• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Moving to Europe

I've seen a lot of improvement at the top end - Borgo Agnese is one of my favourite restaurants anywhere, not just in Brno.

From my experience though, your average place still relies on cabbage and grey pork as its staple fare. The lunch diners around the industrial estates do some decent stuff for pennies though. What's that Goulash type thing they do?

Quite possibly Svickova I'd think.
Portfolio in Prague is quickly turning into my favourite place to visit, fairly new but has a really good choice and getting a name for itself now.
The Jidelna's (lunch diner) can be brilliant if you get a decent one that's for sure :)

Most traditional places will still offer the basic goulash, ribs, pork neck or knee etc etc but choosing the right place (as always) makes a big difference in what you get provided - there is nothing quite like sitting down in a good pub and enjoying a nice cold unfiltered Plsen with a quality venison dish and wasting away the hours.

Beer Gardens will be open soon too, happy-days..

Massive pedantry alert but if you're in the UK at present then you already live in Europe, we may have left the union but haven't quite thrown ourselves out of the continent just yet!

As said though, there isn't as much of a language barrier as you think in many of the countries. I lived in Prague for a year and a half and found generally that unless you've got 100% pronunciation it's not worth trying to speak the local languauge, a lot easier to be "ignorant" unless you invest some serious time and thought in to slavic languages and how they differ. Lived in France where I found the lingo a lot easier to pick up, lots more cognates so once you get the grammar and structure half of the time it's the same word but frenched up a bit.

Sorry to hear you're not having the best of it though

Where. The fudge. Have you been?

Edit: And also where's your Bro nowadays?

Most people under the age of 60 speaks English quite well over here (Norway). Not so sure about the "happiest in the world" bit, to be honest, sounds like bollox to me, we freeze 70% of the year over here, most people keep to themselves and don't like talking to strangers. Hard to generalize, of course. Depending on what kind of work you do, there might be work for you here though. I live close to a business dense area, and pretty much only hear English / Spanish / French / Hindi /Arabic on my morning travels.
Listen I read on internet that Norway is really fudging happy so stop moaning and be happy ffs.;)

Come over to Australia, it's great here. Plenty of work if you want it (like most 1st world countries there are enough parasites and wasters who can't be bothered working so that leaves jobs for those that want them), great weather, fantastic lifestyle, beer is brick though so you'll have to do a lot of testing to find one you like. Also, they can nearly speak English, apart from a few stupid sayings, putting an "O" on the end of a shortened name to describe things (bottle'o, Servo, Ambo etc ) and Americanising some stuff, they can speak the Queen's English to a reasonable standard.

Remember though, we have 9 out of the 10 deadliest snakes in the world here, the most deadly Jellyfish in the world and spiders the size of small dogs!!!!

Oh, you also get to laugh at their cricket team.

Mate of mine moved to Norway a few years ago (for his missus and their kids) - he hates it. I've visited many times and think it's great over there.

Not Europe and not many language barriers I know... but I'm getting married to a Canadian very soon, I like that I'll have the option to leg it over there someday.

Come over to Australia, it's great here. Plenty of work if you want it (like most 1st world countries there are enough parasites and wasters who can't be bothered working so that leaves jobs for those that want them), great weather, fantastic lifestyle, beer is brick though so you'll have to do a lot of testing to find one you like. Also, they can nearly speak English, apart from a few stupid sayings, putting an "O" on the end of a shortened name to describe things (bottle'o, Servo, Ambo etc ) and Americanising some stuff, they can speak the Queen's English to a reasonable standard.

Remember though, we have 9 out of the 10 deadliest snakes in the world here, the most deadly Jellyfish in the world and spiders the size of small dogs!!!!

He said he was uninspired, not desperate. :)

Thanks for all the responses guys, lots of really useful information in here and loads of food for thought.
My only experience of emigrating was to the US and they like to put lots of hurdles in the way for immigrants. And it cost me thousands to move and then move back, so scared of it not working out and being stuck. That said, I'm nearly 35 and live in a shared house!

I will definitely learn the language of somewhere i move to, my concern is just the interim period as my work is office based. (performance analyst).

