• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Moussa Sissoko

Been looking at some general comparisons in our play over the last 3 seasons...and its not nice reading.

based purely on average number of shots we make and concede per game:

Ave shots per game 16-17: 17.62; 17-18 16.78; 18-19 13.91; 19-20 14.00
Ave shots per game on target: 16-17 6.51; 17-18 5.82; 18-19 5.05 19-20 4.86

So we were getting on average 17 shots at goal (with 6.5) on target in 2016/17 but this number has dropped to 14 (and 4.86) now....the % of shots on target is relatively similar so its not as if our shooting has got worse - its purely the number of shots we are achieving.

Even more significantly with shots faced......

ave Total shots per game 16-17 9.42; 17-18 9.38; 18-19 12.28; 19-20 16.43
ave Shots on target: 16-17 3.08; 17-18 3.40; 18-19 4.21; 19-20 6.14

so we are facing nearly the double the amount of shots at us per game this season than we were even in 2017-18.

Now I know that this season is a relatively small sample and will be skewed by fact we have played Emirates Marketing Project away but these stats show that, and excuse me for stating the bleeding obvious, over a 3-year trend we are having less shots whilst facing significantly more at our goal and therefore far less likely to win matches.

Our possession stats do not deviate that much; in both 16-17 and 17-18 we averaged 62% possession in games which dipped to 57% last season and has jumped slightly to 59% so far this season.

It needed extending otherwise we'd have yet another person starting to think about walking for free....however he wouldnt have been top of my priority list to get done....so hopefully more following in the next couple weeks

I cant lie, I am very disappointed to see this - if the intention is he is integral to the team the next few seasons.

If its simply protecting asset value then I dont really care.
We will need players like Sissoko as squad players as the incoming players quality level rises. He's basically looks like a person that won't give the boss much aggro and will give his absolute all when asked.

The one caveat being that hopefully he can show form when only playing a game now and then.

Edit: and no, I don't think he is integral to the team going forward ( no pun intended)

We will need players like Sissoko as squad players as the incoming players quality level rises. He's basically looks like a person that won't give the boss much aggro and will give his absolute all when asked.

The one caveat being that hopefully he can show form when only playing a game now and then.

Edit: and no, I don't think he is integral to the team going forward ( no pun intended)

I completely get the benefit of a hard working, no flimflam character around the squad. I can well see him being seen as some sort of mentor, leader even around conduct behind the scenes. He certainly doesnt seem anything short of impeccably professional.

BUT, I dont think he should be in the team now, and in a year or two when we have (hopefully!) improved further, I just dont see how he would be involved in any meaningful way.

Hence my thinking, if this is a statement of intent for things to come - Im really quite disappointed.

Most likely though, IMO, this is simple business. Pushing his contract out a couple of years means he doesnt leave any cheaper than we want him to when the time comes.

I completely get the benefit of a hard working, no flimflam character around the squad. I can well see him being seen as some sort of mentor, leader even around conduct behind the scenes. He certainly doesnt seem anything short of impeccably professional.

BUT, I dont think he should be in the team now, and in a year or two when we have (hopefully!) improved further, I just dont see how he would be involved in any meaningful way.

Hence my thinking, if this is a statement of intent for things to come - Im really quite disappointed.

Most likely though, IMO, this is simple business. Pushing his contract out a couple of years means he doesnt leave any cheaper than we want him to when the time comes.

I think its simply sound business. He's a bit like Lamela - not good enough to be in the team if we're at the level which we aspire to be, but has a good attitude and doesnt cause problems so not a bad squad option to have. It might that he, like Lamela, comes to a decision that he doesnt want his career to peter out on our bench and look to leave in a year or two if not playing so much

Good news, we need players who give it their all in games and he does that very well.

giphy.gif

A 4 year deal for a 30 year old completely reliant on their physicality? No reason not to offer Jan at least a 3 year deal then.

Back