• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Modric?

Would be a fantastic signing, Modric proved last night ( yet again) that he is one of the best players in the world. Winks would learn such a lot from him and him and Eriksen running our CM would be a match made in heaven.

If we can do this type of signing, we definitely should. His experience alone, all the big finals he has played in and won, I think that'd be invaluable. Poch would look after him, he wouldn't play every week. Get 20 league games plus champions league out of him, and he'd make a big contribution. How good would it be for Winks to train with Modric every day?

hahaha .. people are actually questioning "if" with Modric?

This guy has been key to RM winning 3 CL titles in a row, possibly the best player in the world in his position.

Think Toby in CB, Modric in front of him, and Eriksen in front of Modric, fudge me we would pass everyone to death, short/long, in the air, to feet ..

And he's not on Bale money ...

Together with de Ligt (gone awfully quiet lately, by the way), he's the other player I would want. I mean, just get Modders and no one else this summer and it would still be one of our best transfer windows ever.

Other than non-playing squad fills (Vorm and Llorente), has Poch ever actually signed anyone older than 25 (the age Moura, Aurier and Alder arrived at)?

It's just not his MO
It's his MO looking backwards.

And an MO that synced nicely with Levy's (and the club's) requirements.

It's clear Pochs comments at the end of the season basically said 'this is as much as I can get out of this group', a new impetus, bigger thinking was required.

It's not unreasonable to think that older experienced top level players wouldn't be acceptable to his thinking, unless you think he is wedded to the development of young players route. Furthermore, it's not like we are asking for more than one or two of these types, types that have a history of getting the job done, something that was grating on Poch after coming up short 2/3 seasons in a row.

Perhaps having older heads on the field may help him, rather than have to run things strictly from the touchline on his own?.

No chance we will be going for or getting Modric. 32 years old? Still class but for how long? I would want to be signing players of Modric class at the age he left us not the age a team like Real don't want him anymore

No chance we will be going for or getting Modric. 32 years old? Still class but for how long? I would want to be signing players of Modric class at the age he left us not the age a team like Real don't want him anymore

As you said, he’s class. If we can get a couple of good years from him then he comes in with winning experience, still one of the best midfielders in the World and he would improve our team. Even if just for a couple of years, I can’t see how we could not want him at the club. Rather him than the next average player from Ligue 1.

As you said, he’s class. If we can get a couple of good years from him then he comes in with winning experience, still one of the best midfielders in the World and he would improve our team. Even if just for a couple of years, I can’t see how we could not want him at the club. Rather him than the next average player from Ligue 1.

Thats a fair enough justification its just not for me anymore, not signing players that have had their better days elsewhere. For me thats the mindset we need to be in to make the next stage, think big if we are gonna be big

Thats a fair enough justification its just not for me anymore, not signing players that have had their better days elsewhere. For me thats the mindset we need to be in to make the next stage, think big if we are gonna be big

As long as most of our signings aren’t old, then surely we can make an exception. How many of us really want Dembele to be moved on? And yet, he’s of a similar age to Modric. To be successful I think you need a good blend of experience and youth. Manchester United may have proved that you can win with kids, but they are an exception, like Leicester City winning the Premier League in spite of being out played in most matches.

We should seek to sign mostly players who are pre peak of their career/peak of their career, but can make exceptions for the right player.

Back