• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mousa Dembele

What really impressed me yesterday was his skill and ball control, he made drifting pass players look so easy. He has totally mastered the body swerve

http://www.spurs-web.com/spurs-news/vertonghen-praises-dembele/?

Jan Vertonghen was full of praise for fellow Belgian international Mousa Dembele who came into the side to replace the suspended Eric Dier and put in a man-of-the-match performance in the holding midfield role.

“I spoke to him this week,” he said.

“Obviously we have got some injuries and suspensions, he was ready to play and I think he is one of the best midfielders in the Premier League and I think everyone agrees on that, he is a nightmare to play against and a joy to play with him.

“I gave him some bad balls and wanted to say sorry but then he quickly turns and throws some of the midfielders in the stands, he is an unbelievable player and I hope he can stay fit, I hope he is back now for the rest of the season.”

http://www.spurs-web.com/spurs-news/vertonghen-praises-dembele/?

Jan Vertonghen was full of praise for fellow Belgian international Mousa Dembele who came into the side to replace the suspended Eric Dier and put in a man-of-the-match performance in the holding midfield role.

“I spoke to him this week,” he said.

“Obviously we have got some injuries and suspensions, he was ready to play and I think he is one of the best midfielders in the Premier League and I think everyone agrees on that, he is a nightmare to play against and a joy to play with him.

“I gave him some bad balls and wanted to say sorry but then he quickly turns and throws some of the midfielders in the stands, he is an unbelievable player and I hope he can stay fit, I hope he is back now for the rest of the season.”

I have to agree with Vertonghen. Dembele is one of the best midfielders in the PL when it comes to dribbling past players. But the problem with Dembele is he is too inconsistent. He can be one of our key players if he can perform consistently. Also, wish Dembele can score more goals for all his dribbling skills. Still remember his debut for us when he came on as a sub to score a brilliant goal. Thought he will score more goals like that for us but it has not been so since then.

He was excellent yesterday. I reckon he should be our Left DM and Mason Right DM, with Dier as understudy, when all are fit.
Dembele still has to be more progressive, getting into the box, forward passes and perhaps taking fewer touches once he is in command of the ball, he is aware of this but just needs to deliver, even if occasionally the pass goes astray. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
If he and Eriksen could forge a technical understanding with Mason's running power we have the makings of an excellent all round midfield. With Son, Kane and another striker or Lamela in a fluid role would be very exciting.

Dembele is a conundrum wrapped up in an enigma. Has all the tools but doesn't use them often enough. A great shot, superb close control and the ability to both hold the ball and beat players.I think he should be played against the top teams in one of the front three positions as he adds immeasurable strength to our pressing from the front. In those games we should sacafice either Lamela or Chadli for him.

Constantly finding myself reevaluating my position on him - ultimately though i think he's probably got the season to prove himself valuable to the manager otherwise it's unlikely he'll be offered a new contract and not sold - ideally he'll do that and he and Dier will provide the competition for one part of our central midfield options which would mean another position sorted for the next few years.

I think after the summer window it's clear that Poch isn't interested in passengers or those not suited to his style, and for now at least it looks like he and the chairman are on the same page in that respect, so all in all it's not much to worry about - either he proves himself and stays or doesn't and leaves

He always has outstanding dribbling stats and his ball retention is excellent. There key against attacking sides as possession is beneficial and vital. I'm seeing he has consistently better stats than Ronaldo and Messi for dribbling

Where he suffers is his impact passing. His passing is safe and simple and invariably revolves around having beaten a few players. That's great when in the defensive role but can be an issue in the attacking 3 against the weaker sides that only play on the counter (where we have to be make creative and decisive).

He has a role to play though and based on the games he has played already, Poch sees it that way too. It's has to be said that the results were not achieving when he is playing are nothing to do with him IMO. He was out MOTM against United and Liverpool for me and played well in the other few games

Constantly finding myself reevaluating my position on him - ultimately though i think he's probably got the season to prove himself valuable to the manager otherwise it's unlikely he'll be offered a new contract and not sold - ideally he'll do that and he and Dier will provide the competition for one part of our central midfield options which would mean another position sorted for the next few years.

