• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Most popular Spurs side?

chicken_badge

Gudni Bergsson
In preparation of the inevitable embarrassingly OTT homecoming of Jermaine Defoe I wondered what the most popular Spurs XI of the Premiership era would be. Not so much about ability, although it's often the best players we love, but who were the ones we felt were our "own"? The ones who would get a warm welcome on return and maybe you would feel they would still love Spurs ahead of their current side? There are a couple of one club players who I would include though...

Struggling to think of fullbacks we have worshipped....

GK Robbo
RB ?
LB ?
CB King
CB Mabbutt
CM Van Der Vaart
CM Huddlestone
LM Holtby
RM Bale
ST Defoe
ST Kane

Manager - Jol

And what would a most hated former Spurs XI look like? Here's a start;

GK Fulop
RB Carr
LB
CB
CB Campbell
CM Ghaly
CM
RM
LM
ST Berbatov
ST

Manager : gooner George

Most popular.

Lloris
Stalteri - King - Mabbutt - Ekotto
Lennon - Sandro - Davids - Bale
Van den Vaart
Klinsmann​

Bench :

Robinson, Ginola, Sheringham, Kranjcar, Dawson, Anderton, Onomah.

.....................................Robinson.....................................
Stalteri.............Mabbutt...................King...............Ekotto
Anderton.............Sandro...............Huddlestone..............Bale
....................................Van der Vaart.............................
.......................................Klinsmann..............................

Last edited:
Sandro a good shout for CM. Struggled with full backs but mention to Staltieri to Spurs fans they think of one thing :) cult hero if ever there one.

Amazing how so many of these players played on the same team...we really did have it good at one point!

Some good teams named, here's mine:

Thorstvedt
Stalteri
Mabbutt
King
Bale
Anderton
Sandro
Barmby
Ginola
Sheringham
Klinsmann

Klinsmann scrapes in to the side. I was left crestfallen when he left us after just one season. :( I know he returned, but the initial loss was a hard loss to take.

Bale plays left back, because he can & did for a while, and it allows me to have Ginola there too.

I hated Barmby leaving too, I could never understand why he was suddenly sold. I thought, at the time of the sale, that he would have a great future ahead of him.

Would Gazza not have played in the EPL in 1992?

Nope Gascoigne's last game for us was the FA cup final v Forest in 1991. He only moved in 1992, due to the injury that he suffered in the final. He had played no further games for us.

Why did Carr become unpopular? I can't remember.

I do remember that when he played for us, he was very popular. Freund became more popular in hindsight imo, I remember at the time a lot of Spurs fans didn't appreciate his lack of skill!

My team:

----------------------Robbo
-------mabbutt---dawson----king
anderton----sandro----VdV---ginola
--------klinsmann---teddy---bale

Amazing how so many of these players played on the same team...we really did have it good at one point!

Some good teams named, here's mine:

Thorstvedt
Stalteri
Mabbutt
King
Bale
Anderton
Sandro
Barmby
Ginola
Sheringham
Klinsmann

Klinsmann scrapes in to the side. I was left crestfallen when he left us after just one season. :( I know he returned, but the initial loss was a hard loss to take.

Bale plays left back, because he can & did for a while, and it allows me to have Ginola there too.

I hated Barmby leaving too, I could never understand why he was suddenly sold. I thought, at the time of the sale, that he would have a great future ahead of him.

Was it him, or his wife, that wanted to go back up north. Then his wife, allegedly, had something to do with a boss of Barmby...

Carr left "to win trophies" at Saudi Sportswashing Machine.

I had mixed feelings when Birmingham beat the goons in the League Cup a couple of years ago.

Boy was he a good right back though

Still can't believe Ghaly could be that hated for throwing his shirt on the floor in frustration at being subbed? Shame, talented player for us...

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

Surely Berbatov can't make a most hated eleven? He gave us so many great memories, and left for a much better club- big deal. Sure he had a sulk as would most if they were blocked from such an opportunity.He didn't even speak badly of us after he left...

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

Defoe was never that popular. He just had a name that rhymed with yiddo.

I'd say a good 2/3rds were Keanists to 1/3rd Defoists

Carr spoke badly of the club iirc when he left hence the ill feeling

He also gave an interview around the time scumbell left for Arsenal saying that he understood completely why he did it and that he doesn't understand furore over it. This all coincided with him getting his knee injury and missing the whole of the 2001-2002 season and world cup.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/1355233.stm

He also afterwards decided he would only ever bother turning up properly in games against the elite teams like Man Utd and played the remainder of games with the permanent hump. I liked him alot until this point but for me no player actually playing for the club should advocate what Campbell did. Even if you think it, you dont need to say it especially as he became captain after that as well.

He also needs to remember that we gave him a platform to improve as a player which he did and fair play to him for his part in it but when he broke into the side he was **** and remained so for a few seasons.

Back