• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

10 reasons why Pochettino should not join ManU :

1) ManU is a fallen football dynasty which will take 20-30 years to recover (ask Liverpool)
2) Pochettino cannot work with big-name players (ask Soldado, Paulinho, Llorente)
3) Pochettino has not won any major trophies in his career
4) If Mourinho cannot not save ManU, no one else can
5) ManU is a poison chalice to highly-rated managers (ask Moyes, Van Gaal, Mourinho)
6) Young managers cannot replace Mourinho (ask AVB)
7) Pochettino's career will be over if he joins ManU (ask Moyes)
8) His reputation will be permanently damaged (ask Van Gaal, Mourinho)
9) He won't have full control like in Spurs
10) ManU won't be patient with Pochettino like Spurs (ask Moyes)

No it isn’t.
Focus on the facts of recent past.
Woodward throws money at problems. He is someone who believes money can buy time.
He should NEVER have gone the route he did hiring him in the first place!!! Many knew it was a poor fit. And what United need is time AND that money.

If he was REALLY smart, and if he sees continual improvement in the attitudes under Solksjaer, he would appoint a Solksjaer/Phelen/Carrick team with a DoF Ole wants to work with.
He can get advice from Ferguson, he has the club in his heart, he knows it, he would be a young progressive managerial appt and it would give the supporters something to get into.
If he was smart.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Steff, I'm not arguing that Man Utd is a stable outfit. I'm arguing that they are more stable and more patient than Madrid. If a manager went to Madrid and looked like he would finish 4th - 6th at Christmas (a la Moyes), he'd be fired. If a manager went to Madrid and won nothing in his first season and only got CL football (van Gaal), he'd be gone. If a manager went to Madrid and won the EL and League Cup in his first year, he'd likely go too. Even if he got a second season, he wouldn't be rewarded with a new contract for being miles behind Barcelona (a la Mourinho). United and Woodward stuck with those 3 managers for a lot longer than Madrid ever would have.

My point isn't that United are sensible or stable. It's that they are more so than Madrid. Or to phrase it another way, they are less unstable and stupid than Madrid. That's my only point. And to develop that further, that might be why Poch sees United as less of a gamble than Madrid for his next job.

It’s convenience for the press to want poch to go ....

They love this kind of story as it sells papers

What they can’t fathom is how a club like spurs can compete with united

As someone who started going in the 80s.... I can. Growing up united we’re relatively average and went through managers at a higher rate than most for that era (well it felt like it)

We were not dissimilar but were breaking transfer records and winning cups

The game moves on

Remember when ac Milan were the best side around. I remember when PSG were virtually a West Ham in France

That wasn’t that long ago, with one of the key difference now being the massive increase in media focus

Agree wholeheartedly on the fallen dynasty idea (although they have the money to be back at the top quicker than in 20 years, I’d think).

When Robbie Savage was wittering on about Poch to Utd on 606 last night one Spurs caller asked him if he still had a Nokia phone. Of course Robbie struggled to get the analogy (one-time fashionable market leader which crashed and burned when it didn’t keep pace with the rapidly changing times) but it was an apt one when thinking about Utd’s present position.

The world can change (as the same caller said, Preston North End were once the biggest club in the country) and lots in the media seem to struggle to get that.

Steff, I'm not arguing that Man Utd is a stable outfit. I'm arguing that they are more stable and more patient than Madrid. If a manager went to Madrid and looked like he would finish 4th - 6th at Christmas (a la Moyes), he'd be fired. If a manager went to Madrid and won nothing in his first season and only got CL football (van Gaal), he'd be gone. If a manager went to Madrid and won the EL and League Cup in his first year, he'd likely go too. Even if he got a second season, he wouldn't be rewarded with a new contract for being miles behind Barcelona (a la Mourinho). United and Woodward stuck with those 3 managers for a lot longer than Madrid ever would have.

My point isn't that United are sensible or stable. It's that they are more so than Madrid. Or to phrase it another way, they are less unstable and stupid than Madrid. That's my only point. And to develop that further, that might be why Poch sees United as less of a gamble than Madrid for his next job.

