1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Moussa Sissoko

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by Jordinho, 31 Aug 2016.

1. scaramanga

scaramanga Jimmy Cantrell Staff Member

When Sissoko plays we avoid the area of the pitch he's in - that's how we don't lose (I've posted the heat maps to show that).

What we are doing is reducing our chances of a better result. Most matches we play I'm a clearly the better team and can afford a dummy to pass around on the pitch, when he matches are tougher he runs a real risk to us.

2. scaramanga

If we loaned him to another club he might get more playing time. In which case his value would drop further.

DeanoAustin and galeforce like this.
  3. galeforce

galeforce Steve Sedgley

Not all of the game is played with the ball, and actions off of it are far more influential to the result.

4. BrainOfLevy

BrainOfLevy Chris Armstrong

Like when he started in the Bernabau or played the majority of the 3-1 win at Wembley?

I think you must be joking now, but you must appreciate how difficult top level football and how obvious a poor player would stand out and affect our results. You are stretching so much now. 3-0 win at Burnley last year. 3-0 win at Everton. 3-0 up at West Ham before we went down to ten men. Those are just some of the good results off the top of my head that I can remember he started.

5. scaramanga

I get that. If Sissoko were making the right runs (and if our players had confidence in him) then him seeing the ball would naturally follow.

And I don't buy the argument that he's defensively strong because of his reading of the game or positioning because what I see is a player that uses his physical advantage to defend. More intelligent players don't need to use their strength or pace.

The only argument of his intangible benefit that I can see is of adding a general bit of extra strength to the team. Not in a way that he uses it in individual battles, more as a collective mass - that it's better to be the stronger of the two teams.

6. BrainOfLevy

Also the heat map thing is easily explained by wanting to target Yedlin when we attack. It worked. If you get a heat map like that it’s usually the result of a concerted plan from the coaches to target one flank or the other, or the middle. No doubt we don’t want Sissoko being our main creative outlet. We want him shutting down the opposition. I suppose it can be spun as ‘the whole team wants to avoid him’ but that would again be nonsense.

7. scaramanga

All despite him. Just think how good we could be with a footballer in his place.

Bullet likes this.
  8. scaramanga

Yet it fits in well with having seen players look up at him, see him free, look the other way at a load of defenders and choose getting through them as the better option.

Bullet likes this.
  9. BrainOfLevy

Aaaaaaand that’s me for the night. Good chatting with you man. :)

10. galeforce

galeforce Steve Sedgley

Is there no logic in having a bit of strength and pace for when the “more intelligent” players make a mistake and the ball is turned over with an inadequate defensive set?

Robspur12 likes this.
  11. thfcsteff

thfcsteff Luka Modric Staff Member

Is this the right time to let Scara know that Sissoko was actually born in Liverpool before moving as a child?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

12. nayimfromthehalfwayline

nayimfromthehalfwayline Steffen Iversen

That particular heatmap was completely one sided.

I understand the concept of targeting a perceived weakness (and Yedlin as a defender is certainly that), but I cant believe any manager would dictate his team play almost exclusively on one side like that heatmap shows.

i dont quite agree with Scara in that its them not wanting to pass to him (though it has happened), I think its more that he simply wasnt in the right areas at the right times. We had a bloody great hole in that area, where he needed to be running beyond Aurier etc.

13. Gilzeantoscore

Gilzeantoscore Roman Pavlyuchenko

Just read Brave New World. To say that Poch was underwhelmed by Sissoko when he came into the club is an understatement, he even questioned his intelligence, when Sissoko suggested to the media that maybe results would improve if the team went back to White Hart Lane for the champion's league games. He didn't even know that the ground didn't met minimum uefa standards for CL games.

14. scaramanga

The more intelligent/skillful players we have, the less we lose the ball.

15. galeforce

galeforce Steve Sedgley

yes, but until that number is zero we need to build in some failsafe

16. scaramanga

Sanchez, Vertonghen, Diet, etc.

We have plenty of physical players who can defend and also have technical ability. I'm a not Stoke or Wimbledon, we can attract players who are both strong and able to play football.

17. GinolaGinolaGinola

GinolaGinolaGinola Dean Richards

18. AjaxDeSuperYids

AjaxDeSuperYids Peter Taylor

19. nayimfromthehalfwayline

nayimfromthehalfwayline Steffen Iversen

This is the thing - his defensive ability* is promoted as if its completely lacking in the side and as such he is a vital ingredient.

Both false. Its his best attribute, no question, but its not superior to our other regular midfielders who all have a lot to offer besides.

*He is very good, IMO, in a basic Scott Parkeresque "sit in our half and break up anything that comes over the half way line" capacity. I dont think he has superior positioning, tackling technique, or anything like that, I think we have plenty of players who can do the job. His physicality does allow him to cover a big area though. Useful if we are literally all camped in the oppo half an need insurance.

scaramanga likes this.
  20. RunTMC

RunTMC John Gorman

When you watch him play you can see he's not the most technically gifted with the ball at his feet. You can almost feel his nervousness so he get rid of it quickly like it's a hot potato.

He gets slated as an extremely poor player devoid of any skill or technique.

I was curious to see how this reflected in his stats. Overall his stats aren't particularly great but there were a few interesting things i discovered:

These are mainly per 90 mins from last years EPL:

Avg passing length: 15 metres. Fairly short by footballing standards but from comments you would think he couldn't manage 2 or 3 yards
    Pass completion: 84%. Pretty middle of the road but higher than i expected actually. For reference Dier 86%, Son 85%. He's certainly no Dembele who's a gangsta at 92%

Now here's what i found really interesting:

Key passes: 1.7 per game. For reference Son 1.16, Lamela 1.44, Alli 1.54, Eriksen 2.19
    Chances created: 1.76 per game. For reference Son 1.4, Lamela 1.55, Alli 1.86, Eriksen 2.48

I was thinking what the hell??? Seriously?

I know stats don't tell a full story but the story here is that we have someone who plays short, quick passes and many of them key passes and creates loads of chances! Who knew! He's a beast and our new Eriksen replacement! :D:D:p