• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Max Meyer

Actually they do
Hell they have 2 first 11s as seen at the confederations cup
Their light years ahead in their set up

Well their second team could probably beat the English team more often then not, and yes they are light years ahead of us and until we have a major rethink about our national team ( and it will take years to do) they probably will be for a very long time.

Well their second team could probably beat the English team more often then not, and yes they are light years ahead of us and until we have a major rethink about our national team ( and it will take years to do) they probably will be for a very long time.

But their club sides play German players

Next season we will have the reigning champions potentially having NO English players on their first 11

Pool may have 2 or 3players

City at best 2

United 2 possibly and is guess less regularly

Arsenal none!!!!!

So us and pool are the only sides in the top 6 even playing English lads regularly .... that's scary scary stuff

And 14 foreigners

Robben, Ribery, Lewandoski, Alaba, Javi Martinez, Vidal, Douglas Costa, Rafinha, Thiago, Bernat, Tolisso, Koman, Sanches and Friedl

Jésus i can not believe some fans, 17 million means he may not be good enough :rolleyes: i have heard it all now. The kid is 21 and already has four caps for his country ( and unlike England they do not give them away like confetti).

It's not his price, it's the nonchalance with which Schalke approached his contract situation and status at the club. With Goretzka, they fought tooth and nail to keep him - and now that he's probably decided to play out the final year of his contract, they're refusing to let him go and will continue playing him for one more year until he joins Bayern on a free come 2018.

With Meyer, they don't seem fussed either way if he leaves - not the club, and not the English-speaking fans on r/soccer. That indifference, coupled with his poor 2016/2017 form and his relatively low fee (in this market, at least) is what concerns me.

I haven't seen him play however £17m doesn't really buy you much nowadays. For a player with that price tag, there has to be something questionable about him - perhaps never played in a major league, or coming off a poor season, or just a raw talent with less than a season in a major league, or just had a long injury etc.

It's not his price, it's the nonchalance with which Schalke approached his contract situation and status at the club. With Goretzka, they fought tooth and nail to keep him - and now that he's probably decided to play out the final year of his contract, they're refusing to let him go and will continue playing him for one more year until he joins Bayern on a free come 2018.

With Meyer, they don't seem fussed either way if he leaves - not the club, and not the English-speaking fans on r/soccer. That indifference, coupled with his poor 2016/2017 form and his relatively low fee (in this market, at least) is what concerns me.

Are you sure? He is a kid of 21 who has been playing on a regular basis in the German lge for four seasons, already has four caps for a major nation and yet there are some who are asking what is the problem that is is going so cheap.

21 years of age and the knives are out for him? sorry mate but that (imo) is madness. Lets accept that he is still a kid and has years in front of him to improve.

Maybe so, but irrespective of his price he really does not look anything special

Are you sure? He is a kid of 21 who has been playing on a regular basis in the German lge for four seasons, already has four caps for a major nation and yet there are some who are asking what is the problem that is is going so cheap.

21 years of age and the knives are out for him? sorry mate but that (imo) is madness. Lets accept that he is still a kid and has years in front of him to improve.

I agree, he's very young - by general, non-football standards, he's barely out of his teens, and given that the trend with the millennial and post-millennial generation is in many cases to only reach conventional 'adulthood' in your mid-to-late twenties (nothing wrong with that, though - just a symptom of the general success of Western societies at creating more comfortable environments)...it's harsh to expect him to be anything like fully-formed or maxed out at 21.

But I guess my point of objection is that, while he deserves a lot of leeway and a recognition of his talent (despite his underwhelming 16-17 season)..it doesn't necessarily have to be to the extent of plumping for him coming to us in particular. Maybe I'm a bit hypocritical about this, I don't know - but I'd like to think that I try to hold a fairly rigid moral standard when it comes to judging players. If it's *our* player, they get a lot of leeway - if it's a first-team signing, I'm generally trying to write off their entire first year as a learning curve, and if it's a young player, I try to have enormously lowered expectations and a lot of support for them when they're in our shirt, regardless of how talented they actually are.

But that's with players *already here*. For players at other clubs, I have sympathy for them and don't judge them on their exploits at their own clubs, but I still compare them to other possible signings and judge their potential worth to us accordingly. And while 17m is still a lot out of context (it's more than we've paid for any player in our history, barring Janssen, Son, Lamela, Soldado and Sissoko, more or less)...within this market, it's a little bit of a question mark, and when added to the other things I mentioned (poor form last year, Schalke's seeming nonchalance about letting him go), it brings some doubts as to why he's valued the way he is.

He is a fresh-faced kid. He will definitely, 100% improve - that is almost guaranteed given his age and his obvious talent. But is that a reason to sign him over somebody else who might be better suited at this stage? I'm not sure.

Jésus i can not believe some fans, 17 million means he may not be good enough :rolleyes: i have heard it all now. The kid is 21 and already has four caps for his country ( and unlike England they do not give them away like confetti).

Lewis Holtby has 3 german caps!

Back