• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Milos Veljkovic

Do you not think he's better option than Winks coming on for Dier?

Apart from Mason, Poch hasn't pushed through our academy players.
14 minutes in all comps last season for Onomah, 3 for Winks, 4 for Veljkovic. This season its 28 minutes for Omomah and 14 for Winks.

Even fudgeing Redknapp gave Kane 290 minutes, Carroll 572 minutes and Fredricks 159 minutes in 11/12.
I do wonder whether if we went straight from AVB to Poch would Kane and Bentaleb ever have got a real chance? Or would we just have brought in more young players like Davies, N'Jie, Dier, Alli, Wimmer and Son.

Hmmmm. I think your dislike for Poch is making you bend the history. Kane was never a starter until Poch came. You rightly mention Mason as someone that Poch has given a chance to. He has continued with Bentaleb. He is giving time to Omomah at this present moment in time. He has given time to Dier and Alli, who although they haven't come through our system are still young and shows that he gives youth a chance.

Poch doesn't need to push through our Academy players. He should only push them through when he thinks they are ready.

14 minutes in all comps last season for Onomah, 3 for Winks, 4 for Veljkovic. This season its 28 minutes for Omomah and 14 for Winks.

Even fudgeing Redknapp gave Kane 290 minutes, Carroll 572 minutes and Fredricks 159 minutes in 11/12.
I do wonder whether if we went straight from AVB to Poch would Kane and Bentaleb ever have got a real chance? Or would we just have brought in more young players like Davies, N'Jie, Dier, Alli, Wimmer and Son.

Better option than Winks as 7th/8th choice CM? How many minutes do those generally get over the course of a season?

Would Bentaleb have gotten the chance? Not until he was ready, which he wasn't when he was being picked by Sherwood.

As for Kane. LOL. He spent years working his way into the team, loans and the odd cup appearances.

Hmmmm. I think your dislike for Poch is making you bend the history. Kane was never a starter until Poch came. You rightly mention Mason as someone that Poch has given a chance to. He has continued with Bentaleb. He is giving time to Omomah at this present moment in time. He has given time to Dier and Alli, who although they haven't come through our system are still young and shows that he gives youth a chance.

Poch doesn't need to push through our Academy players. He should only push them through when he thinks they are ready.

Jesus fudging Christ do I have to preface any tiny criticism of Poch on here with "I actually like the guy, I want him here for the next years"?
Kane started the previous 6 league games scoring 3 times and getting two assists before Poch arrived and stuck him on the bench in the league for 3 months and give him 96 minutes over 10 games.

The issue with Veljkovic though is the type of players the academy was set up to produce. It produces players with technical ability who are very comfortable in possession.
Is this what Poch wants? Would he rather a physically strong player with lots of pace instead?
We are producing Carrolls and Veljkovics. Would Poch rather Alli's and N'Jie's instead?
I can see us continuing to produce good players not really suited to his system.

Jesus fudgeing Christ do I have to preface any tiny criticism of Poch on here with "I actually like the guy, I want him here for the next years"?
Kane started the previous 6 league games scoring 3 times and getting two assists before Poch arrived and stuck him on the bench in the league for 3 months and give him 96 minutes over 10 games.

The issue with Veljkovic though is the type of players the academy was set up to produce. It produces players with technical ability who are very comfortable in possession.
Is this what Poch wants? Would he rather a physically strong player with lots of pace instead?
We are producing Carrolls and Veljkovics. Would Poch rather Alli's and N'Jie's instead?
I can see us continuing to produce good players not really suited to his system.

Jesus hasn't got anything to do with it! ;). As for having to preface every criticism, I don't think you can blame people for thinking that you don't like the guy, but now that you have said it, I will not think any different. I assumed that you do not like him because you use phrases like "Even fudging Redknapp" gave youngsters more of a chance.

Kane did start the last games that Sherwood was in charge for, which coincided with us not having anything to play for. I think you would agree that Sherwood did not prefer to play Kane in his full XI. Regardless of whether Poch dropped him to the bench, Kane's run of form started with Poch and Kane, Mason, Winks and the other youngsters have praised Poch for the way he is helping them develop. He's brought on Onomah in important games.