And then finding somewhere i can afford to rent on my own with a reduced salary for a while.

Sadly I'm not eligible.
I turn 35 in June and don't have a degree so I'm 5 points short of being eligible. Otherwise I'd probably already have done so!

Thanks for all the responses guys, lots of really useful information in here and loads of food for thought.
My only experience of emigrating was to the US and they like to put lots of hurdles in the way for immigrants. And it cost me thousands to move and then move back, so scared of it not working out and being stuck. That said, I'm nearly 35 and live in a shared house!

I will definitely learn the language of somewhere i move to, my concern is just the interim period as my work is office based. (performance analyst).

And then finding somewhere i can afford to rent on my own with a reduced salary for a while.

An English speaking company, based in a European city is the way to go. You'll have a decent job, paying well, and be able to work in English while learning the local lingo. Spanish is one of the easier languages to learn and quite a few international companies based out there.

Houses are far cheaper than the uk too with cheap flights back. Can also use somewhere like Barcelona as a base to explore. Everywhere from morocco to Prague etc has cheap flights to Barcelona so can pop to new cities for a weekend easily.

What am I doing here! [emoji23]

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Where. The fudge. Have you been?

Edit: And also where's your Bro nowadays?

I have been lurking more than anything of late, I have plenty to say but don't think that all of you bastards deserve my wisdom ;)

The broseph is probably pretending he's too busy to post and his output was generally way below par anyway so it's probably for the best*

*Here's hoping he reads this!

I've always wondered out of days and month in a typical city how often do you see any kind of snake or the times you've got to swipe a spider away.

I've always wondered out of days and month in a typical city how often do you see any kind of snake or the times you've got to swipe a spider away.

I was in Sydney for a year, saw a few huntsmen, couple of redback's but no snakes. Found a white-tail in my bed once and plenty of Black House spiders. I actively went searching for funnel webs and didn't come across one.

I did have a hairy moment in Saudi Sportswashing Machine where a redback was in my hoodie and crawled up onto my neck. Didn't get bitten though.

I was in Sydney for a year, saw a few huntsmen, couple of redback's but no snakes. Found a white-tail in my bed once and plenty of Black House spiders. I actively went searching for funnel webs and didn't come across one.

I did have a hairy moment in Saudi Sportswashing Machine where a redback was in my hoodie and crawled up onto my neck. Didn't get bitten though.
That does not sound like a place where human beings should be living.

I was thinking about moving to Australia when I was younger, but too late now. Anyway - how often would you say you come across a deadly snake/spider living in a city over there? I don't think I'd cope too well living a place where I'd have to keep a lookout for brick like that. :p One of the good things about Norway - we've got a few wolves and bears here (but none of them have killed any people since 1901), but apart from that, nothing to worry about, really.

Holy shi.t

I am not going there

What with climate change and all, these are coming ashore in Queensland ...

shark-australia.jpg

I was thinking about moving to Australia when I was younger, but too late now. Anyway - how often would you say you come across a deadly snake/spider living in a city over there? I don't think I'd cope too well living a place where I'd have to keep a lookout for brick like that. :p One of the good things about Norway - we've got a few wolves and bears here (but none of them have killed any people since 1901), but apart from that, nothing to worry about, really.

Up here in Queensland you might see a snake twice a year, unfortunately there are brown snakes in the area I live on the Gold Coast. Generally they keep themselves to themselves but there are probably a couple of bites a month reported on people but quite a few pets get bitten as they go looking in the bushes and brick.
Spiders, loads of them. Huntsmen are ugly buggers but actually reasonably harmless, but boy are they quick!! oh, and they also jump at you when you go to kill them. Redbacks are more dangerous and everywhere but you really need to annoy them before they'll bite. Always check your shoes before putting them on as they love to find a home inside them. Even the bloody ants are dangerous, got bitten on Saturday by an ant (bull ant or green ant) and arm swelled up the size of a tennis ball, now on antibiotics to stop the "poison" spreading.

Apart from that the most dangerous thing on the Coast are the sharks, but I try and stay away from their habitat!!

Back