I think after the summer window it's clear that Poch isn't interested in passengers or those not suited to his style, and for now at least it looks like he and the chairman are on the same page in that respect, so all in all it's not much to worry about - either he proves himself and stays or doesn't and leaves

I agree. This is a pivotal season for his Spurs future. I hope he takes the opportunity as that would be best for all of us.

A couple times yesterday toward the end he drew three players to him, beat them and had a lot space in front of him to play a counterattack ball into and played it sideways. If he could see that bigger picture he would be amazing.

Harsh assessment. Spurs had a bad first 15mins and that certainly was not solely down to Dembele. I actually thought the intense the pressure on both fullsbacks was the real problem and really unsettled us. IMO it was Dembele who dragged us back into the match with some sublime ball winning . He has his faults but yesterday there were little of them on show, especially if you factor in he was the holder and somewhat excused from the creative side of things.

I agree it's harsh. He is superb at nicking the ball, turning the play and holding. His usual trouble is he just holds it that bit too long. He needs to add a few nuances to his game. Not even add, because he has demonstrated he can do them; he only has to develop better awareness in the moment and join up his thinking more; banish that reticence to finish off his moves; have the conviction of the possibilities he creates. So often, you see him do something and find yourself anticipating a final pass or a shot that never arrives. If he could get into that territory, find the conviction to add those goals and assists to his portfolio (and I've absolutely no doubt he could; he's got a Huddlestone-like drive on him when he wants to pull it out of the hat), then I think he could yet develop into a very important player for somebody, possibly even world-class. The only barrier seems to be himself. I'd suggest intensive hypnotherapy sessions consisting of soothing female voices repeating phrases like, "Release!", "Get in the box!" and "Shoot!"

I'd go with
---Dier - - - Dembele - - -
Lamela - - Alli---Eriksen-
---------Kane-----------

Although Son walks back in when fit.

I'd go with
---Dier - - - Dembele - - -
Lamela - - Alli---Eriksen-
---------Kane-----------

Although Son walks back in when fit.

The problem with that is that you are going to see a lot of square balls out to the fullbacks from central midfield.

The last time we saw that regularly was when AVB was manager and Sandro and Dembele were playing together. At the time half this board was complaining about our slow build up play.

The problem with that is that you are going to see a lot of square balls out to the fullbacks from central midfield.

The last time we saw that regularly was when AVB was manager and Sandro and Dembele were playing together. At the time half this board was complaining about our slow build up play.

As I remember it, when Sandro and Dembele were in their pomp, we very often completely dominated midfield. Our problems then were further forward as without Bale we were toothless and we became very reliant on him and that was the problem.

As I remember it, when Sandro and Dembele were in their pomp, we very often completely dominated midfield. Our problems then were further forward as without Bale we were toothless and we became very reliant on him and that was the problem.

People were complaining before Bale left.

The problem was compounded by having central midfielders who looked to play the safe ball. This is something that both Sherwood and Poch sought to address early on.

Agreed, although it would be a very useful option for very tough away games or when we are light in defence

He was excellent yesterday. I reckon he should be our Left DM and Mason Right DM, with Dier as understudy, when all are fit.
Dembele still has to be more progressive, getting into the box, forward passes and perhaps taking fewer touches once he is in command of the ball, he is aware of this but just needs to deliver, even if occasionally the pass goes astray. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
If he and Eriksen could forge a technical understanding with Mason's running power we have the makings of an excellent all round midfield. With Son, Kane and another striker or Lamela in a fluid role would be very exciting.

Can not agree with that at all, Dier has probably been our best player this season and you want him as a understudy.

People were complaining before Bale left.

The problem was compounded by having central midfielders who looked to play the safe ball. This is something that both Sherwood and Poch sought to address early on.

That's because we had sweet all creativity in front of the CMs. With Dier being the dedicated DM this season,this gives the other CM much more license to play in a progressive way. The double privet didn't really suit Dembele but paired with Dier this would be much more formidable, especially against the better sides. Against those likely to park the bus, Alli or Mason would be better in that role to help the faster transition. Horses for courses really IMO.

Back