I'm not sure that our academy is set up to produce a certain type of player either. We hardly have a lot else to compare Veljkovic with to really come to any conclusion, but it is a guess to think that Poch prefers stronger players with lots of pace. Perhaps Poch just doesn't rate him full stop. Perhaps Poch just doesn't want to play him because the kid thinks and acts better than he is. Perhaps Poch doesn't want to play anyone if they're not committed to the team. All conjecture. What we do know is that Winks, Onomah and Carrol have been getting in the squads, and actually the aforementioned 3 alongside Pritchard have been training with the first team squad rather than training with the U21s. That's quite a statement in itself do you not agree?

Does Poch prefer Alli or N'Jie compared to Carroll or Veljkovic. Well, they do play in different positions, but the evidence suggests that he does. However, is that not the right answer. Hasn't Alli proved himself a more capable midfielder than Carroll or Vejkovic? So what's wrong that he does? As I said in my post, Poch's role is to push through Academy players only if they are ready. He had no need to push through Alli, but did so because he obviously saw something.

I also don't agree that Redknapp gave youngsters more of a chance than Poch. Firstly the stats that you have produced is what 3+ years of Redknapp v 1 and a bit years of Poch. Secondly, Redknapp played them in games he didn't really give a crap about without it actually resulting in proper first team opportunities.

Pochettino's record at Southampton and Espanyol gives a pretty clear indication of his approach. Everything he's said since he came in along with what he's done pretty much confirms it.

To question Pochettino's trust in our academy players at this time seems really strange to me. The work he's done with Benaleb and Kane has been immense, even if he wasn't the one that "pushed them through". Combining good work with our academy players with good work with signed youngsters seems like the perfect approach.

Just so we're clear, the 11/12 season you're talking about was the one where Redknapp played a reserve team in the EL and saw us out of that competition in the group stages? From what I can see on whoscored.com Kane, Carroll and Fredricks played 0 minutes of PL football that season. Pochettino has already given more PL football to Onomah this season than Redknapp did to all the players you brought up in that season.

Of course "all competitions" without any context at all is a great way to cherry pick stats to fit your argument.

Pochettino's record at Southampton and Espanyol gives a pretty clear indication of his approach. Everything he's said since he came in along with what he's done pretty much confirms it.

To question Pochettino's trust in our academy players at this time seems really strange to me. The work he's done with Benaleb and Kane has been immense, even if he wasn't the one that "pushed them through". Combining good work with our academy players with good work with signed youngsters seems like the perfect approach.

Just so we're clear, the 11/12 season you're talking about was the one where Redknapp played a reserve team in the EL and saw us out of that competition in the group stages? From what I can see on whoscored.com Kane, Carroll and Fredricks played 0 minutes of PL football that season. Pochettino has already given more PL football to Onomah this season than Redknapp did to all the players you brought up in that season.

Of course "all competitions" without any context at all is a great way to cherry pick stats to fit your argument.

Plus I love it when i read snippets like this......from the fans forum with DL MP HL

• When drawing up a list of transfer targets at the end of last season, it was widely recognised that we needed a defensive mid-fielder. However, MP told DL and the rest of the THFC board, that he would turn Eric Dier into defensive mid-fielder, which he has definitely succeeded at I am sure you will agree.

Sad to see this. Of all the youth players I've watched over the past few years, Veljkovic seemed like the one with the most promise (just IMO). Perhaps he'll sink into obscurity or maybe he'll be the next Nemanja Vidić. I'd have liked him to stay at Spurs just in case!

Anyway, he's gone now and I wish him the best of luck with his career.

Sad to see this. Of all the youth players I've watched over the past few years, Veljkovic seemed like the one with the most promise (just IMO). Perhaps he'll sink into obscurity or maybe he'll be the next Nemanja Vidić. I'd have liked him to stay at Spurs just in case!

Anyway, he's gone now and I wish him the best of luck with his career.
Yes, we needed a young talented CB/DM for years... Thought he would be great for us but the coaches know their stuff so I guess we have to respect them. They know a lot we don't know. Maybe there is a buy back clause or percentage sell on fee

Yes, we needed a young talented CB/DM for years... Thought he would be great for us but the coaches know their stuff so I guess we have to respect them. They know a lot we don't know. Maybe there is a buy back clause or percentage sell on fee

Re your last sentence, knowing Levy, there will be ;)

Back