• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Millwall potentially forced to relocate to Kent

AuroRaman

Chris Armstrong
Thoughts? Obviously they're not a popular club, but personally think it's quite a big deal that this could happen. Will we see more of it in future?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/05/millwall-admit-council-scheme-leave-lewisham

Millwall Football Club have admitted for the first time that they may be forced to leave their south London home and relocate to Kent should the seizure of their land go ahead. Lewisham council’s plan to compulsorily purchase areas around the Den and sell them on to a mysterious offshore developer with connections to the current Labour administration has already drawn both disbelief and mass protest.

With the CPO likely to be confirmed at a council meeting next Wednesday Millwall have conceded publicly for the first time the club could have to leave the area that has been their home since 1910. In a statement Steve Kavanagh, their chief executive, told the Guardian: “The chairman has always been determined that this would never happen, but under such circumstances any and every option would have to be considered to secure the football club and the Millwall Community Trust’s future as viable concerns.”

Millwall have so far been cautious about conceding relocation might be the real threat. But with the community trust already set to be evicted and the club excluded from the benefits of the regeneration scheme, it also emerged last month that their academy may be unable to function under the current proposals.

There is no suggestion yet of a specific alternative site. The north Kent coast has been mentioned more broadly in the past, an uprooting that would see the club plonked down up to a hundred miles from its historic home. Such a move would also be a stunning blow to Lewisham itself. A London borough with a population the size of Iceland would be left without a professional sports club of any kind.

Should the order be confirmed the ripples will be felt by other league clubs in areas where rising land prices are likely to attract developers with an eye on regeneration. Supporters of nearby Charlton Athletic and Leyton Orient will be watching with interest, as will other mid-size Football League clubs across the country.

Until now concerns over the Millwall land-grab have centred on the council’s historic relationship with the offshore developers Renewal. Renewal’s chief executive is a former Lewisham officer and colleague of the current Lewisham chief executive, Barry Quirk, an unelected official best known locally for being paid more pro rata than the prime minister for working a three day week. In another bizarre twist Renewal was also set up and originality part-owned by the previous Labour mayor of Lewisham, Dave Sullivan. Sullivan has stated he no longer has any part in the company, which is owned by two anonymous offshore trusts based in the Isle Of Man and the British Virgin Islands.

The chair of Lewisham’s own overview & scrutiny committee, Alan Hall, has been a lone voice inside the council with the courage to speak out against the CPO process. “Millwall Football Club are part of the cultural history of London and Lewisham with over 100 years in the borough,” Hall said. “Over the past five years Renewal’s original outline planning application has fallen apart in slow motion in front of our very eyes. The ever-shrinking proposed ‘sporting village’ will drive away one of football’s most famous clubs and its highly successful community scheme.”

The AMS Millwall supporters’ organisation has led the fight on behalf of the club’s fans. On Wednesday the AMS published its own open letter to Quirk, who has emerged as the driving force behind the scheme – the mayor, Sir Steve Bullock, having stepped back due the fact he is, astonishingly, director of a Renewal-associated company, the Surrey Canal Sporting Trust.

The AMS letter points to the alarming democratic deficit in Lewisham’s elected mayor system. The current setup, introduced as a Blair government initiative, has left the borough with a largely unregulated cabinet and a chief executive, in the shape of Quirk, who has no mandate, is electorally unaccountable, but is currently heading up a scheme that will evict local residents from their homes.

The letter also points out that the council’s attempts to provide reassurance on the probity of its plans in the form of an email from Mushtaq Malik, Renewal’s CEO, are likely to be met with derision. “Is it right,” the AMS asks, “that the council has been put in a position where its chief executive is reduced to publishing emails from a third party actively denying that inside deals, murkiness and personal relationships are in play?”

The AMS also voiced its own fears that offshore developers could be allowed to succeed where the Luftwaffe’s bombs and successive economic depressions have previously been staved off: “Failure to listen to genuine concerns could, we fear, lead to Millwall Football Club’s loss of academy status as recognised by the EFL and ultimately the club being forced to relocate from the London borough of Lewisham.”

The Liberal Democrat party has also called for the plans to be scrapped. “The only compelling case that’s been made is that this Renewal scheme will be a disaster for the local community.” Bobby Dean, Parliamentary spokesperson said. “Millwall FC is the largest sporting asset Lewisham has and their future cannot be jeopardised by this luxury scheme with no regard to affordable housing. Lewisham should withdraw the plans and start again – this time properly involving the football club and local community.”

Send them back north of the river where they belong. Originally an E14 club, maybe they'd move into that other pikey ground in nearby E6.

This is a disgrace and a no more than I would expect from the local council. I expect there will be many mindless macaron laughing and making derogatory comments about the club and it's supporters but if this goes through many more small clubs will be in danger.

This is a disgrace and a no more than I would expect from the local council. I expect there will be many mindless macaron laughing and making derogatory comments about the club and it's supporters but if this goes through many more small clubs will be in danger.

I lived quite close to Charlton's ground until recently. Murmurings of the same thing happening there as well, as it's prime real estate for housing and decent transport links. Plus, Charlton is now known as Charlton Village, just up the road from Greenwich and Blackheath. It's going to be quite a desirable location going forwards.

I lived quite close to Charlton's ground until recently. Murmurings of the same thing happening there as well, as it's prime real estate for housing and decent transport links. Plus, Charlton is now known as Charlton Village, just up the road from Greenwich and Blackheath. It's going to be quite a desirable location going forwards.

I know about the Charlton situation I live near Greenwich, it would certainly explain why the club is run as badly as it is.

I know about the Charlton situation I live near Greenwich, it would certainly explain why the club is run as badly as it is.

Yeah it's run terribly. I developed quite a soft spot for them in the last couple of years, could just turn up on matchday and pick up a ticket, so I went a few times with my mate and his daughter/my goddaughter. it's a decent stadium as well.

Yeah it's run terribly. I developed quite a soft spot for them in the last couple of years, could just turn up on matchday and pick up a ticket, so I went a few times with my mate and his daughter/my goddaughter. it's a decent stadium as well.

Same here, I was hoping that we used there as a temporary home.

It's a real shame that could happen to such a lovely bunch of fans, they really don't deserve such an awful fate. When has a Millwall fan EVER done anything to deserve this horror?

Not far from Canary Wharf I guess that's why the developers want the land so much.

To be honest whatever we think of their fans, this is a step too far. Imagine if Tottenham was the next big gentrification hotspot and multinationals moved in say a couple of miles away from the ground and we were subject to this

It's shocking that they could do this. I used to live quite close to the New Den, I have no fondness for the club but wouldn't want to see this happening to anyone.

The article saying that they could move "up to a hundred miles from its historic home" to the North Kent coast. Ramsgate is only a little over 70 miles from the New Den, so I am guessing that they are moving to Calais.

Not far from Canary Wharf I guess that's why the developers want the land so much.

There's been loads of development in that part of London but there is still no shortage of land around there. I think that this is just a bent council doing favours for mates.

It's shocking that they could do this. I used to live quite close to the New Den, I have no fondness for the club but wouldn't want to see this happening to anyone.

The article saying that they could move "up to a hundred miles from its historic home" to the North Kent coast. Ramsgate is only a little over 70 miles from the New Den, so I am guessing that they are moving to Calais.

From the Den to the Jungle !

Back