not yet in the bottom half of the table.

2. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Jimmy Neighbour

That’s a slight exaggeration... as statistically we’re actually only the 6th worst side in the league...

upload_2019-10-20_18-55-30.png

3. scaramanga

scaramanga Steve Sedgley Staff Member

Is playing badly but succeeding despite performances taking steps forward? I'd argue not.

It's long-term, repeatable success that I want for us. Staggering our way to a cup final we didn't even compete in, in the middle of 12 months of barely looking any better than Burnley is not my idea of success.

Last edited: 20 Oct 2019
    Mikey10, SylDave, Bishop and 6 others like this.
  4. thfcsteff

thfcsteff Barry Daines Staff Member

Here you go, a choice for all the naysayers.

Poch stays two more years minimum and gets the chance to rebuild, or you can turf him next Tuesday and unveil this man for the short-term "bounce"... NINTCHDBPICT0004527296541.jpg

...yeah.

I didn't think so.

5. thfcsteff

thfcsteff Barry Daines Staff Member

Perhaps one of the kinder critics here could write Poch a letter, enclose this photo and ask if he would adopt a few more of this "football genius"s methods and ways, starting with a baseball cap and mouth constantly hanging open spewing volumous instructions?

6. ricky2tricky4city

ricky2tricky4city Michael Carrick

My step forward word has magically morphed into success?

Steps forward are valuable, especially experience of the big game, when you take that step again, hopefully the previous experience proves valuable. Not success itself but a step to success.

Only Leicester have really bypassed any steps to success in recent years, nearly all other teams pay their dues.

7. Jon

Jon Alf Ramsey

I recall we actually lost to Burnley!

scaramanga likes this.
  8. scaramanga

scaramanga Steve Sedgley Staff Member

Replace the word success with "step forward" if you like - I stand by the point in the same way for the same reasons.

9. glasgowspur

glasgowspur Alf Ramsey

Go on then show us one actual, meaningfull, measurable stat to back up that we are the worst team in the league.
    Just one.

10. nayimfromthehalfwayline

nayimfromthehalfwayline Nayim

Steff this is a ridiculous post.

Also I think Wenger might well do better than Poch right now.

Pirate55, DeanoAustin and Yermiyahu like this.
  11. Finney Is Back

Finney Is Back Dean Richards

That's about £10 million per appearance. ;)

12. Finney Is Back

Egyptian pounds?

13. Finney Is Back

While Poch set up the team in a 3-5-2 Jan and (especially) Alderweireld were given loads of license to get forward. I think there were at least 4 occasions when Alderweireld found himself in a fantastic position to deliver a decent ball and failed.

Again, I think people are getting too sidetracked by our formations. The problem is our performances (much of which is coming from being far too safe on the ball) as opposed to whatever formation we are playing.

glasgowspur and parklane1 like this.
  14. Finney Is Back

I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that we were completely outplayed by Watford. We were comprehensively outplayed by Brighton and Emirates Marketing Project in the league this season, but haven't been in any of our other games so far. We haven't looked good or played well but I'm not sure we have deserved to be on the losing side to anyone other than Emirates Marketing Project and Brighton (although I must confess that I haven't checked the XG numbers for Saturday's game).

15. parklane1

parklane1 Chris Jones

This.

16. Finney Is Back

I don't think he's come and manage us mate.

17. lurker of old

lurker of old Luke Young

While Poch set up the team in a 3-5-2 Jan and (especially) Alderweireld were given loads of license to get forward.
    Partly resulting in Watford's goal sadly. We shouldn't be parking the bus against Watford but the ability to do so against Liverpool would be handy.

18. Finney Is Back

Disagree completely. Watford's goal was entirely avoidable if either of Alderweireld or Sanchez had acted in a similar way to Jan.... (or the same way that most reasonably competent centre halves would've reacted). The ball out to Janmaat was a good one and Janmaat's first touch and cross were both excellent, but there is no reason for Sanchez and Alderweireld not to be back level with Jan at this point and, if they are level with Jan, then Dacoure isn't going to get a shot in there.

In what way do you feel that we were parking the bus against Watford? Or are you naively assuming that playing 3 at the back is automatically more defensive playing a formation without 3 at the back?

19. Bullet

Bullet Rafael Van Der Vaart

This! Doucoure was standing next to Sissy and Toby. Doucoure ran towards goal IN CASE Janmaat beat Rose and puts a good cross in... whilst Sissy and Toby walked and jogged, waiting to see if Rose cut the ball out. When Rose missed it, Toby started to accelerate but Sissy was out of the race by then.

I've seen this many times with "5 at the back". Nobody takes responsibility, everyone thinks "the other guy" will sort it out. Meanwhile Sanchez can't sense the danger because Doucoure isn't near him so he thinks all is fine and dandy.

Whereas with 442 it is clear that the defender's job is to defend i.e. YOU are the centre back so sprint backwards IN CASE Janmaat beats Rose and puts a good cross in.

Last edited: 21 Oct 2019
  20. Raziel

Raziel John Lacy

Math is last season worth of games we have a return that would put us in about 14th