An incredible perspective. So your only point is to say that one elitist entitled moneybags strategy-lacking beyond throwing cash at it club is less stupid and unstable than a other??? Seriously. Does anyone actually pay attention to who Pochettino is? I am floored.
Once again mate, unless Levy fudges him he is going nowhere.

An incredible perspective. So your only point is to say that one elitist entitled moneybags strategy-lacking beyond throwing cash at it club is less stupid and unstable than a other??? Seriously. Does anyone actually pay attention to who Pochettino is? I am floored.

His brick smell worse than his brick.

Last edited:
Agree wholeheartedly on the fallen dynasty idea (although they have the money to be back at the top quicker than in 20 years, I’d think).

When Robbie Savage was wittering on about Poch to Utd on 606 last night one Spurs caller asked him if he still had a Nokia phone. Of course Robbie struggled to get the analogy (one-time fashionable market leader which crashed and burned when it didn’t keep pace with the rapidly changing times) but it was an apt one when thinking about Utd’s present position.

The world can change (as the same caller said, Preston North End were once the biggest club in the country) and lots in the media seem to struggle to get that.

they have money currently but it’s all from the brand, the brand gets damaged quickly if the football side doesnt work

Im Sure I read they had sponsors who had to pay them Much less if they weren’t in the CL for example and that has an impact, especially when they have stopped servicing their debt as much to invest in the playing side

Said it in the United thread, what I don't understand (fans, media, all) is

- If united is the biggest club in the world, with all this draw supposedly, all this cash, basically guaranteed success for anyone (or so they would have us believe the attraction is for Poch)

Why after SAF, there choice of managers has been Moyes, a has been LVG and Jose, and now an ex player as caretaker?

- Where are the biggest managerial names in the world clamoring for the job? do they know something that Poch wouldn't also know?
- I love Poch but he probably won't make the top 5 managers in the world list (has potential to), so why are none of those interested if United is such a sweet deal?

My view is that I don’t think he’s going anywhere. If you read my earlier posts, I explicitly said that.

But there is an argument for him going. Arguably, Man U, Madrid and Barcelona are the 3 top tier jobs in club football. Most managers, and Poch may or may not be one of them, would like a crack at one of those jobs.

He’s absolutely ruled out Barca which leaves Madrid and United. People said he wouldn’t go to Madrid because it doesn’t fit with his philosophy. Therefore, that leaves United who more fit with his philosophy. That was my original point with BOL. There is sense in going to United even though he reportedly rejected Madrid. And if he wants to manage one of the top clubs, accepting these are the top jobs in club football, United makes the most sense.

That’s not to say I think he’ll go. I don’t. But I’m not naive enough to think there is no chance of it happening and that there isn’t advantages of the United job over the Madrid job.

My view is that I don’t think he’s going anywhere. If you read my earlier posts, I explicitly said that.

But there is an argument for him going. Arguably, Man U, Madrid and Barcelona are the 3 top tier jobs in club football. Most managers, and Poch may or may not be one of them, would like a crack at one of those jobs.

He’s absolutely ruled out Barca which leaves Madrid and United. People said he wouldn’t go to Madrid because it doesn’t fit with his philosophy. Therefore, that leaves United who more fit with his philosophy. That was my original point with BOL. There is sense in going to United even though he reportedly rejected Madrid. And if he wants to manage one of the top clubs, accepting these are the top jobs in club football, United makes the most sense.

That’s not to say I think he’ll go. I don’t. But I’m not naive enough to think there is no chance of it happening and that there isn’t advantages of the United job over the Madrid job.

I don’t think anyone can argue that the 3 clubs you mentioned are the worlds biggest clubs

But with clubs of that size comes certain pressures which poch doesn’t have here

It actually feels like a damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t moment for him

But feck United their brick

I don’t think anyone can argue that the 3 clubs you mentioned are the worlds biggest clubs

But with clubs of that size comes certain pressures which poch doesn’t have here

It actually feels like a damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t moment for him

But feck United their brick

That’s a fair point. He wont have the control at any of those clubs that he has here. So it’ll come down to a choice for him.

