• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

We badly need Lamela back. We have missed his tenacity and work rate in the team. He can really lift the team when he is in best form. Hope he will be fully fit soon. It is going to be interesting what Mourinho can do with Lamela.

he makes Anderton look like an ever present. I like him as a player but he cannot stay fit for longer than 5-8 games.

Lets see when he doesn't have Poch's training breaking him.

Dembele left because of the training killing him, not the PL.

It's probably both.
But if Poch's training was all that why are our guys still so unfit?
Only Sissoko Aurier and Moura look fit coming off the bench.
It's a question of mentality and personal discipline. Alli yesterday at times looked like he was playing with a hangover.

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Didn’t we see Lamela miss nearly a season before Poch even started? I just don’t think he is built for the PL as much as you want to make his demise all about Poch.

The point is when you have players that have specific problems (see Ledley King example), you need to train them differently to help them.

Poch had two cases, Lamela and Dembele (neither was his fault re original injuries) but he did not make adjustments for them, despite their obvious value to the team (Dembele has specifically come out and said he left Spurs because his body could not take Poch's training sessions). Just bad management of two players who could have saved his job.

The point is when you have players that have specific problems (see Ledley King example), you need to train them differently to help them.

Poch had two cases, Lamela and Dembele (neither was his fault re original injuries) but he did not make adjustments for them, despite their obvious value to the team (Dembele has specifically come out and said he left Spurs because his body could not take Poch's training sessions). Just bad management of two players who could have saved his job.

Poch used very intensive training to get players to peak at specific points in the season. When it worked, it was very effective and we played our best football of the modern era but I think that there is a case for saying that it burnt some players out and is a factor in where we find ourselves now.

Poch used very intensive training to get players to peak at specific points in the season. When it worked, it was very effective and we played our best football of the modern era but I think that there is a case for saying that it burnt some players out and is a factor in where we find ourselves now.

This, it worked when the squad was under 24 and they were not carrying knocks

It has seemed to burn out players physically and mentally and often our side seems exhausted early in games, really hope Jose can back off the training intensity and allow the guys some recovery.

His mentor had the same challenge follow him around most of his career, methods work for a while then kill the players ..

This, it worked when the squad was under 24 and they were not carrying knocks

It has seemed to burn out players physically and mentally and often our side seems exhausted early in games, really hope Jose can back off the training intensity and allow the guys some recovery.

His mentor had the same challenge follow him around most of his career, methods work for a while then kill the players ..

To be fair, I think that most manager's approaches decrease in effectiveness after a few seasons.

Poch might have been ok if we rebuilt the squad when he asked. Delaying it a year made a difficult situation worse.

It is an interesting side effect though that, our model of signing young, developing and selling for a profit. When we found a manager who was happy to work with young players, he would leave you with broken players, in their mid-twenties, with limited resale value.

I agree with you about mental exhaustion @Raziel. There was an emotional intensity to Poch's sides that really seemed to take it out of some players. He rung everything he could out of them.

I thought Poch did say how Lamela needed to be carefully managed and how he trained differently, due to his injuries.
I can't recall when that was though, so perhaps the recognition of this came a bit too late.

That’s true. It was both a positive and a negative. The positive was we really hit our stride from October - March which put us in pole position to achieve top 4. The downside being we were crap at the beginning and the end of most seasons. Meant we had to pretty much win every single league game from week 6 - 30 to have any chance of winning the league.

That’s true. It was both a positive and a negative. The positive was we really hit our stride from October - March which put us in pole position to achieve top 4. The downside being we were crap at the beginning and the end of most seasons. Meant we had to pretty much win every single league game from week 6 - 30 to have any chance of winning the league.

It worked out pretty well for him because our league finishes were good under him. It must've been knackering for the players.

I think we would have problem if we decided to sell Lamela, i doubt many clubs would spend big money on a player who is always getting injured.

27-Year-Old Attacker Linked With Move Away From Tottenham Hotspur

Follow @insidefutbol

Erik Lamela’s future at Tottenham Hotspur is a source of speculation as he has been linked with potentially moving on from the north London club in the winter transfer window, according to The Athletic.

The 27-year-old winger has been enduring another injury-stricken season and only recently returned to the squad following recovering from a hamstring problem.

He came on for a cameo in Tottenham’s 2-2 draw at Norwich City last weekend, but the jury is out on whether he will be able to earn a sustained run of games due to his injury problems.

Tottenham have seen Lamela miss significant game time due to injury issues and could decide to cash in if an offer arrives in January.

The winger is being linked with a move away from the north London giants, but it remains to be seen who his takers might be.

Lamela's stock remains high in Italy, where he turned out for Roma before his move to Tottenham.

The Argentina international is due to turn 28 years old in March, but injury issues mean it is unclear whether he will be able to stay fit enough to perform consistently at his peak.

Tottenham signed the winger from Serie A giants Roma and he has made 201 appearances for the club over the last six-and-a-half seasons.

Back