• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Let's compare records since Ferguson retired.

United

Moyes - July 2013 - April 2014
Giggs - April 2014 - May 2014
Van Gaal - July 2014 - May 2016
Mourinho - May 2016 - December 2018
Solskjaer - December 2018 -

Madrid

Ancelotti - June 2013 - May 2015
Benítez - June 2015 - January 2016
Zidane - January 2016 - May 2018
Lopetegui - June 2018 - October 2018
Solari - October 2018 -

It looks pretty similar to me.

Ah behave. You’re being disingenuous now. Firstly, Giggs was only ever put in for 4-5 games.

Secondly, United have won a League Cup, FA Cup and Europa League in that time.

Madrid have won a league, cup and 4 Champions Leagues in that time.

Ah behave. You’re being disingenuous now. Firstly, Giggs was only ever put in for 4-5 games.

Secondly, United have won a League Cup, FA Cup and Europa League in that time.

Madrid have won a league, cup and 4 Champions Leagues in that time.

I included caretakers for both. Both clubs have had two long term managers during that period (Ancelotti/Zidane for Madrid and Van Gaal And Mourinho for United). It can easily be argued that Madrid's record would have looked a lot better had Zidane not resigned last spring. Obviously, Madrid's trophy haul is far better during that period but that isn't what we were discussing.

I included caretakers for both. Both clubs have had two long term managers during that period (Ancelotti/Zidane for Madrid and Van Gaal And Mourinho for United). It can easily be argued that Madrid's record would have looked a lot better had Zidane not resigned last spring. Obviously, Madrid's trophy haul is far better during that period but that isn't what we were discussing.

We’re discussing why United isn’t the madhouse Madrid is. A fella like Benitez would have lasted longer at United as would Lopetegui. Ancelotti wouldn’t have been fired after a CL win and Zidane wouldn’t have had the speculation he had having won multiple CLs. Man U are more stable and sensible than Madrid. I can’t see how anyone can credibly argue otherwise. And for a fella like Poch, that might make United more attractive to him than Madrid.

Who is the Madrid caretaker you included by the way?

We’re discussing why United isn’t the madhouse Madrid is. A fella like Benitez would have lasted longer at United as would Lopetegui. Ancelotti wouldn’t have been fired after a CL win and Zidane wouldn’t have had the speculation he had having won multiple CLs. Man U are more stable and sensible than Madrid. I can’t see how anyone can credibly argue otherwise. And for a fella like Poch, that might make United more attractive to him than Madrid.

Who is the Madrid caretaker you included by the way?

Man united had a manager in charge for 25 years or more. That gives you stability overview a huge period

It’s really difficult to compare the two IMO as we don’t know how United board will react over a long period without Ferguson

Based on the last 7 years their not as disimilar as shown above but I do agree with you that Madrid just hire and fire

tickle my balls with a feather, i can not believe those who are saying Utd are not a bigger club then us. I hate Utd ( more then any club) but there is no doubt they are in the same box as Madrid, Barcelona when it comes to attraction for players and managers.

I do not think Poch will go there but it would be stupid to suggest that are not a draw for managers and players.

No one has said this

Based on the last 7 years their not as disimilar as shown above but I do agree with you that Madrid just hire and fire

I think that both clubs are run really badly and rely on their massive wealth to get around this. If you ran a moderate sized club the way either is run, you'd be out of business in a decade.

Man united had a manager in charge for 25 years or more. That gives you stability overview a huge period

It’s really difficult to compare the two IMO as we don’t know how United board will react over a long period without Ferguson

I don’t disagree with most of that. I wouldn’t hold United up as a beacon of stability. But they are more stable than Madrid and this whole thread of the conversation started with BOL saying that it would make no sense for Poch to go to Man U after turning down Real. Well, actually, it would because Man U won’t fire him after 3 months if it all goes a bit Lopetegui. He’ll get a reasonably fair crack of the whip there.

I still don’t think he will actually go though. And I’m kinda confused as to why there is such conviction in parts of the media that he will. For example, Kane could have had his choice of any club in the world and he picked us in the summer without the same sort of speculation. Dele signed a new contract and he could have gone anywhere pretty much too. Why is it so hard to contemplate that Poch might do exactly the same?