Does he want the control and to finish what he’s invested 4.5 years in here or does he want a crack at a job with resources and profile he’ll probably never get at Spurs?

On a side note, had to laugh at a piece about Merson this morning. “Poch wants the United job and Kane, Eriksen and Alli will leave once he goes. And I’m not saying that as an ex Gunner.” Yeah sure you aren’t...

No doubt United are more stable and more patient than Madrid, I would just argue that it still won’t be enough for Poch...being more stable than Madrid is not much of an achievement, and as you note, Poch has a level of control with Spurs he isn’t going to get if he moves. And that level of control, the ability to make an entire club pull in one direction, is the key to his success. I think Poch knows it and he isn’t going to give that up.

I think the only real thing United can offer above us is a higher salary, but I think Poch takes the long term view on that too. As more days go by the more certain I am - he’s going nowhere.

No doubt United are more stable and more patient than Madrid, I would just argue that it still won’t be enough for Poch...being more stable than Madrid is not much of an achievement, and as you note, Poch has a level of control with Spurs he isn’t going to get if he moves. And that level of control, the ability to make an entire club pull in one direction, is the key to his success. I think Poch knows it and he isn’t going to give that up.

I think the only real thing United can offer above us is a higher salary, but I think Poch takes the long term view on that too. As more days go by the more certain I am - he’s going nowhere.

They do also offer more resources than we can offer. Look at their wage bill and transfer spend - compared to us, it's insane. If a manager wants to compete for the PL and CL, United potentially offer an easier way to do it.

That said, like you, I think that what he has created at Spurs over the last 4.5 years and the control he has at Spurs will be decisive factors in his decision. I can't believe also that Poch wasn't in the ear of Kane and Alli saying "screw the Uniteds and Madrids of this world, sign with us. We're building something unique here and the increased wages you'll get, while not as much as you'll get at United or City, are a sign of where we are going." The one thing I don't think Poch is is a hypocrite or liar so I'll be surprised if he jumps ship himself.

If it is considered a football dynasty, it will go down and take long time to recover. A few of the football dynasties that took long time (20-30 years) to recover :

Liverpool (Div.1/PL) : won 11 league titles between 1973-1990 but have not won the league since then (28 years)

Man U (Div.1/PL) : won 5 league titles between 1952-1967 but only won their next league title in 1993 (26 years)

Bayern Munich (EC/CL) : won 3 EC trophies between 1974-1976 but only won their next trophy in 2001 (25 years)

Brazil (World Cup) : won 3 World Cups between 1958-1970 but only won their next WC in 1994 (24 years)

Real Madrid (EC/CL) : won 6 EC trophies between 1956-1966 but only won their next trophy in 1998 (22 years)

Ajax (EC/CL) : won 3 EC trophies between 1971-1973 but only won their next trophy in 1995 (22 years)

Liverpool (EC/CL) : won 4 EC trophies between 1977-1984 but only won their next trophy in 2005 (21 years)

They do also offer more resources than we can offer. Look at their wage bill and transfer spend - compared to us, it's insane. If a manager wants to compete for the PL and CL, United potentially offer an easier way to do it.

That said, like you, I think that what he has created at Spurs over the last 4.5 years and the control he has at Spurs will be decisive factors in his decision. I can't believe also that Poch wasn't in the ear of Kane and Alli saying "screw the Uniteds and Madrids of this world, sign with us. We're building something unique here and the increased wages you'll get, while not as much as you'll get at United or City, are a sign of where we are going." The one thing I don't think Poch is is a hypocrite or liar so I'll be surprised if he jumps ship himself.

No doubt he would get a bigger transfer budget and wage budget at United, I’m just not convinced he would care. I think control and unity is more important to him, and more crucial to his success, than being able to chuck money at a problem. That’s why I say the only tangible thing they could really offer him is an immediate salary bump.

When Mourinho was first sacked I was 70/30 that Poch would stay, the more I’ve thought about it, I’m 95% sure he’s our Manager next season.

Some of you have made good arguments for Poch rejecting Man Utd, which gives me optimism. Why you would be this cruel to me, I have no idea.

Back