I don’t disagree with most of that. I wouldn’t hold United up as a beacon of stability. But they are more stable than Madrid and this whole thread of the conversation started with BOL saying that it would make no sense for Poch to go to Man U after turning down Real. Well, actually, it would because Man U won’t fire him after 3 months if it all goes a bit Lopetegui. He’ll get a reasonably fair crack of the whip there.

I still don’t think he will actually go though. And I’m kinda confused as to why there is such conviction in parts of the media that he will. For example, Kane could have had his choice of any club in the world and he picked us in the summer without the same sort of speculation. Dele signed a new contract and he could have gone anywhere pretty much too. Why is it so hard to contemplate that Poch might do exactly the same?
Probably (and rightly) he is the best man for the job and if they (the press) chose the opposite...ie he stays with us, it's just not a story.

As for Harry and Dele....they were too busy tossing themselves silly about our world cup run.

Let's hope Ole puts himself in the frame.

Super sub as a player....super sub as a manager.
I said when they appointed him, I think they should stick with him and allow him to build. He can be their Poch.
As long as he doesn't tank in the rest of the season, he'll get the job.
I believe he is essentially on a trial period, almost like a consultant. Come in, get thinks working, report to the board what needs changing and present the road map for it.

I said when they appointed him, I think they should stick with him and allow him to build. He can be their Poch.
As long as he doesn't tank in the rest of the season, he'll get the job.
I believe he is essentially on a trial period, almost like a consultant. Come in, get thinks working, report to the board what needs changing and present the road map for it.
Much as I’d love to believe that, I feel that the reality is that he’s essentially an insurance policy in case Poch doesn’t happen.

It’s convenience for the press to want poch to go ....

They love this kind of story as it sells papers

What they can’t fathom is how a club like spurs can compete with united

As someone who started going in the 80s.... I can. Growing up united we’re relatively average and went through managers at a higher rate than most for that era (well it felt like it)

We were not dissimilar but were breaking transfer records and winning cups

The game moves on

Remember when ac Milan were the best side around. I remember when PSG were virtually a West Ham in France

That wasn’t that long ago, with one of the key difference now being the massive increase in media focus

Some people are in complete meltdown over the media doing their jobs.

I have seen some people call it media bullying - FML

I am not in meltdown whatsoever but I think your definition of the media “doing their jobs” needs clear definition.

The modern sporting media’s “job” is as much to create content as it is to report. Clubs know this. Thus they use their power to co-opt various outlets into pushing their specific agendas.

What is happening here is exactly that: an agenda being forced through several outlets. I don’t call that doing THEIR job, I call it doing A job, and a rather dirty one at that. Jason Burt in the Mirror has now started to reshift the narrative and we must continue to support such media support in return.

But make no mistake; the “job” has changed from reporting to agenda-driven marketing.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Woodward can’t afford another failure. He’s under a lot of pressure in the wake of Mourinho’s sacking. There is also a much stronger culture in Spain of presidents signing players regardless of what the manager wants.

United are more sensible in their outlook than other clubs particularly the other top tier sides. They gave Moyes a 6 year contract. Okay they sacked him 10 months in but only after a spectacular failure (in not getting CL football). They gave Mourinho a contract extension when he’d done nothing more than win two second rate trophies and show some progress in the league. They only fired him when the situation became untenable. Madrid fired their coach after 3 months. Even look at the supporters. At United, they never really turned on Mourinho at the games. In Madrid, lose to the Spanish equivalent of Brighton or Derby and the white hankies are out.

I know we want to talk the United job down but it is so much more stable and they’re much more sensible than, say, Madrid.

No it isn’t.
Focus on the facts of recent past.
Woodward throws money at problems. He is someone who believes money can buy time.
He should NEVER have gone the route he did hiring him in the first place!!! Many knew it was a poor fit. And what United need is time AND that money.

If he was REALLY smart, and if he sees continual improvement in the attitudes under Solksjaer, he would appoint a Solksjaer/Phelen/Carrick team with a DoF Ole wants to work with.
He can get advice from Ferguson, he has the club in his heart, he knows it, he would be a young progressive managerial appt and it would give the supporters something to get into.
If he was smart.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Back